Switching between axefx amp models and my own amps tones?

schlagdog

Inspired
Is there a link or a template somewhere that would explain how to use the axefx in the 4CM switching between say an axefx amp using my amps power section and then using my amps preamp also. I'd like to be able to use my 6505+'s main tone and then switch to say a better clean amp using the 6505+ power section all in one patch maybe? I have tried to get away from the 6505+ but just can't get there with just axefx and matrix power amp. I know something like the digitech 1101 does it easy and I'm sure the axefx simple can do it but just not sure the proper routing in one patch. Somehow I know in the digitech you push a switch and it turns off the other outputs and only let's the one for the output go to just hit the amps power section. Is there a patch floating around that is all routed correctly to download?

Have you created any presets with 2 amp blocks in parallel? This would be the same except the FX Loop replaces one amp. Set both to mute bypass mode. You may want to disable the amp block power amp sim (sag = 0). Switching could be done via scenes or an ext. control on block bypasses.

Have you created any presets with 2 amp blocks in parallel? This would be the same except the FX Loop replaces one amp. Set both to mute bypass mode. You may want to disable the amp block power amp sim (sag = 0). Switching could be done via scenes or an ext. control on block bypasses.

I'll sit down today and try a bunch if different things. I thought it might be a little easier and there might be a patch out there routed right. Thanks for the info.

If you wire the amp and Axe-Fx in the 4-cable method, it's easy:

To use your amp's preamp, put the Fx Loop block anywhere on the grid. You can think of it effectively as your "real amp's preamp" block.

To bypass your amp's preamp and just use the Axe-Fx's amp sims with your real amp's poweramp section, just make a patch like you normally would and forget about the Fx Loop block.

That's it!

edit: You might want to recheck this, but be careful about blending your real amp's preamp in parallel with the Axe-Fx's amp block. Doing that could create phasing issues due to very small processing delays inherent to the Axe-Fx converting the fx loop signal from digital to analog and back to digital. You could attempt to compensate for phasing by maybe adding a 1 or 2 ms delay after the Axe-Fx amp sim block.

Last edited:
I've used a flanger block to create a micro-delay to phase align my tube pre's with the Axe's amp block(s).

If you wire the amp and Axe-Fx in the 4-cable method, it's easy:

To use your amp's preamp, put the Fx Loop block anywhere on the grid. You can think of it effectively as your "real amp's preamp" block.

To bypass your amp's preamp and just use the Axe-Fx's amp sims with your real amp's poweramp section, just make a patch like you normally would and forget about the Fx Loop block.

That's it!

edit: You might want to recheck this, but be careful about blending your real amp's preamp in parallel with the Axe-Fx's amp block. Doing that could create phasing issues due to very small processing delays inherent to the Axe-Fx converting the fx loop signal from digital to analog and back to digital. You could attempt to compensate for phasing by maybe adding a 1 or 2 ms delay after the Axe-Fx amp sim block.

Back
Top Bottom