Testing out The Metal Foundry

D20

Power User
just made a test clip with the Toontrack Metal Foundry drums. Bass and Guitar were my Schecter C-1 Blackjack (w/ EMGs) or Spector 4LX-35 > Axe Fx

I used the 5150 model on this one. I was kinda going for a Machine Head meets old Soilwork like tone. Don't know if i pulled it off, but here are the results.

Let me know if you like it or hate...I'm off to bed.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=7815135

Here is the patch i used:
Download Link: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1046513/D ... 0Patch.syx

That was....awesome. Was there much in the way of post-mix production on that track? Was was it mix, bounce, post?

iaresee said:
That was....awesome. Was there much in the way of post-mix production on that track? Was was it mix, bounce, post?

Hey thanks everyone!!

Do you mean on the guitars, or the mix as a whole? For the guitars i added a bit of sonic maximizer and vintage warmer post production. As for the master i used mainly a tad bit of eq, and and multi band compression. I hope this helps. Let me know if i didn't answer correctly.

ang wrote:
damn i need to find somewhere to download this

how about you buy it? damn. you think it's ok to post about piracy here?
ang said:
damn i need to find somewhere to download this

how about you buy it? damn. you think it's ok to post about piracy here?

if you mean the track i think i made it downloadable on soundclick...

I guess you can get it here too: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1046513/T ... 20Test.mp3

AWESOME!!!!! :eek: :shock:
the whole overhed stuff sounds alittle bit overcompressed but it's ok!

du you have a MF preset for it?
have you made everything within the
superior interface or did you use external tweaking!?

cheers
S.

I just got the Metal Foundry stuff too - kicks major booty.

Even the supplied midi (drag and drop, or use through eZPlayer), is very, very good.

Good and FUN stuff D20.

GaryRichie said:
Wow! That sounded like a great tone for that style of music to my old tired ears. :D

Thanks Gary Richie!

how did you sequence the drums tracks?

I use Cubase 4 and Toontrack's Metal Foundry for the drums. I just use my mouse and put the drum hits where i want them to be. Does this answer your question? I think that is what you were asking...

AWESOME!!!!! :eek: :shock:
the whole overhed stuff sounds alittle bit overcompressed but it's ok!

du you have a MF preset for it?
have you made everything within the
superior interface or did you use external tweaking!?

cheers
S.

Hey thanks Soultrash! Thanks for the feedback as well!

I don't have a preset really for this. I used the "Metall" preset to start, but i changed it quite a bit as far as cymbals, eq, and compression. I used the SQ2 Kicks, Pearl Free Floating Maple snare, and all DW toms. I also did some external tweaking as well after the drums were bounced. Mainly just compression and a bit of eq as needed. I'm still trying to grasp compression, and trying not to over compress too much.

I just got the Metal Foundry stuff too - kicks major booty.

Even the supplied midi (drag and drop, or use through eZPlayer), is very, very good.

Good and FUN stuff D20.

Thanks diggi! I'm really loving the Metal Foundry drums! It has become my go-to-sounds for drum!

Thanks again everyone for listening!!!

Wow, sounds incredible. Not exactly my style of music, but the guitars sound pretty fantastic by any standard.

Mind sharing the patch? Settings?

Yep! Very nice guitar sound and cool drum programming. Did you use a drive block? If yes, which settings?

GreatGreen said:
Wow, sounds incredible. Not exactly my style of music, but the guitars sound pretty fantastic by any standard.

Mind sharing the patch? Settings?

Yep! Very nice guitar sound and cool drum programming. Did you use a drive block? If yes, which settings?

Sure, though i don't know how to export just the patch, but i can describe it to you.

