switching presets with a single click?

jzucker

Experienced
dumb question, on the ax8, is there any way to either put a 2nd amp into a scene or to be able to switch to a different preset with one button click? Right now to switch from bank1-preset 1 to bank1-preset 2 I have to hit F1 and then FS 2

Yes on the one click. You can assign any button with a preset number (1-8) and it will go straight to that preset with one click. I have several set where the bottom 4 buttons are my Preset 1 through 4 in that bank for just that reason. Just go to the footswitch page and assign the button you want to P1, P2, etc.

On the same lines...
With a modeler that can have two amps running at the same time in one preset, I can use an expression pedal to morph from one amp to the other.
  1. With the AX8, could have one amp (in x) in a preset with another amp (in y) and switch between them without a noticeable pause that one normally hears when changing presets?
  2. If I add an expression pedal to the AX8, will I be able to morph between an amp in x and a different amp in y without any pause in output?
  3. Are there other ways to do this?
Thanks

On the same lines...
With a modeler that can have two amps running at the same time in one preset, I can use an expression pedal to morph from one amp to the other.
  1. With the AX8, could have one amp (in x) in a preset with another amp (in y) and switch between them without a noticeable pause that one normally hears when changing presets?
  2. If I add an expression pedal to the AX8, will I be able to morph between an amp in x and a different amp in y without any pause in output?
Thanks

No. On the AX8 you'd have to use the Amp X/Y switch or scenes and either way you'd have an audio dropout. Unless you have a particular reason not to, it would probably be better to just switch presets. You might actually end up with a shorter dropout that way.
-
Austin

On the same lines...
Thanks
1. For me, in live use, the very slight pause between amp swaps in X/Y is hardly noticeable, and isn't a factor. But for some it has been... I guess that is each person's taste. If your requirement is "no pause at all" then it isn't that.
2. I do not think so, but in truth have never tried to do it so I don't even know if it is possible to do that. My gut feeling is the unit has to dump one model to load the other (hence the aforementioned pause) so the only way to morph from one to the other is to have two amp blocks... which the AX-8 doesn't. Perhaps with an Axe Fx...
3. The AX8 was created with the intention of getting Axe Fx quality sound in an all-in-one modeler and foot controller at a reasonable price point. In that, they succeeded. Unfortunately, there are limitations to every design idea and some of the multi-amp preset functions were among the things most players don't require. There is always the Axe Fx for those that do. I have both for just this reason. That's a very long answer meant to say I don't think so... but there are other units that will.

I hope that is somewhat helpful, if a bit wordy!

No. On the AX8 you'd have to use the Amp X/Y switch or scenes and either way you'd have an audio dropout. Unless you have a particular reason not to, it would probably be better to just switch presets. You might actually end up with a shorter dropout that way.
-
Austin

Thanks Austin. Pardon me, but I have only been reading up on the AX8. To "morph" between amps I would have to get the Axe FX II XL+?

Last edited:
1. For me, in live use, the very slight pause between amp swaps in X/Y is hardly noticeable, and isn't a factor. But for some it has been... I guess that is each person's taste. If your requirement is "no pause at all" then it isn't that.
2. I do not think so, but in truth have never tried to do it so I don't even know if it is possible to do that. My gut feeling is the unit has to dump one model to load the other (hence the aforementioned pause) so the only way to morph from one to the other is to have two amp blocks... which the AX-8 doesn't. Perhaps with an Axe Fx...
3. The AX8 was created with the intention of getting Axe Fx quality sound in an all-in-one modeler and foot controller at a reasonable price point. In that, they succeeded. Unfortunately, there are limitations to every design idea and some of the multi-amp preset functions were among the things most players don't require. There is always the Axe Fx for those that do. I have both for just this reason. That's a very long answer meant to say I don't think so... but there are other units that will.

I hope that is somewhat helpful, if a bit wordy!

Thanks Rick. Very helpful!

After thinking on it for a second, yes, you can morph seamlessly on the Axe Fx. Basically you would use two amp blocks in parallel, tied to the same continuous controller pedal, set to inverse mapping (one 0 to 100, the other 100 to 0) so that moving the pedal is turning one up and the other down as you go toe to heel or heel to toe. I think it would take some tweaking to get it exactly as you want, but that would "morph" from one amp to the other with no dropout because you're actually never turning either off... just turning one up while turning the other down.

I do this currently on the my ultra (not just with amps, but with heaps of parallel effect lines) and it works great as the transitions can be faded and not hard changes.

Use a mixer block so you don't need to set the controller to modify the individual amp blocks, you just modify the gain levels of the mixer block simultaneously with the same controller, then you can have up to four lines all being morphed with the same expression pedal movement.

You could also achieve morphing by using a single amp in a preset and using the expression pedal to do things such as reduce drive, increase treble, increase the level of a GEQ in the path etc. I've achieved this with great success on the Ax II and will replicate it when I get my AX8

Happy to share a preset when I get it up and running on the new gizmo!

This may not be the right place to post this, forgive me if so. My AX8 is set to show up tomorrow and I have never owned a Fractal unit before. I am modifying a Crybaby wah to use as an expression pedal which I think I have under control pretty well (with one small question - anyone know if I need to put a resistor between the pot and the jack? - the Strymon link shows a 1k, others have said FAS gear will learn the pedal either way) Anyway, the biggest reason I'm writing is to ask about pedal programming. I am embarrassed to say this, but I've been using a Boss GT-6 for years and I really want to only have 1 expression pedal with my AX8, and for it to behave like it does on the Boss units. Basically, here's the operation: it's set as a volume control globally. When the wah is activated, it controls the wah. As soon as the wah is turned off, it goes back to volume. The difficulty lies in the default characteristics that you don't really program in the GT-6, Boss just takes care of it in the background and they really did a good job. IE: you set the volume of your patch w/the expression, then you tap a switch to activate the wah, the volume stays at whatever your foot set it to before activating the wah. Then, when it's turned off, it's most likely that the final resting position of the pedal WON'T be where you left the volume before, but it doesn't matter, the Boss keeps it at the previously set volume UNTIL it senses movement of the pedal. So at that point, if you tap it even a little, it could jump drastically, but since it remembered the previous set volume, it doesn't matter - you just keep your foot off the pedal and you're good. After talking with the guys at Fractal yesterday, it sounds like this is either impossible or would require some very tricky programming. I thought that was so weird, every Boss mfx unit operates this way and it seems like the best option for only one pedal. I hardly ever use the wah so I hate to have to carry around 2 expressions.
Any help on this, and the ? about the resistor, would be mucho gratitudo!

Back
Top Bottom