The Cars - Live on Fallon

The Cars were one of the first non-Beatles bands I got into as a kid. First two albums are killer. Candy O is a masterpiece in the way integrates rock guitars and synth lines. Elliot Easton made some of the melodic solos ever. He could also range from the fiery rock leads at the end of You're All I've Got Tonight and then turn around and do a country thing in Best Friend's Girl.

One thing I'm confused about. Move Like This came out in 2011. Why would they be on Jimmy Fallon promoting it now?

One thing I'm confused about. Move Like This came out in 2011. Why would they be on Jimmy Fallon promoting it now?

I thought it was a recent performance, based on when the video was uploaded to YouTube. According to the description however, the episode aired on May 24th, 2011. Wow, only took me 6+ years to hear about the album.

"The Cars playing Let's Go on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon May 24, 2011 Ric Ocasek, Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, David Robinson"

I thought it was a recent performance, based on when the video was uploaded to YouTube. According to the description however, the episode aired on May 24th, 2011. Wow, only took me 6+ years to hear about the album.

"The Cars playing Let's Go on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon May 24, 2011 Ric Ocasek, Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, David Robinson"

That makes sense! I was also thinking I had just seen Greg Hawkes playing keys for Todd Rundgren at a show I was at last week so I couldn't figure out how he'd made it there.

Phantom bass player with an SVT stack on stage.

Was it a backing track or did they put the hired help out of camera view?

For a second I though Bill Ward was playing drums with them.

I love The Cars, but Ben Orr is some pretty big shoes to fill on bass.

Last edited:
I love the cars but Virtual Instruments+Electric Drums+real guitars/amps- don't work on live tv
They're great but- wasn't tight-

On the other hand Metallica went Fractal and I've never heard Lars tighter and more perfect with the band- they're spot on

LOL! The digital guitars must have sparked something in Lars. Probably renewed by Kirk and James using Fractal gear. Has to be true.

I love these guys who haven't lived the pressure/life of a rock star and brag they're holding up just fine in comparison. Great entertainment value there guys, thanks!

Love Eliot Easton. Used to post over on the old 'voxtalks' board. Great guy. His solo's were the pinnacle of how to put forth an idea that wasn't simply derivative of the vocal line.

Honestly, I've avoided the recent Cars album, as well as the Rundgren 'New Cars' version. I want to remember them with the crispness of the early stuff. And yes, it's not the same without Ben.

Back
Top Bottom