Input>Drive>Amp(PVH 5105 Model)>Cab Stereo(Brit 4X12 1 57 Mic and 1 58 Mic)>PEQ>Filter>Filter> http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Room_Simulation

Drive Block
Tube Drive
Drive: 1.93
Tone: 5
Level: 7.87

Amp Block
Drive: 5.47
Bass: 6.22
Mids: 2.17
Treb: 4.41
Pres: 6.38
Depth: 0
Damp: 5
Sag: 2.01
Master 6.14
Level: -4

Cab Block
Air: 10.2%

PEQ
Boost @ 139.2, 4.91 db
Boost @ 411.3, 1.13 db
Cut 748.2, -4.16 db
Boost @ 2065, .85 db
Boost @ 5936, .94 db

Filter
HP @ 80

Filter
LP @ 6925

And then like above i used the Room Simulation on the wiki with both set to Small Room and adjusted the Level to taste. With the GEQs i just basically cut a few db of 63.

Oh, and i also did the ISP decimator trick that Javajunkie mentioned previously in the Wish List Section. I pasted below what he said.

Radley wrote:
javajunkie wrote:
If you have an Ultra, you can do an ISP decimator gate. That is what the SC select is for

Sean,

Is there a thread about using this? It may be what I'm looking for :shock:

~Rad~

There is somewhere, but it is not hard.

Place the gate after the amp block. on a blank row run shunts from the input until one block before the gate. connect the shunt to the gate. Set the SC select of the gate to the shunt row. Set you gate parameters as normal. Using this method the gate detection occurs at the input but it applied after the amp. You can really lower the threshold this way but still get strong gating going on. It is the same concept the ISP descimator uses. Another thing you can do to fine tune the gate is set the hipass and lowpass filter on the gate. This lets you fine tune the type of noise (hi-freq, lo-freq) that will trigger the gate.

This applies to the compressor as well.

I hope this isn't too confusing. If it is or clarification is needed on anything let me know and i will happily explain any part as best i can.

Quote: "Place the gate after the amp block. on a blank row run shunts from the input until one block before the gate. connect the shunt to the gate. Set the SC select of the gate to the shunt row. "

Forget all that. Just put the gate after the AMP and set SCSEL to Input 1 or Input 2 depending upon which you are using. Cliff mentioned in another ISP Decimator thread that he had made this change.

I was using the shunt on another row technique until I read that message. I deleted the shunt row and set to Input 1 since I use front jack on this patch and the result are the same.

So, which MF users want to talk MF?

I haven't put my order in yet as the clips on the site didn't really promote any growth in the pants region.

Is it more raw sounding like the original Superior, as opposed to S2.0's more processed sounds? That's the impression I've got anyway. What I wonder about is how well the MF stuff will mix in with the Avatar stuff, given Avatar's already tweaked a fair bit. :? I'm still using a couple of cymbals from the old Superior, but I imagine I'd want to be using a lot of the Avatar stuff still if I got MF.

Do we have any new articulations that Avatar didn't have? I seem to vaguely recall having ride hits on china cymbals (maybe that's going back to the original DFH :?), but when I had an idea involving that the other day it only just then occured to me Avatar has no such thing. :(

And more importantly... are there any nice tight sounding stacks? No TT set yet has had a really tight set of stacks. Cutting one short with the envelope section just doesn't sound the same. :cry:

Charlie Wardick said:
Quote: "Place the gate after the amp block. on a blank row run shunts from the input until one block before the gate. connect the shunt to the gate. Set the SC select of the gate to the shunt row. "

Forget all that. Just put the gate after the AMP and set SCSEL to Input 1 or Input 2 depending upon which you are using. Cliff mentioned in another ISP Decimator thread that he had made this change.

I was using the shunt on another row technique until I read that message. I deleted the shunt row and set to Input 1 since I use front jack on this patch and the result are the same.

I'll have to give this a try. Thanks Charlie!!!

Dude I may put this track on my ipod shuffle for running, that was good. What audio interface are you using?

Thanks man! I am really glad you liked it! I hope you enjoy it running as well! ;)

My audio interface is a M Audio Delta 44. I love it! Its ultra stable and high bandwidth.

Many thanks for the comment and thanks for listening!

Back
Top Bottom