Taylor acoustic into an Axe-Fx III

Sounds good. But that is alot of 'verb.

It's fine in a 'by myself' or solo situation. It will be a problem with other instruments as it will wash out. If you start a song with it and want it, be sure to go to another scene where it's dialed back...twill play better.

Chris, are you using anything special to boost the input signal? Taylor recommends a balanced signal into whatever device for best sound. Using a unbalanced signal into the axe drops input almost half I believe. What are your recommendations?
Most Taylor’s are meant to be plugged in using a TRS to XLR cable. That brings your level to +4

a guitar sends an unbalanced signal. the Axe-Fx is designed for guitars. i don't understand why Taylor would recommend a balanced signal. can you point me to where it says that?

if needed, i just increase the level of a block that i use. if you use the Amp block, you have a lot of level available (various gain and volume controls). i wouldn't worry about the balanced thing. electric guitars produce even LESS level and those work great.
Taylor’s have input jacks that are meant to be TRS to XLR....... +4.
no hissy boost needed

How do you plug into guitar pedals?
Taylors have 1/4" output jacks. They're balanced, so you can use a TRS-to-XLR cable if you want to go direct. Whether that actually delivers a +4 dBV signal is unclear from their documentation (Taylor calls it "Pro Ready," which could mean anything). But it does deliver a balanced signal, which is automatically 6 dB hotter than the unbalanced signal you'll get if you use a TS-to-TS cable.

To use guitar pedals and effects.
What pedal would you use with a steel-string? Maybe I'm a purist, but when I pick up an acoustic instrument, it's because I want a natural sound; if I want an effected sound I use an electric.....?

Heck, I put a recording out for review at the Acoustic Guitar forum about a month ago and got a bunch of crap slung because I used the internal pickup instead of micing it (Taylor 814ce). I can't imagine what the response would be if I put a flanger or distortion pedal in the mix...... :eek:

What pedal would you use with a steel-string? Maybe I'm a purist, but when I pick up an acoustic instrument, it's because I want a natural sound; if I want an effected sound I use an electric.....?

Heck, I put a recording out for review at the Acoustic Guitar forum about a month ago and got a bunch of crap slung because I used the internal pickup instead of micing it (Taylor 814ce). I can't imagine what the response would be if I put a flanger or distortion pedal in the mix...... :eek:
The same effects they'd use in the studio: compression, a touch of reverb, a light flavoring like you'd get from a channel strip on a console — maybe even an IR captured from a miked recording of your guitar. All of those things exist in the Axe-Fx III, which is why many of us have presets dedicated to acoustic guitar.

The same effects they'd use in the studio: compression, a touch of reverb, a light flavoring like you'd get from a channel strip on a console — maybe even an IR captured from a miked recording of your guitar. All of those things exist in the Axe-Fx III, which is why many of us have presets dedicated to acoustic guitar.
Right, but I'd never use a pedal for any of that. AFX? Sure.

Right, but I'd never use a pedal for any of that. AFX? Sure.
Compression pedal, reverb pedal...?

You have an Axe, so you don't need to use pedals for that. Most people aren't so lucky — or they don't want to lug a whole rack to the gig, and they don't have an FM3.

Compression pedal, reverb pedal...?

You have an Axe, so you don't need to use pedals for that. Most people aren't so lucky — or they don't want to lug a whole rack to the gig, and they don't have an FM3.
Yeah, I guess I've been carrying a rack for so long that I don't even think of pedals for anything other than a low-stress electric-only rock event. If I'm playing multiple instruments, I'm taking something as a mixer anyway, right?

Yeah, I guess I've been carrying a rack for so long that I don't even think of pedals for anything other than a low-stress electric-only rock event. If I'm playing multiple instruments, I'm taking something as a mixer anyway, right?
No need to take a mixer. You have an Axe III with multiple ins and outs. You can mix those in the box any way you like.

No need to take a mixer. You have an Axe III with multiple ins and outs. You can mix those in the box any way you like.
Absolutely, now that I have the AFX. For the last few years, though, I've been carrying a rack mixer for multi-instrument gigs, so why carry pedals AND a rack?

Reactions: Rex
How do you plug into guitar pedals?
An acoustic pedal preamp with XLR input like a headway EDB-2 or other. I love going straight into the back of the axe 3, and there’s no need to boost the level. From there I use a sigma sound Taylor IR, and a tc electronic BodyRez in the effects loop

An acoustic pedal preamp with XLR input like a headway EDB-2 or other. I love going straight into the back of the axe 3, and there’s no need to boost the level. From there I use a sigma sound Taylor IR, and a tc electronic BodyRez in the effects loop
And... with an EDB for example, it has an effects loop to run all your 1/4” effects through, yet still come out XLR

Back
Top Bottom