That old "no sound" chestnut!

I got my Axe FX II Xl yesterday and plugged it in for the first time today. Wasn't fussed on the last owners presets so wanted to make my own using Axe Edit.

Soooo...just did a firmware upgrade to 7.01 and refreshed all the presets to factory ones. Before I did so, I noticed that when trying to create a blank preset on Axe Edit no matter how much I linked up the cables, blocks and shunts on the grid...I got nothing, no volume...hense the firmware upgrade.

I fee gutted that I need to ask this here as it's probably really simple but I've googled and read the grid parts of the manual but can't see what I'm doing wrong. Everything is connected in my blank presets and nothing and now that I've restored factory presets, I get no sound out of them now either.

Could it be that now I've plugged in USB that my unbalanced jack outputs have been disabled? Again, I can't see how to fix that. But maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Sorry for being a noob, guys!

upload a preset that you've made. or at least a screen shot of the entire grid to start.

nothing disables the Output jacks other than turning down volume, or not connecting all blocks.

I'll try to get a screenshot within the hour but basically put a Rectifier amp block in the middle of the grid with a 4x12 recto cab with SM57 further along the same line. Filled ALL the blank blocks on that line with shunts and linked everything up with cables from start to finish on that line

Have you checked IO on the Axe FX front panel to make sure you've got the right settings there?

Are you seeing the signal lights on the front light up as you play?

Ok good, so at least the input settings should be right. I use SPDIF for sound to my interface and USB for Axe edit only. Sometimes I forget to switch back between SPDIF and analogue inputs, but if you're getting the lights then the inputs should be fine.

How are you connecting for sound? The output knobs on the front of the Axe FX control the jack outputs but digital is all related to the patch settings.

@chris Im using USB for Axe-Edit only and using 3m Van Damme cables with neutric jacks feeding L/R to two Yamaha DXR10s.

Like I said, it was all making sounds before I upgraded firmware. But before I upgraded, Axe-Edit wouldn't allow me to get sound out of new presets.

@chris yes, definitely. Like I said, I was playing them before the firmware update and turned nothing off...just wanted to carry on playing. Actually, after firmware, the old presets still played sound...then I refreshed all the presets with factory ones, then all sound stopped.

Have you tried re-loading the firmware? I've never had to do that, I'm not sure what's going on but I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it!

Did you buy this new or used? I asked because you said you got an XL II and not an XL II+.

If you bought it used then definitely perform a complete system reset.

Check the physical output knobs are up and also check the Utilities->Status page and make sure you see a signal on the outputs shown on that screen.

Good Luck, you'll figure it out quickly enough.

Output 1 or output 2?
Guys, I'm so sorry, this was it...I was plugged in output 2 :-(

So sorry for wasting people's time and thanks all for your concern/help! I got there. Wow, what a novice!

On the plus side, it sounds SOOO much better than it did (obviously I was hearing the pre-FX-loop signal before and it sounded a little bit "not worth the couple of grand I dropped on it"! haha). I think I'm going to fall in love with this thing pretty quickly! haha.

Apologies!

I was hoping you'd discover this with my previous questions. Oh well ;)
Guys, I'm so sorry, this was it...I was plugged in output 2 :-(

So sorry for wasting people's time and thanks all for your concern/help! I got there. Wow, what a novice!

On the plus side, it sounds SOOO much better than it did (obviously I was hearing the pre-FX-loop signal before and it sounded a little bit "not worth the couple of grand I dropped on it"! haha). I think I'm going to fall in love with this thing pretty quickly! haha.
Apologies!

Back
Top Bottom