Talk me out of (or into) buying a Suhr Guitar

I see your point... And I really like the Charvels! It's just that spending half the money of the value of the guitar for changing the frets doesn't sound right.
You can get a USA Select model - they come with stainless steel frets, but they are about 3x the cost of the MIM... Although in a similar ballpark to the Suhr.

I love mine - especially the neck! It gets more play than my Suhr.

However, they are either HSS or HH - no HSH option.

Following a previous title (related to a Strandberg) I'm here to listen to your kind advice...

I'm thinking of swapping my Ibanez AZ2402 with a Suhr Modern Plus HSH.
The Ibanez is a great guitar but I cannot totally bond with the neck... so there's a good deal on a used Suhr and I'm just evaluating pros and cons.

Any advice is appreciated!
(picture attached as a reference for the used Suhr)

View attachment 130217
What don't you like about the Ibanez neck?

That can be confusing since Suhr produces a model called the Standard with a different neck profile.
Yeah, sorry, that's true

I meant the standard spec of the Modern Elliptical neck profile. You can get them with a thinner or thicker profile.

Mine is .780-.830.

I've long wanted a Suhr with a sexy top and especially after stumbling into my Anderson Hollow T Classic little while ago its really fueling that. The anderson is insane. Quality is top notch. One of these days I"ll be looking for an Anderson or Suhr shreddy type guitar. A modern probably or perhaps an Angel

I ended up buying a Suhr when I was trying various guitars including an Ibanez AZ. I didn't like the neck either on the Ibby

It's already been said, but I'll chime in.

I'd feel comfortable buying a Tom Anderson without playing it first. In my opinion, the consistency of quality and musicality is unmatched. I have two Andersons, and wish I could afford more.

I've played Suhrs that were great and others that were technically "perfect" but did nothing for me. I would absolutely have to try a Suhr before making a buying decision...so far, I don't own one.

Good point, and the MJ series is more affordable, too

I haven't played one so I can't comment on the neck. I understand it's different from the "speed neck" on the DK. How do they compare?

It's actually the same shape, like a C with some shoulder(guess some folks would call it a thin D). I cherry-picked mine at Wildwood(GG) and Sweetwater(DK), got them both at about 0.80" at the 1st fret. The DKs usually are around 0.76-0.77, too thin for me.

It's amazing how similar the DK sounds to the GG.

It's actually the same shape, like a C with some shoulder(guess some folks would call it a thin D). I cherry-picked mine at Wildwood(GG) and Sweetwater(DK), got them both at about 0.80" at the 1st fret. The DKs usually are around 0.76-0.77, too thin for me.
Interesting because I've heard others say it's not the same.

But it also sounds like you're DK is not the typical so maybe that's the difference.

I would like to get a GG in the future. I wish they had an HSS variant, though...

Interesting because I've heard others say it's not the same.

But it also sounds like you're DK is not the typical so maybe that's the difference.

I would like to get a GG in the future. I wish they had an HSS variant, though...
Maybe they were talking about the USA GG model, those had bigger necks.

Yes, my DK is not typical-I had Sweetwater measure a few to find one with a chunkier neck. Wildwood posts the neck measurements on all of their guitars, so easier there. I highly recommend Wildwood Guitars, great to deal with.

My MJ GG has a toggle switch which puts the bridge/neck pickups in single coil mode using a coil split and a capacitor that sounds pretty close to Fender CS69s (low output single coils).

Maybe they were talking about the USA GG model, those had bigger necks.
Yes, they were. I assumed since Guthrie uses both the the necks were very similar... But maybe it's even changed on the new USA?
Yes, my DK is not typical-I had Sweetwater measure a few to find one with a chunkier neck. Wildwood posts the neck measurements on all of their guitars, so easier there.
I did notice the when looking on their site before, which is really cool!
My MJ GG has a toggle switch which puts the bridge/neck pickups in single coil mode using a coil split and a capacitor that sounds pretty close to Fender CS69s (low output single coils).
Good to know. Is that stock or custom?

Funnily enough I bought an AZ2402 because I wanted a Suhr like guitar but just couldn't justify the expense (being both uncommon and frighteningly expensive here in 'Stralya), and I really like the AZ - it's a whole lot of guitar for not a lot of bucks - I'd swap it in a heartbeat for a Suhr however!

I had an Ibanez AZ2204 HSS for 3 years until I sold it a few months ago.

It was a fantastic guitar but I've never really fallen in love with it.
You know that feeling where you know the guitar is good but for some reason it doesn' resonate with you even when it should?

Well, I bought a Suhr a couple of days ago and I can already tell you that I love this thing and that it has become one of my favourites.

Can you try it first?
Nope. I don't have serious stores near my home... But we have free returns

You can get a USA Select model - they come with stainless steel frets, but they are about 3x the cost of the MIM... Although in a similar ballpark to the Suhr.

I love mine - especially the neck! It gets more play than my Suhr.

However, they are either HSS or HH - no HSH option.
Yep, I love those Charvels and I'll probably end up with one of them.
I prefer HH or HSS so it's a match

What don't you like about the Ibanez neck?
I prefer the Wizard one with bigger jumbo frets.

Then don't change the frets and save even more money.
I don't like the feeling of the nickels, once you try SS you can never go back ;)

The Charvel Guthrie Govan has steel frets(they're big) and it's HSH with some amazing pickups. Speaking from experience....

View attachment 130240
That's another interesting choice!

Nope. I don't have serious stores near my home... But we have free returns

Yep, I love those Charvels and I'll probably end up with one of them.
I prefer HH or HSS so it's a match

I prefer the Wizard one with bigger jumbo frets.

I don't like the feeling of the nickels, once you try SS you can never go back ;)

That's another interesting choice!
Free returns ? Go for it !!

I forgot to mention that I was aiming for an exchange (some online stores give you that opportunity) but you rely on what is stock at the moment.

I will consider all your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom