SysEx / CC for Real-time / non-real-time uses.

What type of message do you prefer for each type of uses.

• For real-time controlling I prefer CC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For non-real-time controlling I prefer CC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spawn-X

Experienced
This is to complete this topic.

So, to be sure that you clearly understand what we're talking about:
  • Some Real-time examples:
  • Wah/filter sweeping[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • Volume control[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • Tap tempo[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • FX on/off[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • [/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • some Non-real-time examples:
  • Tweaking of type, Gain, Bass, Mid, Treb, etc. on an AMP block[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • Global EQ[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • Advanced parameters of any FX[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • Attack, Decay, Sustain, etc. of an ADSR in the CONTROL menu[/*:m:43btm4sw]
  • Level of each step in the SEQUECER[/*:m:43btm4sw]

In general, all parameters what is usually used in real-time are developed by Cliff to be assignable to a CC/modifier.
SysEx is usually used by all other manufacturers to let the user tweaking some hidden parameters or some functions of OS.

So, please, vote, it could be really helpful to see clearly in what we will talking about in all SysEx topics.

I would prefer CC for both situations for the following reasons:
a) it's easier
b) most midi pedals can handle CC's but only a few sysex

MisterE said:
b) most midi pedals can handle CC's but only a few sysex
For non-real-time parameter, we usually don't use midi foot controllers, but other gears like BCF/R-2000.

It's possible to use a MFC, naturally, but it's not the meaning of this poll.

MisterE said:
Can the BCF/R-2000 or similar gear handle CC?
Of course, but usually, you don't manipulate this type of gears with your foot :mrgreen: .

Usually, CC are used for real-time control via, for example, an Expression Pedal, while SysEx are used to tweak some hidden or unavailable (to the look of CCs) parameters.

So, for example, while your running Axe-Edit, you're using SysEx to tweak, but imagine at the same time, you can sweep your Wah frequency from the ExpPed of your usual MFC.

SysEx messages are bit complex, naturally, but they are more powerful.

SysEx messages are bit complex, naturally, but they are more powerful

No they are not. Just a lot more complex.
If you can assign a cc to a parameter it's just as powerful as using sysex, just not as complex and error prone

Well, since there are only 8 modifiers in the Axe-FX, I guess you can only assign 8 CCs? With sysex you can assign anything.

But there are reasons why many parameters are not assignable to a modifier. If they were the sound could get glitchy all over the place. The processor just can't deal with it. You wouldn't believe the burden on support.
Customer (C):"I connected the mids tone control to a pedal and now I get glitches whenever I move it!"
Cliff (CC): "Exactly. Don't do that."
C: "But why CAN I do that if I shouldn't?"
CC:"Errr..."

The way it is now is exactly the way it should be.

Also, there's a maximum of 128 CCs on any one MIDI channel, and there are WAY more parameters than that in the AxeFX.

And CC0 is reserved for MSB bank changes in the AxeFX (and I recommend you avoid CC32 as well, which is LSB bank and may mess with other connected MIDI gear).

Back
Top Bottom