Tap Tempo....

schrismer

Inspired
Is there anyway to assign a "silent" switch somewhere (one of the female pedal inlets?) on the AX8?

on a Quite Church stage... tapping F1 sure is loud lol.....

any options...tricks?

thanks
Steve

I have a switch..... with a 1/4" male insert.... how/where do I connect it to the AX8... can we use any one of the (4) pedal inserts?... or do we have to use another midi control to do it midi into the AX8?

A keyboard sustain pedal might be a decent option. They are generally pretty quiet and are usually pretty cheap. Put a bit of felt or moleskin between the contact points to make it even quieter.

awesome.... getting ready to head to the studio here shortly... I think I have a Key board "flat" sustain pedal .... I'm trying that :)

You need to use a latching pedal for external tap. A momentary pedal sends a signal on down (ON) and on up (OFF). The AX8 will recognize each signal as a tap. You'd need to tap half the desired tempo when using a momentary pedal.

So a Boss FS-5L will do what you want, but most keyboard sustain pedals won't.

This is according to the manual and how I remember it working. My AX8 is at a rehearsal space so I can't verify.

Since going Fractal I haven't had to use Tap Tempo.

Just program each song with a preset tempo and bank up through the set. So easy!
Love being able to bank up and have tempo and any required effects already engaged

We play to a click though so the tempo is locked in

Yes. Set the correct switch type then set tempo tap to that pedal port. (See AX8 manual pages 19 & 81)
Have you actually ever gotten an external switch to work following what the manual says? I tried a few firmware revisions ago with a couple of Boss and non-Boss switches and it never worked correctly. I got either double time or flaky responses depending on the different switch settings. I've used these switches for tap tempo with other devices without issue and they work fine for other functions in the AX8 so it seemed to be an AX8 issue. I seem to recall there being a bug thread about this where others reported similar behavior. Just wondering if this has been fixed and I should try again.

Could press tempo once and lean over and dial up the tempo you want assuming the quiet time allows a few seconds to do this. Or, assign an expression pedal to the tempo. Just food for thought.

Since going Fractal I haven't had to use Tap Tempo.

Just program each song with a preset tempo and bank up through the set. So easy!
Love being able to bank up and have tempo and any required effects already engaged

We play to a click though so the tempo is locked in

Sure, but is your drummer?

You need to use a latching pedal for external tap. A momentary pedal sends a signal on down (ON) and on up (OFF). The AX8 will recognize each signal as a tap. You'd need to tap half the desired tempo when using a momentary pedal.

Not when you set the switch type correctly, as described on page 19 of the manual.

You can let the AX8 know if you're using a latching or momentary pedal, and configure it as desired. It's a bit of a mind stretch: to turn a momentary pedal into a "virtual" latching pedal, you have to set its type to: MOMENTARY.

Not when you set the switch type correctly, as described on page 19 of the manual.

You can let the AX8 know if you're using a latching or momentary pedal, and configure it as desired. It's a bit of a mind stretch: to turn a momentary pedal into a "virtual" latching pedal, you have to set its type to: MOMENTARY.

Mind stretch indeed. The pedal type settings continue to elude me, and I'm an engineer. It's always the opposite of what you'd expect.

Thanks for correcting. I didn't have the time to check but the manual did say momentary won't work, and I had trouble the one time I tried it.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom