Temple Audio double sided tape cleanup?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Any tips to remove old double sided mounting tape from the Temple Audio mounting plates?

I've got a few I picked up in a sale and I want to re-use them... But I don't want to spend all day trying to scrape it off.

Any tips to remove old double sided mounting tape from the Temple Audio mounting plates?

I've got a few I picked up in a sale and I want to re-use them... But I don't want to spend all day trying to scrape it off.
That sticky stuff is nasty sticky, worse than baby poop.

A heat gun will usually soften old adhesive and make it easier to scrape the bulk of it off. Then a solvent like Goo-Gone (or naptha or WD40) will have an easier time removing what's left.

Let us know what works! I've cleaned some Temple Audio adapters in the past and haven't found much that does the job quickly. Would love to know!

Let us know what works! I've cleaned some Temple Audio adapters in the past and haven't found much that does the job quickly. Would love to know!
I had already ordered a couple new plates and some replacement double sided tape before I posted this.

Had I thought about the effort involved to clean the old plates I might have just opted to order some new ones and not bother, since time is money and they aren't all that expensive especially if I need to buy some sort of solvent to clean them... But I'll post results once I give it a shot.

I do have a heat gun and WD-40 so we'll see.

I'm also wondering if I could just sand it off with some coarser sandpaper?

https://www.chemtronics.com/circuitworks-the-mighty-pen

Best residue removal product I've ever personally used, although I would advise to use in a decently ventilated area. The smell isn't unpleasant it kind of smells like citrus, but I suspect it's probably not good to take the deep huffs off of the pen. It's also a not for sale if you live in California. :)

Essential oils can also break down a lot of adhesives if you want to go the 'natural' route.

As a handy man I'm a big user of Goof Off and the aforementioned Goo Gone and WD 40 but when it comes to certain adhesives I go to the heavy hitters ! Acetone, Lacquer Thinner or Carburetor cleaner (Chem Dip)! I like this one the best for smaller metal parts that fit in the dipping basket. This stuff will remove your skin if your not careful and is best used outside in well ventilated areas. these work the best and with little to no effort on some parts.

Don't use the hard core cleaners on plastic parts it will just ruin them.

Keep in mind thoses that are not familiar with these chemicals use a lot of caution when using them.

As a handy man I'm a big user of Goof Off and the aforementioned Goo Gone and WD 40 but when it comes to certain adhesives I go to the heavy hitters ! Acetone, Lacquer Thinner or Carburetor cleaner (Chem Dip)! I like this one the best for smaller metal parts that fit in the dipping basket. This stuff will remove your skin if your not careful and is best used outside in well ventilated areas. these work the best and with little to no effort on some parts.

Don't use the hard core cleaners on plastic parts it will just ruin them.

Keep in mind thoses that are not familiar with these chemicals use a lot of caution when using them.
Many years ago, a guy in a band I mixed was working on his car, and sprayed carburetor cleaner someplace where it blew back out and into his eyes. He most definitely did not have a fun time. Spent a while having his brother irrigate his eyes, was ok eventually, but yikes, no thanks.

Be careful out there with that stuff!

Many years ago, a guy in a band I mixed was working on his car, and sprayed carburetor cleaner someplace where it blew back out and into his eyes. He most definitely did not have a fun time. Spent a while having his brother irrigate his eyes, was ok eventually, but yikes, no thanks.

Be careful out there with that stuff!
That's why I use the pail! Place the part in the basket, put it in the pail and close the lid.

I do have a heat gun and WD-40 so we'll see.
I've done the heat gun and WD40 approach.....get Goo Gone, faster, less effort....all around good product to have handy.
Just wear rubber gloves if you don't like the smell.
I can't tell you how many things I've revived, getting all the sticky mess off with goo gone.

Back
Top Bottom