System re set works!!

So is the recommendation for a system reset to do it via the sysex file, front panel or both ? And what is the proper order ?

Susch as first install fw10, do system reset (via sysex file, front planet, etc), load Fw10 presets...

I had done it before from front panel, then went back to 9.02 and loaded my 9.02 banks. Well I went back to 10 loaded my 10 banks done front panel. Well tonight I said what the heck and did it with the syses file and I swear 10 sounds even better than before. It makes no sense, I know, unless the sysex file is different than the front panel, but I am telling you it made a difference. It made such a dfference I have been sitting here 3 1/2 hrs just playing.

Correct. A system reset doesn't touch presets or user cabs.

You just need to run through all Global and I/O parameters, and Tuner Mute parameter, afterwards to see if they are set correctly for your system.

Hi Yek, I checked in the manual to make sure and it says preset memories are not affected by a system reset meaning my existing user patches will not be affected, correct?

Thanks,
Jean.

A system reset will not affect your presets. It will reset your global and midi settings though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: yek
Correct. A system reset doesn't touch presets or user cabs.

You just need to run through all Global and I/O parameters, and Tuner Mute parameter, afterwards to see if they are set correctly for your system.

Thanks both Yek and Scott. I am curious to try this, since it seems to "clean" the Axe FX 2 from excess accumulated clutter and possible corrupted data. I don't see any good reason not to do this regularly...

I must say, I am having much difficulty finding myself a favorite amp in V. 10. They all have so much character now, something I could not say previously. Never been much of a Bogner guy (bar the Ubber) and now, Holly ...! The Fenders, Plexis, 5150s, rectos and Marks, Dumble, man what serious improvements we are witnessing!

Jean.

Axe edit is screwing up everything with my old presets.
reinstalled 10 with fractal bot. system restore. loaded presets in with midi ox and i am back where i need to be.
Sounds killer now, guess I can't use axe edit, which is not a big deal to me really as this is my first time using it.

this ^

After I did the system reset (by reset I mean complete wipe -sys and v10 preset uploads via SysEx to overwrite presets in sys) I used the Axe-edit to save and move presets -- the system sounded like crap again -- clipping/unnatural sounding/latency etc --- after the last complete reset I only used Axe-Edit as a convenience tool (layouts etc) -- but did all the saving from the unit itself. No issues since.

Regarding comment that everything sounds brighter with certain amps when you turn the volume up ---- well guess what with a lot of real amps when you turn the volume up on the amp they get brighter. Also if you have standard wiring on your guitar -- the lower the volume pot is set on the guitar the warmer your tone -- when you increase the volume pot on your guitar tone gets brighter.

Last edited:
I must say, I am having much difficulty finding myself a favorite amp in V. 10.

Indeed, more difficult than ever.

I've been finetuning the clean amps in my "collection of favorite amps".

Sticking to the Twin right now (with EVM cab), because it's full-bodied and has the attack I like for live sounds.

But it could as well be one of the Bassmans, Badger, BandMaster, Dumble, JTM45, Dr.Z, Ojai, Shiva, SuperReverb or one of the Vibros. :mrgreen

Indeed, more difficult than ever.

I've been finetuning the clean amps in my "collection of favorite amps".

Sticking to the Twin right now (with EVM cab), because it's full-bodied and has the attack I like for live sounds.

But it could as well be one of the Bassmans, Badger, BandMaster, Dumble, JTM45, Dr.Z, Ojai, Shiva, SuperReverb or one of the Vibros. :mrgreen

Yes, the new Bassmans and Super Reverb! Fender ecstacy....buddy of mine as a SR blackface re-issue and unplugged 2 of the 4 speakers and the Axe Fx model and his sound the same....I never had an easy time of getting SRV tone, put a TS in front with a bit rotary and you're in Cold Shot territory awfully fast...Man, this box is really making me want to sell all my gear...

Jean.

Agreeing with the above. Loaded FW10 with fractal bot, moved new v10 presets with AXE-Edit 1.9beta, Turned off AXE-EDIT ( Important step :p ) and then did a system reboot via the front panel. Dialed in my usual settings (Cab Sim: Off). Started playing and within 10 seconds i had the smile of a ten year old child in a toystore :)

I play through a guitar cab without cab sims and for me the change from v9 to v10 has been amazing. For me the best way to describe it is that v9 sounded two dimensional whereas v10 is a 3D beast in comparison!

Now if there only was a way to keep changed MFC-101 on/off effects while changing presets as in changing scenes in a preset i would feel like a kid meeting Batman!

