Synth issue

JJunkie

Power User
Hi guys
For some reason, the synth doesnt like certain notes I play, and seems to either "shit" itself, or jump up one octave after a second or two.

For my ebmm JPX, its open G, G on the 4th string, 5th fret, and E on 1st string 24th fret

For my epiphone Les Paul Standard (tuned half step down) its happening on open Bb and Bb on 3rd string 4th fret.

Obviously, its not just the axe-fx's fault (although I think the synth is acting like a friggin wimp/pussy in this case). It also has something to do with the actual guitars. The fact that it happens on 2 of my guitars leads me to guess that others likely have the same issue. They aren't bad guitars and I have had them both plek'd.

Does anybody know how to overcome this issue? I hadn't realised how often I used G. Its really quite a popular note.

Cheers!

I have the same issue, but I just work around it. Here's my theory: It's an issue with how the detection interacts with sound waves. When you hit a note, it can recognize the very strong and defined profile of that frequency, but as the sound decays, the profile changes. Remember that contained within every note is every other note, which is what gives different instruments their timbre. Your ear recognizes a C because that's the dominant frequency within all of the frequencies you're hearing. This is also why you get sympathetic ringing from other strings/notes as one note is being sounded. As the note decays, the balance of these frequencies changes slightly, which is why the timbre changes. Fun fact: Orchestra's prefer to tune to one of the clarinet players because it's a very "pure" tone, meaning it has fewer "junk" frequencies mixed in with the note.

The synth block works in two parts, kind of like your ear and your voice. First, it listens to the note, then it recreates that note from scratch using a pure sine (or whichever shape you've selected) wave. The pure wave sounds sterile because it doesn't contain all the natural fuzziness of the extra frequencies. The problem is that the "ear" of the synth can get confused when it's not apparent which frequency is the intended tone. It's very difficult for a machine to hear what the intended note is as it decays.

There is a secondary issue I've noticed is that some notes are REALLY loud and strong by comparison. I think the synth block is exaggerating the strong resonance of certain notes and the guitar wood.

Throwing a compressor in front of the synth to provide a more even sound source to the synth block seems to help both of these issues. I never thought I would ever use "what gives an instrument it's timbre" in real life. My apologies to Dr. Wray of DSU for arguing about having to know it for a test 10 years ago.

I always put an amp in front of my synth blocks, set to a warm high gain tone. Works like a charm - more sustain and better tracking.

Fret buzz can be an issue here. As sim suggested, an amp can mask this to considerable extent.

Thanks! I've actually had this same issue and I think its the B (4th Fret G string) on my Prs. I know the guitar is setup quite well but yea it jumps and octave usually. I'll have to try throwing an amp in front.

Back
Top Bottom