Taming "Sizzle"

Dinkledorf

Inspired
I put sizzle in quotes as I believe this is the general term used to describe what I am trying to minimize.

Best way for me to describe this is that a flager/chorus type effect takes place in the higher frequencies with moderate to high gain patches. For whatever reason it is significantly more prominent at lower volumes and on single string lead passages, especially on the unwound strings. It can stand out more with vibrato applied to a note.

I play mainly with headphones and I notice it more when NOT using headphones (near fields or power amp and cabs).

I will try to get a recording together to better illustrate what I am referring to.

Note that this is NOT an Axe-FX generated phenoma but is evident in most (if not all) tube amps. I just happen to not like it and have been working towards removing it.

I can do it fairly successfully with a PEQ and some surgical reduction in the 2.3kHz - 3.5kHz range (depending on the amp). While this does work it tends to kill presence, puts a blanket over the cab so to speak.

Another method which I started last night to reasonable success is reduction of the HF Transformer in the Amp Geek section. So far I found that reducing this the general area of about 3.5kHz - 4.5kHz does a better job overall.

Question is, is there a more suitable combination of Amp block parms (or other blocks for that matter) that I could focus on to specifically minimize the "sizzle"?

At home I play through headphones and have cabs enabled, at band practice I plug into the return of a JCM800 into a 4x12 cab with power amp disabled or enabled (still on the fence which I like better) and cabs disabled. For about a month I also rented a SS amp and FRFR rig which also had the same "issue".

For home use, I use primarily Red Wirez cab impulses but do use internal cabs as well.

I have 4 guitars, Suhr Standard, JEM 77 BRM, JS1200, LP Deluxe; they all exhibit the same results however it is more evident with the higher output pups on the JEM (Breeds). The Suhr is the second most affected guitar which makes sense if pup power is a contributing factor (which it seems to me it is).

Turning down the volume on the guitar helps but decreases overall gain which is not always desirable.

I use the front Axe-Fx input with the input volume set to tickle the red with the JEM (highest output guitar I own); sits around 2 o'clock.

Try increasing the 'warmth' parameter on the advanced page of your amp sim. I find that this takes off a bit of sizzle without overly diminishing high frequency content. Try gradually bringing it up. I never set mine higher than 3. As for there being more sizzle at lower volumes this has to do with the way our ears perceive sound with respect to dB level. Our hearing is very un-linear in perceiving frequencies. This is called the 'Fletcher - Munson curves'.

Basically our ears perceive midrange frequencies to be lower than mod and high freq's at lower SPL's. When you turn the volume up you ear essentially 'compresses' the sound and sort if 'balances' the frequencies. This is why you must, whenever possible, tweak your presets at a louder level. Close to stage volume if you play live.

I hope that helps.

shotgunn

Don't think I've tried Warmth for this yet, not sure why I didn't. Thanks!

I am redoing all my live patches, all six of them, lol. I don't have "loud" equipment at home and need to tweak at band practice. Have to convince the guys that there will be something better as a result of taking a bit of time to let me tweak a bit.

You know I was questioning myself as I typed this on my iPod. I looked at an image of the curve and Mid freq's were much lower than the Low's and High's at low SPL's... How was I wrong? I am not saying I wasn't wrong, just asking for a quick refresher...

I looked at an image of the curve and Mid freq's were much lower than the Low's and High's at low SPL's...
The Fletcher-Munson curves are not frequency response curves, they are equal-loudness curves. They show how loud various frequencies must be to match the perceived level at the 1000 Hz reference frequency.

The Fletcher-Munson curves are not frequency response curves, they are equal-loudness curves. They show how loud various frequencies must be to match the perceived level at the 1000 Hz reference frequency.

I know. The relative perception of loudness is related to frequency though. In other words stuff sounds VERY different at lower volumes than it does at higher volumes. So in a way it can be thought of as a frequency response of sorts...

Apparently not.

The relative perception of loudness is related to frequency though.
You're still missing the point. The Fletcher-Munson curves are not frequency response curves, they are exactly the opposite. To get frequency response from F-M curves, you must invert the curves. What is shown as a midrange "trough" or "suckout" in F-M is a response peak in the midrange.

If you will revisit those curves with the above information in mind, you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom