The Aristocrats-"BOING We'll Do It Live"

Hahaha when I first saw it I thought it was ONE song and I'm thinking 'what the... His guitar changed. What the he has the black thing over the nut.. What the this song is ALL over the place' and then I realized it was clips of different songs. Lol. I'm used to music fading in and out for each song. Anyways!! Awesome!! That guy can burn

Hahaha when I first saw it I thought it was ONE song and I'm thinking 'what the... His guitar changed. What the he has the black thing over the nut.. What the this song is ALL over the place' and then I realized it was clips of different songs. Lol. I'm used to music fading in and out for each song. Anyways!! Awesome!! That guy can burn
HAHAHAAH!

^ Indeed!!!
Including the video here for passers by. Pretty awesome!

Actually that video seems to be the wankiest bits stuck together.

I can definitely listen to the Aristocrats for a whole DVD. But not a whole evening of the wanky bits. :D Gots to have me some melodies and riffs to glue the wanky bits together.

Fortunately I can dig the melody out of the madness that is the Aristocrats.

3:08 sounded slightly less busy with some melody... and then at 4:53 onwards some blues but they missed the end of the turnaround :D

Some good instrumental stuff going down there.

Quite the achievement considering Guthrie's use of a fretless guitar on several of the songs.

Good point, and well made. ;)

There's no denying the technical ability, and I am an in awe of that for sure, but I sometimes find this genre somewhat mechanical and difficult to listen to for more than a few tracks. That's all, no biggie.

There's no denying the technical ability, and I am an in awe of that for sure, but I sometimes find this genre somewhat mechanical and difficult to listen to for more than a few tracks. That's all, no biggie.
Don't worry. You're not alone. But you would do yourself a disservice to not investigate the aristocrats further. They have a lot of harmony to offer. They just offer it very fast. :)
It's hard-fusion. There's much more complexity in there than the usual Instrumental guitar music which sometimes feels kinda flat in comparison. Bloody ridiculous how much. Just trying to decifer Guthrie's blistering runs and how much knowledge and originality is in there is mindboggling.

Don't worry. You're not alone. But you would do yourself a disservice to not investigate the aristocrats further. They have a lot of harmony to offer. They just offer it very fast. :)
It's hard-fusion. There's much more complexity in there than the usual Instrumental guitar music which sometimes feels kinda flat in comparison. Bloody ridiculous how much. Just trying to decifer Guthrie's blistering runs and how much knowledge and originality is in there is mindboggling.

Thanks Dutch for a well-considered response. I'd certainly like to hear more of their stuff and will definitely check out some other tunes. I think the post by dkijc is quite telling, he thought it was just one long track at first listen which tends to suggest that each clip is somewhat similar in style and delivery. Perhaps the actual tracks are more varied if listened to in full.

If you get around to it, Guthries Solo CD Erotic Cakes is very good too. Waves and Sevens are very famous by now, can find loads of those on Youtube. Waves is aptly titled. The main melody is made up of mostly passing notes. You'd expect them to "resolve" into some note, but they don't, they go on to another passing note. And another and another, sliding around and intertwining and not resolving until the end of the passage. It really does "wave" up and down and could very well induce seesickness. I could forgive people for finding it gets on their nerves. It doesn't with me.
See this at about 2:20: The ARISTOCRATS - "Waves" live @ Birdy's (Indianapolis, IN) - YouTube
Aw shucks. Watch the whole song, and watch out at 3:24.

I find his playing very interesting melodywise even as fast as he does. There's a "warmth" to his playing in that it's not at all sterile and cold to me, like some players. I should try slowing down some solo's. I believe they would still be very interesting at half speed.

And this band genuinely seems to love what they do. They laugh at certain passages, they make jokes. They really have loads of fun on stage.

Enough of the advertisement.

@dutch The Waves video link is great...

I noticed The Aristocrats, Guthrie Govan, Marco Minnemann, Bryan Bellar, all the artists first and last names begin with the same initial. What does this mean ?

I absolutely agree with Dutch. There is a ton of melodic content in "Aristocrats" material,so do yourself a favor and buy the DVD to experience that. This video is just for promotional purposes and does not serve as a verdict of the entire epic performance at all. And also if you're looking for something else that is guitar oriented and melodic,I recommend checking out Marco Sfogli's new instrumental "reMarcoble". So many melodic passages and interesting ideas,not one boring instrumental.

Anyhow get the Aristocrats DVD and Marco's album,you'll be loving the sounds you hear :D

Back
Top Bottom