Synth Block

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I've created a synth block for a few songs we're doing. I'm using the Square Type. I didn't monkey with too many of the settings since I'm not quite sure what many of them do. For the most part, it sounds good enough. But if I strike the string too hard, I get a quick, initial sound reminiscent of an 80's video game like Pong. It disappears almost immediately but is rather annoying. Is there a setting that will soften this up or eliminate it all together?

Regards,

Jonathan

If you get any bit of pinch harmonic on your note the synth will interpret that as a high note. If you treat your signal before it gets to the synth with maybe a compressor and low pass filter it should help

I am resurrecting this thread because I am having the same 'issue'. It is a high pitch 'pew' type sound that plays at the same time as the synth note. OP: did you ever figure out how to get rid of this artifact?

EDIT: Anyone have some cool Synth Blocks to share?

Last edited:
yeah compression or even a drive block in front is the key.

not many synth blocks about, because to get really great synth sounds, you have to use other blocks in combination - drive, chorus, filters, phasers etc etc. the synth block is just one ingredient. you could try downloading my synth patches (link under banner below) and convert them to fx8 format using fractool, but i have no idea if they will work properly. anybody tried this?

I dunno if its possible to take your amps preamp out of the routing with the fx8 so that you can run that preset straight into the fx return of your amp basically but that will give better sounding synth results as well.

@simeon, I dove into synth this week and it definitely needs other blocks to get it to work well. I'll try converting your presets and let you know how I get along.

@Jalevinemd, I noticed rolling treble off with tone knob or using neck pickup reduces those Pong sounds.

@Keg8605, You can't take your amp preamp out in the FX8. It was designed with 4CM in mind, solely. The closest we can get is to place the synth after the preamp (in the FX loop).

in this video he talks about this thing on minute 3

I just wanted to express my gratitude for this video. It encouraged me to take the plunge and develop some patches I assumed I'd have to track with a synth plugin, rather than with guitar. I got a very usable synth template in really no time at all. The tips about compression and drive ahead of the synth block were spot on and very helpful.

Back in the '80s and '90s, I owned several guitar synths, including a Yamaha that was formerly owned by Alan Holdsworth (that should have tipped me off that it didn't track well, or he would have kept it). Honestly, the FX8 synth block tracks as well as any synth I've owned. Another unexpected bonus to my FX8 experience.

BTW, your English is very good as well.

Back
Top Bottom