Suhr Modern vs Modern Plus

Nothing wrong with the sound of basswood. I just don't like it because it's soft and dents easily.
I am in this camp too. I can't even understand why they make guitars out of poplar and paulownia. Those are really soft as well and dent if you look at them wrong. I have played a few guitars made from basswood that sounded really good. I just can't get past needing to keep it in bubble wrap all the time to keep from denting it. I typically stick with mahogany, maple, alder and ash, with maple or rosewood fretboards.

I grabbed this one from Soundpure for $3050 last week as a result of a "pricing error"(according to Suhr rep) that would be corrected with the dealer. Funnily enough, the "pricing error" is still intact this morning(in case anyone is looking for a good deal on a Suhr).

Unfortunately, I haven't bonded with the tone of this guitar yet, probably will consider a pickup change. It plays great, just sounds kind of...meh.

PXL_20230329_132054360.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds a little sweeter to my ears.
Grab a screwdriver, keep track of where you started, adjust on half to one full turn of the screwdriver at a time and listen.
You'll know when it sound right and if it doesn't you can but some new pickups.

Sounds a little sweeter to my ears.
Grab a screwdriver, keep track of where you started, adjust on half to one full turn of the screwdriver at a time and listen.
You'll know when it sound right and if it doesn't you can but some new pickups.
I run the JB in my San Dimas and Duncan 78 in the 5150 quite a bit lower than recommended, really improves clarity.

The Suhr Modern roasted is a dealer exclusive run (Eddie's Guitars). The Modern plus is a Suhr production configuration and is available at all of their dealers.
I had one of the Modern roasted's from Eddie's it was a killer guitar, just ended up not gelling with it. I have another one from Eddie's as well that's not roasted that im selling, ive just found my tastes changing a bit this year.

I must have had a cold or something messing up my ears, it sounds a lot better now after a week of playing it.

Going to add some Wilkinson locking saddles after I wear these strings out pretty soon.

I must have had a cold or something messing up my ears, it sounds a lot better now after a week of playing it.

Going to add some Wilkinson locking saddles after I wear these strings out pretty soon.
Did you already buy them? They seem to be always out of stock...

Back
Top Bottom