What Globals are affected by the System Reset, is there a list on the Wiki? I am at work ... shouldn't be reading this, but .. well ... you know ... got AxeFx on the brain.

It won't screw with my Control settings or anything like that?

I might try this tonight if I can easilly write down what changes with the reset. Great thread ... learned a lot reading through it ...

Yes, the new Bassmans and Super Reverb! Fender ecstacy....buddy of mine as a SR blackface re-issue and unplugged 2 of the 4 speakers and the Axe Fx model and his sound the same....I never had an easy time of getting SRV tone, put a TS in front with a bit rotary and you're in Cold Shot territory awfully fast...Man, this box is really making me want to sell all my gear...

Jean.

Now all you need is for cliff to model a Steel String Singer Dumble and you will be able to replicate SRV's entire live rig

L-R Fender Vibratone, 2 Dumble Steel String Singers, Fender Super Reverb, and Fender Vibroverb

srvsdumblerig.jpg

Now if there only was a way to keep changed MFC-101 on/off effects while changing presets as in changing scenes in a preset i would feel like a kid meeting Batman!

Assign an IA not to a specific effect but to an effect block's CC ("None" > "CC ...").
Set that IA to act "Global" and "Send w/preset".

What Globals are affected by the System Reset, is there a list on the Wiki? I am at work ... shouldn't be reading this, but .. well ... you know ... got AxeFx on the brain.

It won't screw with my Control settings or anything like that?

I might try this tonight if I can easilly write down what changes with the reset. Great thread ... learned a lot reading through it ...

Reset system - Axe-Fx II Wiki

I'll offer this advice (absolutely un-official just my opinion/experience ONLY here): you can use Axe-Edit but some advice based on a LOT of testing and work on my part working with it:

- make parameter changes deliberately; or enter them directly via clicking into the parameter settings value and using your keyboard's numberpad
- work at a slower place; don't spin values and click all over the place backing up the values exchange between the beta editor and the II. (*This is very important).
- save your changes on the hardware. Do *NOT* save changes with the editor via the 'save' button; just hit "Store" "Enter" "Enter" on the hardware after you make changes.

I am of the opinion that a lot of these issues either have been or directly are caused by use of the editor and corrupted values getting sent at some point. The system reset is important to pay attention to because over time some settings can be messed with unintentionally.

Also keep in mind that corrupted data in a preset, a TMA block or a cab IR can be the cause of a lot of these issues. It's important to note when the issue happens and if it seems to always happen to a certain preset, etc..

No sh*t, I've been making all these changes using the AE, hitting the save button on the app like a madman and tweaking no stop. I wonder if it has screwed with stuff it wasn't supposed too? It sounds amazing but I'm wondering if I should try the reset? So I don't have to search the forum can you guys chime in on how to do it? I'll give it a shot when I get out of work.

Edit: yek somehow read my mind 2 minutes in advance lol

Now all you need is for cliff to model a Steel String Singer Dumble and you will be able to replicate SRV's entire live rig

L-R Fender Vibratone, 2 Dumble Steel String Singers, Fender Super Reverb, and Fender Vibroverb

srvsdumblerig.jpg

yeah baby, now you're talkin'! I'm sure Tyler will easily replicate this sooner ot later...all the tools are in the black box! Fun times ahead, indeed!

I keep hearing folks talking about "too much high end", etc. but I'm getting the opposite and not sure if it is good or not. I can dime the treble and presence on a lot of presets and doesn't ever get harsh or trebly at all.

Funny... I experienced excactly the same. I even thought my guitars treble pot was broken! I did a system reset after updating the FW and I am referring to the 10er presets loaded via Bot... As a result my beloved Plexi Treble Stock-Preset in FW 9 which I used to play nearly for all our songs just by rolling off volume on the guitar and switching between the pups is "lost". I will try to get back with 10 too (and sure it is there), but currently I am struggling with that...

Originally Posted by yek:
Assign an IA not to a specific effect but to an effect block's CC ("None" > "CC ...").
Set that IA to act "Global" and "Send w/preset".

Thanks Yek. Your advice in this forum is truly priceless. It really changed how i approach the Axe-Fx II

Oh, hi there Batman!

Reactions: yek
I also did the reset after playing with v10 even though I didn't have the issue. I wanted to see what resets due to the claims that it fixes people's issues. It had no affect for me other than having to manually change the io back to what I had previously.

It can undo some uncommon problems that the old Axe-edit may have inadvertently caused. Most users will not need to do this but it is a common troubleshooting tip. At the very least it puts the Axe-fx globals in a known state.

If you are not experiencing odd problems then it will do nothing for you other than reset the parameters.

Back
Top Bottom