Talk Box?

TD77

Inspired
I did a search but I’m not coming up with exactly what I have questions on.

I’d like to get a talk box and came across a banshee. I’m just confused on how I would integrate this with the FM3. I saw a YouTube video where a guy gave a demo of the banshee and he plugged his guitar into it and the output of the banshee to his amp. When he engages the banshee the amp sound is NOT coming through. This seems limiting. Is there a way to connect this to the fm3 where I can use the amp sounds of the fm3 as the foundation of the tone? Also if want to use reverb from the fm3. Sorry if this is basic but I have never used one of these pedals and may need to do a frampton song in the near future. Lol. Thanks for any tips.

Is there a way to connect this to the fm3 where I can use the amp sounds of the fm3 as the foundation of the tone?
You can't. The Banshee uses its own built-in preamp, power amp and speaker. It's designed to go straight from your guitar into the tube, where the microphone of your choice does the rest of the work.

You could do this with a traditional talkbox, although they still use their own built-in speaker. You'd also need a power amp to make that work.

You can't. The Banshee uses its own built-in preamp, power amp and speaker. It's designed to go straight from your guitar into the tube, where the microphone of your choice does the rest of the work.

You could do this with a traditional talkbox, although they still use their own built-in speaker. You'd also need a power amp to make that work.
Thanks Rex. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Rex
I have a banshee too. I run guitar to talkbox, guitar out from talkbox to Fm3 input 1. The mic for the talk box is XLR to 1/4 inch which I route to input 2. I place input 2 after amp and cab in the FM3 and one line down. Merge it up and then it all goes Output 1. That way you can use your reverb, delay, ect...

Maybe you could emulate the talkbox in the unit.
There is a free preset for the FM9 out there, somebody did it for "Livin on a Prayer". I haven't tried it on the FM3 tough..

I did a search but I’m not coming up with exactly what I have questions on.

I’d like to get a talk box and came across a banshee. I’m just confused on how I would integrate this with the FM3. I saw a YouTube video where a guy gave a demo of the banshee and he plugged his guitar into it and the output of the banshee to his amp. When he engages the banshee the amp sound is NOT coming through. This seems limiting. Is there a way to connect this to the fm3 where I can use the amp sounds of the fm3 as the foundation of the tone? Also if want to use reverb from the fm3. Sorry if this is basic but I have never used one of these pedals and may need to do a frampton song in the near future. Lol. Thanks for any tips.
Yes, you can. This is how I have mine set up, only I’m using a different talk box. I use output 2 to send into the talk box. I have output 1 and output 2 set up to flip flop on/off using a control switch. No problem.

Yes, you can. This is how I have mine set up, only I’m using a different talk box. I use output 2 to send into the talk box. I have output 1 and output 2 set up to flip flop on/off using a control switch. No problem.
You send Output 2 to your talk box? No power amp needed?

If you want to do this pretty convincingly, entirely in the box, and don't need to actually speak words, check this out. The preset was built specifically for 'Living on a Prayer', But many have taken it and repurposed it for other songs, not requiring speech.

The Eagles-'Those Shoes', Pink Floyd-'Pigs', Joe Walsh-'Rocky Mountain Way', Motely Crue-'Kickstart My Heart', Alice in Chains-'Man in the Box', Weezer-'Beverly Hills', etc...

P.S. Sorry for the commercial post.

Last edited:
If you want to do this pretty convincingly, entirely in the box, and don't need to actually speak words, check this out. The preset was built specifically for 'Living on a Prayer', But many have taken it and repurposed it for other songs, not requiring speech.

The Eagles-'Those Shoes', Pink Floyd-'Pigs', Joe Walsh-'Rocky Mountain Way', Motely Crue-'Kickstart My Heart', Alice in Chains-'Man in the Box', Weezer-'Beverly Hills', etc...

I use Moke’s preset to cover this song live and it’s super effective!

I bought this preset and a few more from Moke. Not only does it sound exactly like a talk box, studying the blocks of each scene really helped me understand what the FM9 and FXIII were capable of.

Wow - that's shockingly convincing - if I was only listening casually, I would think it was the record!

You really are good at this stuff Moke... you should sell your presets! :smirk::rolleyes:

I have a banshee too. I run guitar to talkbox, guitar out from talkbox to Fm3 input 1. The mic for the talk box is XLR to 1/4 inch which I route to input 2. I place input 2 after amp and cab in the FM3 and one line down. Merge it up and then it all goes Output 1. That way you can use your reverb, delay, ect...
Awesome thank you!!! I’m about to order a banshee I think.

Jesus. That is outstanding!!!

I’m honestly floored at this!!! Incredible.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I’m going to mess around this weekend and see if the existing preset may be suitable. I never thought about one to be honest. I’m having a fun jam session wirh some friends coming in from out of state. I lost my father recently and he was the sole reason for me being a musician. I jammed with him a lot and especially over the recent years since he was in declining health. He always wanted to have fun with frampton do you feel like we do. We played it a few times and I used a wah as a poor man’s way to emulate the talk box. Anyhow, at this upcoming jam I want to see if I can do a better job and rock this song out the right way for my father. Perhaps the internal preset will help or maybe I’ll take the plunge and get a banshee. I’m any event I really appreciate all of you for sharing your input. Rock on! 🤟🏻

Thank you everyone for the tips. I’m going to mess around this weekend and see if the existing preset may be suitable. I never thought about one to be honest. I’m having a fun jam session wirh some friends coming in from out of state. I lost my father recently and he was the sole reason for me being a musician. I jammed with him a lot and especially over the recent years since he was in declining health. He always wanted to have fun with frampton do you feel like we do. We played it a few times and I used a wah as a poor man’s way to emulate the talk box. Anyhow, at this upcoming jam I want to see if I can do a better job and rock this song out the right way for my father. Perhaps the internal preset will help or maybe I’ll take the plunge and get a banshee. I’m any event I really appreciate all of you for sharing your input. Rock on! 🤟🏻

FWIW, they’re fun as hell!

(start at 0:15 after I shut up)

There’s an improvisational aspect to them when manipulating the tube that I really dig. While in this vid I used an Ironbell pedal in front of it and added the delay in Logic, there’s some vocoder stuff my cover band is doing and I’ll be running it the same way suggested before, Output 2 into the Talkbox and switching between the main tone/Talkbox via scene change.

Back
Top Bottom