Synyster Gates on Fractal, working with them, and possible future of the Axe FX?

sirus1987

Inspired

Here he mentions why he still uses analog amps. He also kind of makes a joke about hardware upgrades that are required to take modeling to the next level, but then he starts going into stuff about compression and what makes things sound realistic. Are we really waiting for the government to realease a new chip with super powers?!?!?!

He's just one voice in a million. As far as secret government chips, c'mon dude.
Lol I know there's not a secret government chip. But is there some new chip on the horizon that could take the Axe FX to the next level. There reason I bring up the relevance is because he talks directly with the guys at Fractal and since he's one of the biggest guitar players in the world, he has access to tons of stuff and information that we don't. He's an industry insider. Either way, the government secret thing is a joke, but then he kinda shifts into modeling technical speak that seems to have more basis in truth and makes me think there is some validity to the idea of a new piece of hardware.

What I got out of that whole thing is he has no patience for deep parameter tweaking and is convinced that's the only way to get the Axe-FX II to sound good.

Wow, is THAT a lot of reading into what he said.

I heard:
He can tell the difference in between modelers and tube amps for the most part, and until he COULDN'T, he'd stick with his amps.

You heard:
He talked to Fractal and when the new chip comes out we'll get an new Axe FX <insert fancy name> that brings us to the next level.

Or I could be wrong...heh.

Wow, is THAT a lot of reading into what he said.

I heard:
He can tell the difference in between modelers and tube amps for the most part, and until he COULDN'T, he'd stick with his amps.

You heard:
He talked to Fractal and when the new chip comes out we'll get an new Axe FX <insert fancy name> that brings us to the next level.

Or I could be wrong...heh.
Lol dang, it sounds like all you guys are hearing is that he prefers tube amps over Fractal. He still uses an Axe FX in his rig! He never said Fractal were bad or anything. People get so defensive when people dont say the Fractal was handed down from the heavens by God himself! It's possible I'm reading into it, but I was mostly just seeing if anyone else had heard anything similar. I know the TigerSharc's are supposed to be out of production and the Axe FX II has been out for a long time, an upgrade is entirely possible.

From the video:

I'm giving Fractal a chance to come out here and blow minds and program something. I'm thinking about a pack with them or something along those lines.
So he's not done checking out the Axe-Fx just yet.

...is there some new chip on the horizon that could take the Axe FX to the next level.
No. Any improvements in modeling will happen in the software, just as they have for as long as modeling has been around. As long as the chips are fast enough to handle the software, they have no effect on how the modeling works.

The talk of a new chip was a joke, as you pointed out. It's more of a commentary on stuff he's heard over the years, and it comes from a guy who freely admits that he's not a technical guru.

I reckon that since he's in a band that's doing well he can afford to pay roadies to haul his amps around. In which case tube amps for the win! But since I don't have any roadies, having to haul tube amps around myself gets old real fast.

I reckon that since he's in a band that's doing well he can afford to pay roadies to haul his amps around. In which case tube amps for the win! But since I don't have any roadies, having to haul tube amps around myself gets old real fast.

Last Saturday, we had a young band (all age 15) open for us. I have my AXE FX II with Matrix CFR12 wedges in front of me. The two guitar players set up in front of our stuff, and thought we hadn't brought in our amps, yet. They explicitly thanked us for leaving them a generous amount of room by keeping our amps off of the small stage for their set, as the 2 guitarists each showed up with a FULL STACK in a tiny bar! They played all of that Pantera, A7X, Metalica stuff (they were very good for age 15, except that their 100 watt stacks buzzed loudly when they weren't playing)

My back just ached looking at their heavy amps and cabinets, but their parents assisted as roadies! Talk about soccer moms and dads!

However, they were very polite young men, very talented (in a few years, they'll be fantastic!), and I was impressed. I spoke with the boys and one of their dads about what a noise gate does - and they were appreciative.

Last Saturday, we had a young band (all age 15) open for us. I have my AXE FX II with Matrix CFR12 wedges in front of me. The two guitar players set up in front of our stuff, and thought we hadn't brought in our amps, yet. They explicitly thanked us for leaving them a generous amount of room by keeping our amps off of the small stage for their set, as the 2 guitarists each showed up with a FULL STACK in a tiny bar! They played all of that Pantera, A7X, Metalica stuff (they were very good for age 15, except that their 100 watt stacks buzzed loudly when they weren't playing)

My back just ached looking at their heavy amps and cabinets, but their parents assisted as roadies! Talk about soccer moms and dads!

However, they were very polite young men, very talented (in a few years, they'll be fantastic!), and I was impressed. I spoke with the boys and one of their dads about what a noise gate does - and they were appreciative.

I don't think my father came along much to my gigs as a kid, let alone carried my amp. He did came along when I first went to the music store to buy a guitar and amp for me. The guitar was a cheap Les Paul clone from the bargain bin. Never really liked it much. But he made sure the amp was a Fender Twin Reverb, silverface with orange JBL speakers. Because, as he said, if its not going to work out at least the amp will maintain its value. Best amp I ever played! Still got it and if I could I'm gonna be buried in it. On the downside, it's heavy as a ton of bricks with no wheels and a single handle. Who designs an amp weighing more then a main battle tank with only one handle? Even a Vox AC-30, just as heavy, has it least two handles.

He points out in the video that he gigs with a ton of equipment, and if he can find a way to pare that down without compromising his tone, he'll do it.

For some context on my opinions about this whole thing - I deleted any A7X I had long ago. It came up on shuffle too often and I just found myself skipping past it immediately. That stuff got real old real fast. I never thought his/their tone was so amazing to begin with, so his inflexibility with regard to switching to a digital rig is kinda bewildering to me. I'm sitting here like "Well you can't make it any worse."

I don't think my father came along much to my gigs as a kid, let alone carried my amp. He did came along when I first went to the music store to buy a guitar and amp for me. The guitar was a cheap Les Paul clone from the bargain bin. Never really liked it much. But he made sure the amp was a Fender Twin Reverb, silverface with orange JBL speakers. Because, as he said, if its not going to work out at least the amp will maintain its value. Best amp I ever played! Still got it and if I could I'm gonna be buried in it. On the downside, it's heavy as a ton of bricks with no wheels and a single handle. Who designs an amp weighing more then a main battle tank with only one handle? Even a Vox AC-30, just as heavy, has it least two handles.

One of the kids brought 5 Dimebag Darryl guitars for a set that only lasted an hour and 15 minutes! I play 4 hours and just bring 2 guitars.

I bought my guitars and amps myself with my own money, my parents had sothing to do with any of it.

Regarding this Synyster fellow, I've literally never heard of him until the thread. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Synyster Gates was some new movie, and thought the thread was about how Fractal was used on the soundtrack or something.

Regarding this Synyster fellow, I've literally never heard of him until the thread. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Synyster Gates was some new movie, and thought the thread was about how Fractal was used on the soundtrack or something.
He's a pretty amazing musician, very creative. If you're questioning his popularity, his band Avenged Sevenfold has 17 million followers on facebook. Check them out if you like hard rock and metal, although They do a lot of things stylistically like the just covered the Beach Boys, Mr. Bungle, The Rolling Stones, and a spanish folk song. They're all over the place.

i heard him say that he would like Fractal to go to him and tweak some settings to see if he can use the Axe-Fx for his amp tones. he also suggested that in the future, gear would be even better than it is now.

he said very general statements, i'm not sure what this thread is actually about.

A7X is a very popular band.

Back
Top Bottom