Testing out The Metal Foundry

How much time did you have to spend to arrange the drum track? I only ask as the drums sound straight pro in your clip, makes me want to order s2 and metal foundry, but i havent had much experience sequencing drums.

matt15f said:
How much time did you have to spend to arrange the drum track? I only ask as the drums sound straight pro in your clip, makes me want to order s2 and metal foundry, but i havent had much experience sequencing drums.

Pro? Wow thanks! That means a lot! I really didn't spend that much time on the drums for this clip. It is pretty easy with S2.0!

I use Cubase 4 and Cubase has a feature called the "drum editor". I haven't had experience with anything other than Cubase 4, but it really takes very little time with Cubase to complete my drum tracks. I guess it would just depend on how complex you want to make the drum track.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

matt15f said:

How long it takes really depends on what you're doing and how good you are at doing it. There are of course sequences that come packaged with the products that can help you get started and get ideas down quickly. They're also I guess a good way I guess for someone less experienced in drums and sequencing to see what can make up a good drum sequence.

How much detail you go into also affects how much time it takes. I can program a good sounding section of drums in just a few seconds (about 10 years of MIDI programming experience mind you). If I have to go back later and edit everything to make it sound more realistic though, it can take quite a few hours of work. Most people probably wouldn't bother with it though, but it depends what you're after. For most, a good beat with some fills and the appropriate dynamics programmed in would probably cover it. If you want to move every note around slightly off perfect timing to make it sound more realistic... that can take a fair bit of time. Again though, most probably don't bother with that, and in the case of tight-as-fuck metal, people generally want the drums pretty much machine-like in the timing anyway.

So I've been playing around with the ezdrummer lite that i have, and I have made a little headway. It has a section of the drum kit from hell on it, that I like, but since its the 'cheap' version, it doesn't have that much stuff on it. Does the full version have a lot more to offer? This seems to be a cheaper alternative to s2 and the metal foundry lol.

I did love the drums in your track though dude.

Porkchop Xpress said:
Wow... Very nice work. :shock:

Many thanks Porkchop Xpress!!!

So I've been playing around with the ezdrummer lite that i have, and I have made a little headway. It has a section of the drum kit from hell on it, that I like, but since its the 'cheap' version, it doesn't have that much stuff on it. Does the full version have a lot more to offer? This seems to be a cheaper alternative to s2 and the metal foundry lol.

I did love the drums in your track though dude.

Thanks again. I haven't ever used DFH with EZdrummer before, but i bet there is a lot more found on the retail version. Toontrack has a youtube page. You could check there and it might have some more visual information on EZdrummer there.

I love EZDrummer (using the stock Pop/Rock kit only). It's the cheapest (about EUR 100,- currently) and quickest way to lay down a convincing drum track for me. A nice library of very good sounding MIDI-beat-clips. The sound is already pre-mixed, but I have been able to mix it to my taste with a little gate, compression and eq on the single tracks and some drum-bus treatment (except for the kick). I always wanted to upgrade to Superior Drummer 2.0, but to be honest, I don't really miss anything. The Drumkit From Hell extension sounds like total crap IMHO. Very thin and not beefy at all.

I just got some beyerdynamic DT 770's so I am relistening to a lot of the recordings here. This clip sounds great and has an early Sevendust sound to it. Again, nice job.

Porkchop Xpress said:
I just got some beyerdynamic DT 770's so I am relistening to a lot of the recordings here. This clip sounds great and has an early Sevendust sound to it. Again, nice job.

Wow, thanks Porkchop Xpress! I'm a fan of Sevendust myself. Thanks for the compliment!!

Back
Top Bottom