Suhr Modern vs Modern Plus

Those are both Suhr Modern Plus model guitars. Humbucker Music is using Suhr's product nomenclature while SoundPure is just simplifying it. I don't believe that there is currently a Suhr Modern standard model but there used to be. They were offered in solid black or solid white only whereas the modern plus has a flame maple top and transparent finish.

Those are both Suhr Modern Plus model guitars. Humbucker Music is using Suhr's product nomenclature while SoundPure is just simplifying it. I don't believe that there is currently a Suhr Modern standard model but there used to be. They were offered in solid black or solid white only whereas the modern plus has a flame maple top and transparent finish.
Awful big difference in price.

@sandmannn69 The difference in price is the result of the bump in pricing for 2023 ($3,999) vs 2022 ($3,299). The prices on Suhr guitars have been going up every year for several years now. When I bought my first Suhr Modern Pro (essentially the same as the Modern Plus) in 2017 the list price was $2,699. The Classic S that I bought in that same year was $2,195.

Suhr prices have been going up consistently for the past 5 years or so. I can't believe how much they have gone up. I own three of them. Two of them are custom builds. My third is a Classic Pro. The name of this model has changed a few times. They seem to like to do that. I am super amazed at how much the price has gone up on this model and it is basically just a better HSS strat.

@sandmannn69 The difference in price is the result of the bump in pricing for 2023 ($3,999) vs 2022 ($3,299). The prices on Suhr guitars have been going up every year for several years now. When I bought my first Suhr Modern Pro (essentially the same as the Modern Plus) in 2017 the list price was $2,699. The Classic S that I bought in that same year was $2,195.
That's odd, the cheaper one(assuming it's a 2022) has a higher serial number.

@sandmann69 I don't know how to decipher Suhr model numbers. If you're curious what year it was made you can either contact SoundPure or Suhr customer support. I have contacted SoundPure a few times and their people are very responsive.

Yeah, I was looking at that one, too. Just the red one matches an order I was going to submit for a TAG, and I heard the Suhr pickups are similar to the Charvel custom pups in my Govan sig(which I really like).
Good luck w that!

I'm in no way serious about getting that Bengal, just in internet drool mode. Though I suppose donations would be happily accepted ;)

@sandmann69 I don't know how to decipher Suhr model numbers. If you're curious what year it was made you can either contact SoundPure or Suhr customer support. I have contacted SoundPure a few times and their people are very responsive.
Humbucker Music stated their build date on the plus was May 2022, waiting to hear back from Soundpure.

@sandmannn69 Humbucker Music has taken on the policy of boosting the price to whatever the current MAP pricing is regardless of build date. It used to be that they would only post the new builds at the current price. The Classic S that I purchased from them for $2,195 was right after the new prices for those were bumped to $2,450. They had the newest guitars in stock for $2,450 and the new old stock were listed for $2,195.

A Suhr rep replied to my post on another forum.

"Modern" would be our general body shape/platform, while a "Modern Plus" would be a specific model from our preconfigured offerings.
As "Modern" would be the overall shape, some dealers may use this moniker to refer to some of their guitars, be it a custom, preconfigured, or Ltd. build as a general name.

In this case, both guitars are a "Modern Plus".
There seems to be a mistake in the pricing of one of our dealers. We have reached out to our sales team, and they will help the dealer correct the listing.

Unfortunately, the dealer didn't the message as I just snagged it for $3k. :)

Last edited:
@Mohi The cost of doing manufacturing in the US is getting very expensive. John Suhr has high standards and wants to employ and retain people who can meet those standards every time.

I see, well good that I got mine bu then, not it would be beyond too much :)
On the other side, I can sell my wife the operation as a great investment :)

TBH I think "Plus" is a lower cost line. Typically basswood bodies and a gig bag instead of a hardshell case.

I just bought a Roasted Modern. Typical Suhr quality but, yikes, prices are getting up there.

The Suhr Modern roasted is a dealer exclusive run (Eddie's Guitars). The Modern plus is a Suhr production configuration and is available at all of their dealers.

TBH I think "Plus" is a lower cost line. Typically basswood bodies and a gig bag instead of a hardshell case.

I just bought a Roasted Modern. Typical Suhr quality but, yikes, prices are getting up there.
My basswood body Charvel Guthrie Govan sounds amazing.

Of course, it's probably the Charvel pickups made by that german dude....

Back
Top Bottom