• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Synth block tracking

Budda

Power User
Since i made a similar thread, Cliff said that the synth block only tracks to 47hZ. It isnt intended for use with bass.

It handles my low F# (4-string) fine, F and E not so much.

Luca9583

Inspired
Since i made a similar thread, Cliff said that the synth block only tracks to 47hZ. It isnt intended for use with bass.

It handles my low F# (4-string) fine, F and E not so much.
Yes this has been the case since the Axe II but what we're talking about here is the ability in the Axe III to shift the bass guitar up an octave using the Pitch block before it hits the Synth, and then adjusting the pitch of the Synth to the desired pitch to match the physical pitch of the bass guitar. This is something you can't do on the Axe II because of how the pitch detection is configured.

There are plenty of digital synth pedals that do track down to B0 but i suppose Cliff decided to make F#1/G1 the tracking limit in order to make everything up to the highest note on the guitar track better. I still think that a selectable tracking range (similar to the Source Audio C4) would be a better approach. For example for an extended range instrument, you could have two Synth blocks, one set to track the bass range and one for the guitar range, with each Synth block's bypass state controlled by a pitch modifier . I'm sure the Axe III can handle tracking much lower if the Pitch block itself can track the low bass range.

ChristThePhone

Fractal Fanatic
From what I know In order to detect the pitch you need to sample at least one full cycle of the input signal. At 47Hz this means about 20msec sample length and latency which I personally find quite annoying. No clue how other devices do the trick.

Luca9583

Inspired
From what I know In order to detect the pitch you need to sample at least one full cycle of the input signal. At 47Hz this means about 20msec sample length and latency which I personally find quite annoying. No clue how other devices do the trick.
It could be that the other devices pitch shift the input signal up (maybe by an octave) before it hits the tracking. As @Fjord posted above, with the Axe III you can insert a Pitch block before the synth while using a bass guitar to pitch shift the signal up an octave before it hits the Synth block so it can track way down beyond the low B, in which case perhaps a future firmware update could just have this as a built in feature in the Synth block itself.

It would be great to know if a C4 style selectable tracking range would be possible. The C4 itself can even handle A0 even if it's not listed in it's not covered by it's tracking range

ChristThePhone

Fractal Fanatic
It could be that the other devices pitch shift the input signal up (maybe by an octave) before it hits the tracking. As @Fjord posted above, with the Axe III you can insert a Pitch block before the synth while using a bass guitar to pitch shift the signal up an octave before it hits the Synth block so it can track way down beyond the low B, in which case perhaps a future firmware update could just have this as a built in feature in the Synth block itself.

It would be great to know if a C4 style selectable tracking range would be possible. The C4 itself can even handle A0 even if it's not listed in it's not covered by it's tracking range
Afaik they sample the first half wave only to double the speed.

Top Bottom