Thank you for the compander in the delay blocks!

Orvillain

Power User
Gotta say.... I know it seems like a small thing, but the compander in the delay block has completely transformed the delays for me. I love it. I can now really dial in all the mushiness and 'orrid stompbox nastiness that I was looking for from the Axe II so many years ago.

Being a delay fiend, these kinds of things are super important to me. So thanks @FractalAudio !!

I don't understand the Compander at all 😬
BBDWithCompanderDiagram.png

This diagram from here should explain it. It's a way to optimize the signal to noise ratio. But it gives delays a certain quality that you don't get without. You can see that first the signal hits a compressor, then a lowpass filter, then the delay line, then another low pass, and then an expander.

Then the signal is sent to the output, but also fed back to the input; this feedback path is what creates your typical decaying-into-the-distance delay sound.

But what's great is that each time you get this extra layer of degradation from the low-pass filters and the compression and expansion that fight each other to keep the level constant; which it obviously cannot do forever of course.

It's a pleasing effect that can be quite subtle, but it does become apparent when you crank the feedback - if you get a delay oscillation going, the sound with and without the compander are quite different.

I love dark and gritty delays! Yea, the compander in the delay block is great to have. I'm totally a delay junky too- was just messing around with a tape echo and a Meet Maude in stereo, each panned to a side... what a sound. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom