Template for live rig..?

King Tone

Inspired
I am a little stumped on how to do what I want for my live rig. I want to be able to play one set of outputs into a power amp and speakers and another set of outputs direct to the PA. I believe you use the effects loop block to get to the other outputs but in some cases I got no sound and others I had sound but no effects. I am not sure how to do this because if you run the cab block and effects after I thought the effects loop could just tap off the signal pre-cab and join back up after the cab. This seems to bring the non cab simmed sound back to the other outputs so you get a blend of cab sim tone and without cab sim tone.

Also does this mean you have to duplicate the effects chain twice to get it to both sets of outputs at the same time? This would be impossible for me on some presets because I will have run out of horsepower.

Any ideas would be great...thanks

Thanks for the reply. So it looks like you had to run the effects twice(two instances)...is there a way around that by different routing. I have for example a cool pad sound where the effects blocks could not be run twice because it is right at the maximum cpu load. I will have to look at your patch in more depth when I can load it up. I am surprised nobody seems to be asking this kind of question very often...I mean if you use a direct out and a power amp/ cab setup also seems like there would be a lot of talk about it.

anyone else with other ideas...

Ok so I was just looking at the preset you made and I realize part of my problem. The send-return is for outputs 1 and effects loop is for outputs 2. I have never used the send return, or direct to PA yet, which is why I am here. I guess I was always running out of outputs 1 to the power amp so I was a little turned around. So really I just have to figure if duplicate effect blocks can be gotten around with clever routing. I really don't want to lose some of the heavy processed part of some of my tones...

To avoid duplicating effects you need to place cab block after all effects, and feed the FXL block from the last effect. If you need stereo effects and had been using mono cab mode you'll also have to switch that to stereo.

Ok so I was just looking at the preset you made and I realize part of my problem. The send-return is for outputs 1 and effects loop is for outputs 2. I have never used the send return, or direct to PA yet, which is why I am here. I guess I was always running out of outputs 1 to the power amp so I was a little turned around. So really I just have to figure if duplicate effect blocks can be gotten around with clever routing. I really don't want to lose some of the heavy processed part of some of my tones...

The Send and Return blocks are for routing and building bigger patches.
As Bakerman said, putting the cab block at the end of the chain will simplify the preset but then all effects are going through the cab block. Depends on what your going for.

Just to add, besides the need of a stereo cab block to keep prior stereo effects in stereo, the placement of the cab block only matters if you dial in some nonlinear time-variant stuff like speaker/motor drive and room reverb. If you don't, the cab block behaves like an elaborate filter or EQ and its placement in the signal chain won't make a difference.

I forgot to mention that if you run mostly mono effects, there are some options for using L/R of most effects as if they were 2 separate mono blocks, after the cab/no-cab split. Often there will be little or no difference in sound with cab before vs. after effects though, and you might find placing cab last to be the easiest solution.

Sending an existing to preset to a power amp/cab backline

I am a little stumped on how to do what I want for my live rig. I want to be able to play one set of outputs into a power amp and speakers and another set of outputs direct to the PA. I believe you use the effects loop block to get to the other outputs but in some cases I got no sound and others I had sound but no effects. I am not sure how to do this because if you run the cab block and effects after I thought the effects loop could just tap off the signal pre-cab and join back up after the cab. This seems to bring the non cab simmed sound back to the other outputs so you get a blend of cab sim tone and without cab sim tone.

Also does this mean you have to duplicate the effects chain twice to get it to both sets of outputs at the same time? This would be impossible for me on some presets because I will have run out of horsepower.

Any ideas would be great...thanks

I have the same question. I love a certain preset and I want to simply create a FX send to my power amp/cab. (Along with the FOH feed) You would need to create a second duplicate amp block and then remove the power amp sim (sag 0%), as well as create all of the post cab effects in the backline string. Am I missing something, or does anyone have any ideas with routing?

Back
Top Bottom