Tempo Sync with ProTools

mjjohnson

I'm starting to try to use my FM9 for recording. I tried to record a part with a tremolo patch and sync it to the tempo of my ProTools session. After some investigation, I saw someone suggest sending a tap tempo command with a MIDI cc message, so I set up the FM9 to receive tap tempo via cc14. The tempo would drift sometimes, so I ended up just sending the message every beat for the entire song. But it never quite sounded in sync.

I was using my Fractal as an interface and doing the stereo effected signal plus a dry mono DI track, and I sent the MIDI message with a MIDI track. Does anyone know of a better way to sync the tempo of the FM9 with a DAW? Thanks.

I'm starting to try to use my FM9 for recording. I tried to record a part with a tremolo patch and sync it to the tempo of my ProTools session. After some investigation, I saw someone suggest sending a tap tempo command with a MIDI cc message, so I set up the FM9 to receive tap tempo via cc14. The tempo would drift sometimes, so I ended up just sending the message every beat for the entire song. But it never quite sounded in sync.

I was using my Fractal as an interface and doing the stereo effected signal plus a dry mono DI track, and I sent the MIDI message with a MIDI track. Does anyone know of a better way to sync the tempo of the FM9 with a DAW? Thanks.

Strictly speaking, the tempo isn't drifting. I think the problem is the tempo isn't accurate enough for your needs. You could try using the "average" option in the global settings, but that will never be as accurate or convenient as using midi clock, like unix-guy says.

Back
Top Bottom