cheap

Is anyone else totally blown away by the sounds in the newest firmware? Especially the Fender amps?

Recently, I found myself lucky enough to take in a Murphy Lab 1954 Goldtop Reissue and found out that P90's are absolutely what I've been after sonically. Immediately I deleted all of my presets (after exporting some favorites just in case. I'm not that crazy...most of the time) and built from scratch.

I came up with this Super Reverb rig without much tweaking from defaults, using the Eruption IR's from Dweezil's GoT preset and cannot believe the sounds I'm getting.

I've been after this big clean with a bit of burn thing for some time now and this is as close as I have ever gotten. The trick to lower the Master Volume trim on the Vibrato channel really gives me all the gain range I could ever want for a clean to mid-gain thing and it is SUPER addicting to play and get lost in.

With the cab being a GoT cab I'm not sure how the preset sharing rules apply, but I'll attach a screenshot of the amp and cab settings.

The sounds are ZERO post processing, literally Out 1 into the Logic, using trim to add 7dB of gain to the audio files so I didn't have to use a limiter or compression to get the volume up for export. The Amp Block Bias Trem was turned on for the first test and there's a Mono Tape delay for the second test and the guitar is tuned lower for some bellowing goodness; +10 points if you know the song.

Anyway, here's Wonderwall:

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 8.47.34 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 8.47.47 PM.jpg

And the Les Paul:
IMG_2286.jpg

Oh my god man, that Lester...
Beautiful clean tones there. You described it perfectly- big clean with a bit of burn. Thanks for sharing settings!

Re: sharing GoT IR’s (and/or presets, for that matter) — I’d say you’re totally in the clear. A Gift is a Gift, and in this case I think “re-gifting” is A-OK.

Oh my god man, that Lester...
Beautiful clean tones there. You described it perfectly- big clean with a bit of burn. Thanks for sharing settings!

I keep thinking I'm a Marshall player, but then the Fender sounds get me where I want to be so I'm going with that flow haha. Might have to pair with an AC30 and try and rip off Daniel Lanois better next

Re: sharing GoT IR’s (and/or presets, for that matter) — I’d say you’re totally in the clear. A Gift is a Gift, and in this case I think “re-gifting” is A-OK.

Excellent, thanks! I figured with those being readily available to everyone it wouldn't be an issue, but didn't want to push it

The Super Reverb model is one of my favorites for sure.

I've only used it a handful of times before this, but can see this being a go-to moving forward for just about any sound. Any other Fender favorites that aren't a typical Twin, mr_fender?

I forgot about the Dweezil IR’s. Tried this on my FM3 so only 2 cabs. I used the Bright IR mixed down paired with the dark IR. Sounds nice with a bridge Seth Lover. Tried my main P90 guitar too. Then tried my existing Super preset which wasn’t far off. The Super has that sound. I’m not familiar with the master volume trim. Never touched it before.

This is nice combination @cheap! Just spent a few hours playing with it. Using the stock Super speaker curve with the Dweezil IR’s. Great looking guitar btw. I love P90’s and have them in 3 guitars but tonight I was playing a HSS guitar. Running a Klon with the drive set low for soloing. Really nice. It’s a keeper. I saved those IR’s when the GOT’s released and haven’t used them since so thanks for posting.

The sounds are ZERO post processing, literally Out 1 into the Logic, using trim to add 7dB of gain to the audio files so I didn't have to use a limiter or compression to get the volume up for export. The Amp Block Bias Trem was turned on for the first test and there's a Mono Tape delay for the second test and the guitar is tuned lower for some bellowing goodness; +10 points if you know the song.

That sounds great! I don’t know the song but want to know it.

I love the Super…but the Vibro verb is just unbelievable. I think I’m using an Ownhammer IR that I bought…but I’m not familiar with GoT Eruption IRs. Gonna go look that up.
The Brownface Super is straight up garage rock. Try the Champ with a bigger cab too. All those small amps sound great.

https://on.soundcloud.com/U4rM1UYgobmVcLG38

That sounds very nice! The IR is from what type of cab? Are you using the stock curve with it?

Last edited:
I love the Super…but the Vibro verb is just unbelievable. I think I’m using an Ownhammer IR that I bought…but I’m not familiar with GoT Eruption IRs. Gonna go look that up.
The Brownface Super is straight up garage rock. Try the Champ with a bigger cab too. All those small amps sound great.

Is there any way to hear that without installing the app? Most SoundCloud clips here play in the browser.

The 6G4 Super is "the one that got away" for me. Should have bought the one I saw for $400 at a music shop in Glendale back in '91-'92. Passed over it because I wanted a Super Reverb.... :(

Now I have one in the FM9, and use it pretty frequently....

The Champ and Tweed Princeton models are superb for using the bias tremolo in the amp block as well since they are pure Class A amps too.

Last edited:
The Champ and Tweed Princeton models are superb for using the bias tremolo in the amp block as well since they are pure Class A amps too.

I modded my '66 Deluxe Amp to bias mod tremolo IRL, to cure the ticking of the optoisolator "roach". Much nicer tremolo, the tremolo circuitry doesn't load down the Vibrato channel any more, and both channels get tremolo now....

Yeah bias tremolo has got some magic. The Bias Tremolo model in the Trem/Pan block is pretty darn good, but the real deal in the amp block has got its own special sauce with certain amps. The throbs have a certain bloom to them that's pretty addictive. I've always been a bit of a reverb and tremolo junkie. I can get lost that in that smokey, swampy haze for hours.

Yeah bias tremolo has got some magic. The Bias Tremolo model in the Trem/Pan block is pretty darn good, but the real deal in the amp block has got its own special sauce with certain amps.

Yup.

The throbs have a certain bloom to them that's pretty addictive.

100% what happened in my Deluxe. The opto-roach is kinda "choppy". Bias mod is smooooove and more dynamically interactive with the output section as you play louder, and it makes you want to use it....

I've always been a bit of a reverb and tremolo junkie. I can get lost that in that smokey, swampy haze for hours.

Yup. As it turned out, what I really wanted was not reverb, but a longer delay mixed low-ish. Oh, to be able to go back and inject that info (and a few others) into my 20-ish year old brain....

Back
Top Bottom