Table: amp settings, depending on power amp and speaker

Are you saying to match the impedance curve in the amp block to the actual cab you’re using? So if I use a Mesa 4x12 with the Powerstation, then select the same impedance curve?
That's the approach that worked best for me. Now I don't have measurements of my actual cabs so this is based purely on what I thought sounded and felt closest to amp -> cab, which turned out to be a cab that was similar to what I have at least on paper. How loud you play might have an effect too.

That's the approach that worked best for me. Now I don't have measurements of my actual cabs so this is based purely on what I thought sounded and felt closest to amp -> cab, which turned out to be a cab that was similar to what I have at least on paper. How loud you play might have an effect too.
I don’t have any physical amps to compare to anymore but I might have to mess with changing the curves. I’ve played around with them when running through my studio monitors for different sounds but completely forgot about trying change the curves from default when using my real Mesa cab and PS100. I do always leave power amp modeling on as that makes the most sense since the Fryette is close to neutral sounding.

Regarding this post https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-with-real-cab-vs-the-real-thing.191689/page-2
Edit :
"Use a good power amp and try again. Those Powerstage things are budget Class-D amplifiers in a shiny box. The damping factor on them is quite poor at high frequencies."
"
" A lot of it is about transient energy storage. A tube amp stores a LOT of energy. Take a typical 100W tube amp like a Diezel. It will typically have 220uF of reservoir capacitance and a B+ of 450V. The energy stored is 22.3 Joules!!!
Now take a typical consumer Class-D "500W" power amp (actual continuous power about 100W). They usually have voltage rails around 50V and 680uF or so of capacitance. The energy stored (assuming bipolar supplies) is 1.7 Joules.
The tube amp has over 13 times the energy storage. So those palm mute transients are reproduced accurately. The Class-D amp runs out of gas.
For example, if your transient duration is, say, 100ms, and you're pushing a full 100W then the energy required is 10 Joules. The Class-D amp simply can't do it.
It's one of my pet peeves. People use cheap, low-end, consumer grade Class-D power amps and then make bold proclamations that the models don't sound as good as the real amp without understanding even a lick of the physics involved.
I put an Axe-Fx through a Crown X2 once and it Marty McFly'd me."

Does the table hereabove needs an update or clarification? To my understanding there is a different behavior between class A/B SS PA and class D SS PA, and even between "low power storage class D SS PA and bigger Class D PA.

Also, should I understand that FOH must be considered as SS PA plus FRFR speaker?

Thanks a lot for this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.C
Bump

NOTE: The SS PA + Cab Mode is NOT intended for use with “current drive” power amps, i.e. tube power amps, Class-D current feedback amps, etc

Would that be most modern Class-D amps?
Let's take the very common Behringer A800 which is Class-D but does it use current feedback?

Back
Top Bottom