Tell me what you think. I'm afraid I have to create a support ticket.

gibvictory

Inspired
It seems very serious to me but I thought I would give a little story and description anyhow. Had my Axe FXII Mark II since December of 2013. Never a problem. Last night at a gig my rig lost volume and was distorted in a bad way, followed by the smell, which was a burning plastic kinda smell. I immediately thought it was my tube power amp (yeah I know). Tubes looked good and nothing looked like it was melting. I use Out 1 for FOH with a cab block. I had my soundman put me through my vocal monitor, shut my amp off and finished the night. Notable was that the smell went away after shutting the amp down.

Today I'm trouble shooting and it doesn't seem to be the amp but I'm getting ahead of myself. I hook up my rig as usual and now I get a high pitched squeal. I then connected Out1 to my studio monitors and got the squeal. Now I had to rip my rack apart. With everything separated I started with the amp. Took the cover off and inspected. Nothing visible and although everything smelled it didn't start all over again. So I hooked up a small mixer using the Hi Z input for guitar and out to my physical amp and speaker and all seemed fine.

Now my fear level just jumped. I have a double this weekend and now I think it's the Axe. As a side note when I took everything out of the rack one of the Axe rack ears just separated. What the hell! All three screws are just gone. Nowhere to be seen. I opened up the Axe and everything appears normal. No there are no loose screws inside the Axe. I also got my nose right into the amp and Axe to see if the smell was stronger anywhere. Everything smelled but no ground zero. I connected just the Axe to my studio monitors again and the high pitch is still there. I didn't have this high pitch last night at the gig. No newly created burning smell.

I then connected the whole rig up again and gave it one more try and got the high pitch again. The fans are working in both the amp and Axe.

If anyone has any trouble shooting ideas please share them. Expecting I have to send the Axe in for service is there anyone in New Jersey with a AxeII Mark II that could help me out of a jam? With two gigs I can use the help. Lunch and dinner and a few free drinks are part of the deal. This is an object lesson about having a back up rig. I thought the Axe was the backup as I thought the amp would be the first thing to go south.

Thanks
Russ

Last edited:
Always contact support. They are very timely (within reason) It seems to me your main fear is that something is wrong with your Axe FX, in which case I'D WANT TO KNOW. Not find out on a stage and be left with asking the venue if they have any old amp lying around as a backup.

Back
Top Bottom