Suhr Modern - Dead spots

chrisxs2003

Inspired
I'm considering picking up a used Suhr Modern with a bolt on neck. I've been interested in one for a long time, but I've been a bit concerned about buying the perfect guitar only to find it has dead notes due to resonance issues or whatever. How prevalent are they in this model? Buying used with no chance to play it before I buy makes me nervous.

I'm considering picking up a used Suhr Modern with a bolt on neck. I've been interested in one for a long time, but I've been a bit concerned about buying the perfect guitar only to find it has dead notes due to resonance issues or whatever. How prevalent are they in this model? Buying used with no chance to play it before I buy makes me nervous.
I have 2 Suhr guitars and they are great - even if you have problems Suhr will look after you as they have lifetime guarantee .

My Modern satin is actually with Suhr for a new neck as I bought it second hand and I have never been able to get it straight and the truss rod was maxed out. I reached it out to Suhr and they said they would build a new neck free of charge which they are doing - not sure when I will get it back. I'm based in the UK as well

My other Suhr Modern is flawless (2nd hand as well)

I’ve read that dead spots are more prevalent in 24 fret guitars, but I haven’t noticed any dead spots with my Modern.
I know PRS puts those big heels on their 24 fret models to help prevent dead spots.

Get the Modern. I’m sure you’ll love it.

I have Suhr modern terra. Best guitar I’ve ever played no dead spots. Sustain is crazy long. I also have a Suhr antique s, same thing.

Not going to lie though, I get nervous buying used guitars if I can’t try them first. And I always check truss rod

I just bought a Modern T satin on Reverb this week. Got it in yesterday and spent about 20 minutes playing. Amazing neck and fretwork. No dead spots so far.

I had a modern satin that had a massive dead spot. Sent it to Suhr to look at. They replaced the neck. For free. Even though I bought it used! Other Suhrs I’ve had haven’t had a problem, although I will say that same Modern Satin requires almost constant truss rod adjustment for some reason.

I have several Suhr guitars and they are all amazing instruments. The dead note thing has been way overblown online. Knowing how obsessed John Suhr is with the details and perfecting guitar making, this is one brand that I would never hesitate to buy without playing first and have done so myself. Suhr is well known for customer satisfaction and taking care of customers after the sale. Highly recommend trying Suhr!

I have several Suhr guitars and they are all amazing instruments. The dead note thing has been way overblown online. Knowing how obsessed John Suhr is with the details and perfecting guitar making, this is one brand that I would never hesitate to buy without playing first and have done so myself. Suhr is well known for customer satisfaction and taking care of customers after the sale. Highly recommend trying Suhr!
It's not overblown. John is excellent though and Suhr modern is no more prone to dead spots than many other brands. I personally would not buy anything from anyone without playing it first . You could make sure that it has a no quibble return policy.

It is always a risk buying a guitar sight unseen, but as others have said, their support is very good. Still, you might be waiting months for a fix (turn around time on my Suhr that went for warranty repair was 10 months). If you're really worried about it then play before you buy. That might limit you to local transactions. Only you can decide if the risk is worth it or not.

I had a modern satin that had a massive dead spot. Sent it to Suhr to look at. They replaced the neck. For free. Even though I bought it used! Other Suhrs I’ve had haven’t had a problem, although I will say that same Modern Satin requires almost constant truss rod adjustment for some reason.
They are changing my modern satin neck to a different wood type which is there now preferred wood type. Possibly an an issue with the okoume wood type.

I've had a suhr modern (see profile pic) for a long time no dead spots. It's been my main guitar other than my trusty Les Paul. Versatile, plays great, sounds great. No issues since purchase.

Hi! I've had bad luck with dead spots, indeed 😅

And that included a Suhr Modern Satin.

Only a vibration driver or a small speaker attached to the body solved the problem
index.php

Here are more details:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-is-the-ultimate-check-list-template.2383374/

Last edited:
They are changing my modern satin neck to a different wood type which is there now preferred wood type. Possibly an an issue with the okoume wood type.
I have a custom Suhr Modern that came with a mahogany neck. It had a dead spot on the G string at the 12 fret. I sent it to Suhr and they made a new roasted maple neck. The dead spot is still there but slightly less dead. I think the problem is the geometry of the guitar and where the neck meets the body combined with specific bodies.

I have a custom modern set neck carve top, custom standard carve top and a classic pro. All are great guitars. I have had no issues with any of them. Since two of mine are custom builds, there was no option to play before buying. The classic pro I bought new from a shop that is a little over an hour away from me so I was able to put my hands on that one before I bought it. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one without getting to play it first.

Back
Top Bottom