The 12MA impression after a few weeks use & the Atomic FRFR

guitarded said:
OK...FWIW...and this is just MHO...but I bet we will be seeing many more qualifiers (IMO-YMMV & so on...) pop up in all of our threads now!
But this is just IMOHO and YMMV... :lol: :lol:
...sorry... :oops:

Frankly, that's a GOOD thing.

IMHO, YMMV.

:D

Scott Peterson said:
Ringleader said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":3f8pchxe]
FWIW, I've never auditioned nor used a 12ma, let alone posted any opinion of it. Just to keep the record straight. (Add the Coda to that list too, just to be complete!) :D

You're right, I wasn't meaning the 12ma specifically but I was referring to the concept of hyping a product on a forum and people jumping on the bandwagon in general. First the Axe-Fx which was ultra-mega-hype-zilla, then the JBL, then the QSC, and now the FBT (although the 8ma and not the 12ma). These glowing reviews are like a double edged sword and like Dojo (and now others since I started typing this) also stated I don't think some folks take the "YMMV" for as important it really is. It's just people sharing their thoughts and those thoughts can change from day to day or even minute to minute. I think A LOT of people bought the Axe-Fx because of your initial review from years ago. I know I bought one and tried it back then but really disliked it (at that time) and sent it back for a refund.

But on the other side of the sword :) , I'm happy I gave the Axe-Fx another shot as I really enjoy it now and all the advancements that have come with it. I also would have probably never tried the QSC if I hadn't read yours (and others) reviews, which I am also very happy with, so I thank you for both of those recommendations - even though it took a couple years to fully appreciate one of them. :D

I honestly try to keep away from 'hype' if at all possible. I speak of things as subjective opinion and NOT as objective truth. I always have, and I always will. When I am excited by something, I am excited to post about it and I always couch those opinions with MANY qualifiers - IMHO, YMMV - and so on.

My opinion, when I am digging something, is often interpreted as 'hype' and 'hyperbole' when I am expressing my subjective opinion. I have a right to my opinion and a right to express it; and I try to do that with context so that others can judge for themselves whether they agree with me or not.

As Alec notes above, my opinion is not some 'universal truth' by ANY stretch. It's just me sharing my experience with whatever I am talking about.

And one other quick point of fact, I only express opinions based on personal experience. I NEVER (EVER!) express a subjective opinion from a third party as "MY" opinion. (You are not the subject of that point, but adding it here anyway. :D )[/quote:3f8pchxe]

I know that some of Scott's reviews influenced me to at least "TRY" the AxeFX -- and I'm extremely glad I did. I'm on my third one and it took this long to really dig in and appreciate this thing. I'm starting to get very comfortable with a traditional power amp / guitar cab rig in a very short time. So much so that I might actually bail when my name gets called for the Fractomic (but knowing me I'll buy it first, then take a huge loss if I need to sell it :(
I never, ever got the impression that any of the reviews on here were anything but subjective and people's own opinions. I find reviews EXTREMELY helpful to try and discern what may or may not work for ME (never, what will or MUST work for me).
Anyway, I'm actually glad that the OP has listed the Verve 12ma was not for him in his situation. It's great to hear about real world, first hand experience to look what to shop for!
On a side note I came to the realization that no amp can ever match what this unit can do... it's an amazing piece of gear, unbelievably flexible and so freakin FUN!!!

I would like to try this set up with 2 12ma's but not sure about making that investment now that the Atomic FRFR is on its way.

I think part of the problem is most of us can't afford to cycle through gear. we can't purchase FBT's and QSC's to compare for ourselves, so we have to look at reviews from people who did. Nature of the beast.

That's what I love about the Axe. "Hey, I wonder how a Diezel will sound through a 8x10 bass cab..." turn a few knobs and I'm there.

GuitarDojo said:
I would like to try this set up with 2 12ma's but not sure about making that investment now that the Atomic FRFR is on its way.

Where did you see that they were available?

My son said It was on tgp tonight that "it's coming soon"

These days I have been using the 2 FBT 15ma's I have with the AX-FX I got from Scott and with a set of Electric Drums.

Were mixing both signals together sometimes we run bass that way through the FX and use the 15ma for it with a Roland Drum Monitor

I just recieved a pair of new smelling used 12ma's. I have been using a pair of QSC HPR122i's for over a year. In short, my existing patches (custom and stock) sound better through the 12ma's.
Better, to me, means more like a real guitar cabinet. I can hear the cabinet (boxiness ?), not just the speaker. My "haunting mids" seem to have returned. In fact, as I tried the far-field IRs that Jay was kind enough to give us, my patches sounded too boxy and would need tweaking/EQing.

The QSC's hi-end harshness (to me anyway) is gone. The QSC's low end boom is gone. I'm happy. This will be my portable solution.

Once I have a few gigs with the 12ma's under my belt, the next step will be to have some fun combining them with my XTC stack rig. Maybe a wet/dry thing.

IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc ... ;)

One gig using the 12ma's. Nice. A little more natural sounding than the HPRs in a lighter and smaller package. Not perfect, but I am done with the speaker side of things.

I had to use it today. Played a venue where they had AWESOME FOH but crappy onstage monitoring. (Go figure)
Anyway , it sounded soooo bad thorugh the in house monitors i had them take me out of the onstage mix. I cranked the 12ma and we were all good. Whew. I am still debating.........

GuitarDojo said:
...I cranked the 12ma and we were all good. Whew....
And thus, the reason for holding onto a piece of gear. If you move around at all on stage, you'll miss the coaxial speaker big time.

TonyGring said:
Was the venue a church?
Yes. Very Big Stage!!!

solo-act said:
GuitarDojo said:
...I cranked the 12ma and we were all good. Whew....
And thus, the reason for holding onto a piece of gear. If you move around at all on stage, you'll miss the coaxial speaker big time.
The 12ma got a reprieve for now. Mostly for the size ,ease of set up and not sucking!.

GuitarDojo said:
I had to use it today. Played a venue where they had AWESOME FOH but crappy onstage monitoring. (Go figure)
Anyway , it sounded soooo bad thorugh the in house monitors i had them take me out of the onstage mix. I cranked the 12ma and we were all good. Whew. I am still debating.........
This is something to keep in mind for those of us who are considering IEM's as an alternative to picking up a good FRFR system for on-stage monitoring. In my case, at least initially, I will be the only one using in ears, and I cringe when I think about how the AxeFX would sound through our stage monitors. If I go in-ears that's all they will hear. If I have a good stage monitor, carefully positioned with decent coverage, what I play will enrich the band. This might not be the case for some stages and configurations.

Thanks for bringing this up GuitarDojo.

Terry.

After having the Ultra for just 1 week, and readying many posts
comparing FRFR versus Cabs; I decided to do a side by side comparison
between the amp I was initially thinking might work :lol: , and FRFRs.

The gear:
Marshall MG250Dfx - Stereo, consumer grade product
Behringer B212A active monitor - consumer grade product
JBL PRX535 active 3 way speaker - Pro grade product

Result (to my ears):
MG250Dfx - acceptable sound, stereo, ok as backup
B212A - better highs than the amp, murky mids, muddy low end
PRX535 - crystal clear highs, warm mids, punchy lows ..

As the test progressed, it was like lifting a veil over the sonic quality of the Ultra
at each pass. Now I'm GASsing for a good FRFR to use as my stage monitor and selling
everything else! ;)

Any thoughts on Electro Voice SXA100 Plus; looks very nice..

Back
Top Bottom