Synth block tracking

Since i made a similar thread, Cliff said that the synth block only tracks to 47hZ. It isnt intended for use with bass.

It handles my low F# (4-string) fine, F and E not so much.

Since i made a similar thread, Cliff said that the synth block only tracks to 47hZ. It isnt intended for use with bass.

It handles my low F# (4-string) fine, F and E not so much.

Yes this has been the case since the Axe II but what we're talking about here is the ability in the Axe III to shift the bass guitar up an octave using the Pitch block before it hits the Synth, and then adjusting the pitch of the Synth to the desired pitch to match the physical pitch of the bass guitar. This is something you can't do on the Axe II because of how the pitch detection is configured.

There are plenty of digital synth pedals that do track down to B0 but i suppose Cliff decided to make F#1/G1 the tracking limit in order to make everything up to the highest note on the guitar track better. I still think that a selectable tracking range (similar to the Source Audio C4) would be a better approach. For example for an extended range instrument, you could have two Synth blocks, one set to track the bass range and one for the guitar range, with each Synth block's bypass state controlled by a pitch modifier . I'm sure the Axe III can handle tracking much lower if the Pitch block itself can track the low bass range.

From what I know In order to detect the pitch you need to sample at least one full cycle of the input signal. At 47Hz this means about 20msec sample length and latency which I personally find quite annoying. No clue how other devices do the trick.

From what I know In order to detect the pitch you need to sample at least one full cycle of the input signal. At 47Hz this means about 20msec sample length and latency which I personally find quite annoying. No clue how other devices do the trick.

It could be that the other devices pitch shift the input signal up (maybe by an octave) before it hits the tracking. As @Fjord posted above, with the Axe III you can insert a Pitch block before the synth while using a bass guitar to pitch shift the signal up an octave before it hits the Synth block so it can track way down beyond the low B, in which case perhaps a future firmware update could just have this as a built in feature in the Synth block itself.

It would be great to know if a C4 style selectable tracking range would be possible. The C4 itself can even handle A0 even if it's not listed in it's not covered by it's tracking range

It could be that the other devices pitch shift the input signal up (maybe by an octave) before it hits the tracking. As @Fjord posted above, with the Axe III you can insert a Pitch block before the synth while using a bass guitar to pitch shift the signal up an octave before it hits the Synth block so it can track way down beyond the low B, in which case perhaps a future firmware update could just have this as a built in feature in the Synth block itself.

It would be great to know if a C4 style selectable tracking range would be possible. The C4 itself can even handle A0 even if it's not listed in it's not covered by it's tracking range

Afaik they sample the first half wave only to double the speed.

Ahh! Late for the party again. I’m just discovering the c4 pedal now! And I got to say this is on my wishlist. Love this forum. Even though this tread has been dead for 2 years there are still resources avaiable. Like that it tracks A0! I did not know that. So cool that people share this stuff! Even if I didn’t own the axe III, this forum is a treasure chest!

Yes, i know i can get the low notes within the fractal unit. But the axe fx does not track the low notes of a bass guitar.

Yep. Another workaround instead of feeding the Synth Block a Pitch Block octave up signal is to split the bass singal before it hits the Axe and run one split into a bass whammy set one octave up and then feed that to the Synth block (set one octave down) via one input on the Axe, and the other split as the dry bass into another input on the Axe.

Basically you would need to find the pitch shifting pedal with the lowest latency.

Yep. Another workaround instead of feeding the Synth Block a Pitch Block octave up signal is to split the bass singal before it hits the Axe and run one split into a bass whammy set one octave up and then feed that to the Synth block (set one octave down) via one input on the Axe, and the other split as the dry bass into another input on the Axe.

Basically you would need to find the pitch shifting pedal with the lowest latency.

That seems like a real hassle. Then you might just as well buy a better dedicated synth pedal like the Source Audio c4 or something from Boss or so.

I think the c4 is what I’ll go for. But it is cool that there are so much resources and people who share their experiences and tricks. Amazing forum

Back
Top Bottom