The Axe-Fx is like a juicy burger...

Lopp

Inspired
I've been trying to think of a good analogy for my view of the Axe-Fx, especially in light of posts about the Standard vs the Ultra and posts about whether the Standard will ever be "obsolete."

One of the closest ones is comparing it to a juicy burger or steak (or whatever your favorite food is). The reason this works for me is because, like a juicy burger, the Standard Axe-Fx does everything I need for my taste. I don't need additions, embellishments, or upgrades because it is exactly what I need. Of course, additional features are like different toppings that can embellish it, but the basic requirement is there and this will never change.

Another good analogy is like your favorite guitar that has everything you need. The neck feels right, it sustains just right, the pickups are just right, and it does everything you need. Just like finding your perfect tone(s) in the Axe-Fx, where you get to the point where it is exactly what you desire.

I think people wonder about future upgrades because the Axe-Fx is based on a processor and people view it like computers that eventually become obsolete. However, the Axe-Fx is supposed to be like an amp, and, from what I recall, some of the best amps in history still produce the same excellent tone today as the first day they came out. Just like a juicy burger: It tasted great when you first tried one and nothing will change the fact that it still tastes great.

Granted, some people like to tweak and love getting new features and new amp models and Cliff just rocks in giving these features to us.

Personally, I like to gig and play more than tweak and, even after almost two years, Axe-Fx gives me everything I need. Just like a juicy burger.

Lopp said:
.....but the basic requirement is there and this will never change.

This line is the most telling, and the truth.

I too, am vaguely irritated at all the 'updated Axe-FX' talk. That somehow some future embellishments will *sound* better, or offer more functionality. I'll guess that very few outside of our 'power users' pull more than 30 - 40 % of the AxeFX's capabilities, so talk of an 'updated' one seems a little silly.

IMO.

electronpirate said:
so talk of an 'updated' one seems a little silly.

I think this has more to do with habit than anything.

Most people are used to the whole "new model every year" format and when a company doesn't do that it unnerves them a bit.

But then again most companies use out dated hardware to begin with, so that they have room to upgrade every year. Cliff didn't do this. He started with the most cutting edge hardware that was available, and because of that it will be quite a while before there is viable room to upgrade, and have any significant improvement in the hardware itself.

Me? I hope he waits quite a long time before he drops the next-gen, because I'd like to get at least 5 to 6 years out of my Ultra before I start to feel GAS for the next-gen Axe-FX. :D

You know, I've gotten lucky two years ago or I wouldn't have had an Axe yet either. So, Tiz, not trying to razz you, but is there an Axe on the horizon for you yet? Or do you have one and I missed the announcement?

And stop feeding those other guys. They're baiting your hook and you're swallowing line and sinker.

Dutch said:
You know, I've gotten lucky two years ago or I wouldn't have had an Axe yet either. So, Tiz, not trying to razz you, but is there an Axe on the horizon for you yet? Or do you have one and I missed the announcement?

And stop feeding those other guys. They're baiting your hook and you're swallowing line and sinker.

One day, but at this point I don't know when.

It seems every time the light is at the end of the tunnel fate kicks me in the balls, and says, "NO, IT IS NOT YOUR TIME!!!"

What they say wouldn't piss me off so much but I went out, got a job, had some money saved, and then got sand kicked in my face again. I'd share more about that, but that would just feed their fire.

And that's annoying too, because one of the main reasons I even joined ANY music forums at all is because there aren't any people where I live that feel the way I do about gear, and understand what it is like to crave the perfect tone. In fact, many of the people here are the only ones that I can relate to on that level, and can understand what it is like to be a person with those needs. It's hard not to share the struggles I've had trying to get an Axe-FX.

Back
Top Bottom