The best advice for setting up your guitar on the internet

I have been using open string and highest fretted note for several years after reading about it from Rich at ibanezrules.com.

It works really well and doesn't even require a strobe tuner to get very good results.

I was helping intonate a friend's guitar and I came to the conclusion that his low E nut slot must be poorly cut because I could not get it to intonate properly with the open string no matter what.

I'll try the 3rd fret method next time to see how it works.

My only concern with that method as I've experienced with what I'm doing now is that you need to be careful you're not making the note sharp by pressing too hard or accidentally bending it slightly.

Yeah, one of the guitars I intonated has jumbo frets and I took extra care not to bend the notes sharp. Also, I find that it helps to pick lightly because a strong pick attack will pull the note sharp as well.

Here another action setup method I found in a forum, called the "Biddlin" method. Makes sense too :)

Begin by setting the bridge height for frets 17-21(2) so that the strings play buzz free at the lowest possible height.

Start with low E. Lower the bass side until it buzzes, raise until clear. Check A and D raise slightly if needed to get clean notes. Then do the treble side. If you bend notes up here, try a few typical bends, to make sure they don't buzz out.

When all strings play clean go to the lower frets and neck relief. Play the high E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod) to relieve buzz or decreasing relief (tightening trussrod) to lower the string height. So tighten, by fractional turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't. If you bend strings , do your typical bends to insure they don't buzz out. Once satisfied, check the other strings and make small adjustments as needed.

Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done.

This is the opposite order of most setup directions. It is based on performance and not measurements, hence, I don't take any. It works because the neck is immobile between frets 17 and 22. The trussrod only affects lower frets. By setting the upper end first, you know any buzzes are coming from too little relief. This method works for most guitars, with truss rods.
Sorry but this is utter rubbish. It does not identify any issues with the guitar it is like just raising the action until it stops buzzing regardless of the cause. Too much relief play havoc with the geometry of what NEEDS to happen to make a guitar play well. This is Like having a Ferrari with the engine misfiring and because it still drives saying it is fine.

Yeah, one of the guitars I intonated has jumbo frets and I took extra care not to bend the notes sharp. Also, I find that it helps to pick lightly because a strong pick attack will pull the note sharp as well.
Not really because what is the point of setting your guitar up playing one way then as soon as you gig it it is out of tune because that's not how you actually play. It needs to be picked how you would normally and the bending strings because you can't get the pressure right is something you would need to fix in your playing anyway.

It all depends on if you have a tuner that is equipped with the Buzz Feiten settings or can program them in to one. If you do you need to follow John's setup all the way to the intonation setting and then follow the instructions with the tuner ( korg DT7 etc.) The system is predicated on offset open and twelfth fret settings to temper the tuning . If you do 3rd and 15th you will come in to conflict with the intended result.

Thanks Andy! I'm surprised John didn't mention the Feiten system since he did offer it on his guitars. I have been using similar techniques for setups for years but hadn't heard of using the 3rd & 15th fret notes for setting intonation before.

Last edited:
Learned about focusing on intonating fretted notes, nice!

I do like a tiny bit more height on my nut than the strictly necessary minimum, which apparently Michael Landau does too :p

Thanks Andy! I'm surprised John didn't mention the Feiten system since he does offer it on his guitars. I have been using similar techniques for setups for years but hadn't heard of using the 3rd & 15th fret notes for setting intonation before.
Suhr has stopped using BFTS quite a long time ago.

Back to setup. dumb question:
Any magic tricks to adjust the relief on a strat, or other guitar where you have to take the neck off to get to the truss rod adjuster?

That adjustment balances the pull of the truss rod against the pull of the strings, so making it straight with the neck off the guitar isn't the right thing.
So, check intonation with the neck on, figure out what direction to go, take it off, adjust some amount by your gut, put neck back on, recheck?

Back to setup. dumb question:
Any magic tricks to adjust the relief on a strat, or other guitar where you have to take the neck off to get to the truss rod adjuster?

That adjustment balances the pull of the truss rod against the pull of the strings, so making it straight with the neck off the guitar isn't the right thing.
So, check intonation with the neck on, figure out what direction to go, take it off, adjust some amount by your gut, put neck back on, recheck?
Not really you have to judge it at tension and make a guesstimate on how much to turn it . If you are new to this start with an 1/8 ~ 1/4 turn put it all back and see. You will quite quickly learn how to judge the feel of how tight or loose the bar is.

I could almost say that's just mean ;)
Troy's stuff is for advanced guitarists trying to play as fast as humanly possible, not for a novice trying to get started.

I'm afraid I don't have a better reference for beginners though.
He did say to pro and Troy can save you a LOT of time. It was years before I figured out I economy pick all the time if possible. It didn't occur to me until I tried to play easy repetitive riffs and kept tripping over them but I can play whole Yngwie pieces at tempo without too much trouble. Basically I have the same picking style as YJM and EJ and that makes their stuff just flow when you play it as long as you use the original fingerings.

He did say to pro and Troy can save you a LOT of time. It was years before I figured out I economy pick all the time if possible. It didn't occur to me until I tried to play easy repetitive riffs and kept tripping over them but I can play whole Yngwie pieces at tempo without too much trouble. Basically I have the same picking style as YJM and EJ and that makes their stuff just flow when you play it as long as you use the original fingerings.

When I was growing up my uncle would give me shit for always starting with an upstroke. He said it would probably lead to problems down the road. Well, my uncle was wrong. I certainly can‘t recall the steps I went through 20 years ago, but when I started to get into Petrucci, Vai and EJ, I worked really hard on my right hand and never “corrected” the upstroke thing. I do know that this taught me how to pick inside the strings with ease, which I remember from Petrucci’s Rock Discipline, he commented in regards to people without issues with that, “We’ll just have to shoot them.”. I know I never focused on economy picking because I was confused by it when I first saw it mentioned/taught somewhere. I was already doing it and I feel it was a result of starting with upstrokes and having to get from one place to the other from that point.

I’ve been re-teaching my buddy how to play recently after he took a 10-year hiatus (he wasn’t exactly a killer guitarist back in the day) and it’s caused me to analyze a lot of my own playing. I just never paid much attention to it. I think after years of building speed, my hand just did it’s own thing and I was satisfied with the speed I achieved so I never looked down and thought, ”Oh, look at that, I’m picking Up, Up, Down”, or vice versa. I know now that I don’t ALWAYS start with an upstroke, I just know I do it a majority of the time. Not even sure why I started doing it.

Not really you have to judge it at tension and make a guesstimate on how much to turn it . If you are new to this start with an 1/8 ~ 1/4 turn put it all back and see. You will quite quickly learn how to judge the feel of how tight or loose the bar is.
Do you wind your strings differently while you're doing this? I wouldn't expect to be able to reuse them if they have only a short bit around the post, like I usually do.

Back
Top Bottom