switching scene from a guitar switch?

Forza42

hello,
I have some guitar witch a 3 positions switch that does nothing
i d like to do like James Hetfield’s guitar, he s able to switch preset from his guitar
switch pos 1 = scene 1
switch pos 2 = scene 2
switch pos 3 = scene 3

I don t really know where to start…

help is really appreciated :)

yeah!

my plan is:
plug the 3 switch buttons to a mini arduino that will send the signal blue tooth or else
a receiver is plugged to the fm3 with the midi information

It's doable, but that's an awful lot of work for just 3 scenes when like unix-guy said you can easily switch that on the FM3 itself.

Neither case is impossible, just impractical.
Not necessarily imo. I use Abasi Fishmans, and I have separate scenes for SC and HB configurations (or EQ on/off in some cases), because I need very different sounds.
I'd be so happy to be able to switch scenes with guitar switch while moving around freely, and have FM3 far from front row.
It's all tools, why limit myself.

I have thought about several times in the past (and would prefer) the opposite approach: switch pickups via a footswitch - especially tied to scene or preset changes.

Neither case is impossible, just impractical.

you might find this Thrice rig rundown interesting, that's exactly what he's setup with the Helix setup

guitar has a TRS cable/custom wiring, and depending on the snapshot /preset it will use either the bridge or neck pickup

it's limited to the two pickups here, but it's the first time I've seen such an implementation

Not necessarily imo. I use Abasi Fishmans, and I have separate scenes for SC and HB configurations (or EQ on/off in some cases), because I need very different sounds.
I'd be so happy to be able to switch scenes with guitar switch while moving around freely, and have FM3 far from front row.
It's all tools, why limit myself.
Might want to re-read what you replied to... ;)

Some have great projects with guitars and midi controllers

Have a look for inspiration Here

My guess, teensy is a microcontroller small and powerfull enough to fit in the guitar and have bluetooth capability see Here
The ESP32 could do it maby

if you can find the right libriarys and a way to power the teensy, I think this could actually work

Using a rotary could give you acces to all 8 scenes

Cheers

Last edited:
Might want to re-read what you replied to... ;)
I did, you mentioned both cases, so I think it's ok :)
Anyway, reverse case is fine with me too. In the quartet I play now we have an acoustic and a trumpet - I'd be happy to leave FM3 under other guitarist's feet and let him manage my pickup switching when he's changing the scene to a "trumpet soloing" one :)

I’m sure it doable with a flic 2 button.

Some people use that to change sheets on the forscore app. And it’s seems you can program midi with it.

The path would be guitar with flic > iPhone/ipad with flic app>bt to midi > fractal.

Was tempted to try it last year just to have my lead scene and rythm scene available when I’m not in front of my pedalboard but I’m kind of lazy right now lol.

Yeah, forgot about that... Of course, that limits you to using a Variax guitar and Line6 processor, too.

What would be cool is a wireless midi pickup selector (maybe Bluetooth?) that could use PCs to store pickup selection combinations.

Edit:

Interesting:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...VBCStBh25CA5UEAQYASABEgLZ1PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
There's another thread here about that. I have decidedly mixed feelings. Also note that it only uses Bluetooth to program its internal memories, not to control it, or for it to control anything else remotely.

I’m sure it doable with a flic 2 button.

Some people use that to change sheets on the forscore app. And it’s seems you can program midi with it.

The path would be guitar with flic > iPhone/ipad with flic app>bt to midi > fractal.

Was tempted to try it last year just to have my lead scene and rythm scene available when I’m not in front of my pedalboard but I’m kind of lazy right now lol.

I use the Piascore app for sheet music. I turn the page by looking at the ipad and winking. Right eye go ahead a page, left to go back. That might be an interesting interface for switching scenes :).

The Noatronic system will do this.

The Vigier Nautilus II, which was announced several NAMM shows ago then quickly shelved for redesign according to their US manager, does the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom