Suggestions ?

What's up all, so my Ultra will be in my hands as of Tuesday according to UPS so I'm left with the question of POWER AMP. Is there a big difference between the solid-state or tube pre amp with the ultra. I've been looking over the posts with the Rocktrons, Carvins,VHT etc etc but still unsure. Thankfully Im fortunate enough I didnt have to sell any of my tube amps (Splawn Nitro, 1st production Peavey 5150 II, Engl Invader 150) Basically should I invest in one of the solid-state rack pre amps or just use the power section of one of the amps I already have ? Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanx.

There are different camps on this subject and it all depends on how much you geek out on your tone. Most that use a traditional guitar cab like the color of tube power amp, though the SS offering from Matrix seems to be coming very close depending on who is posting.

So if your a diehard tube guy go the tube power amp rought and be done with it. If your the experimenting type and have some time and money you can explore the SS offerings of Carvin, Rocktron, ART, Matrix, QSC etc etc... I say weigh what's most important to you tone, space, weight and go from there.

For me if it sounds close enough I know it will be outstanding for 99% of everyone else that is listening because most of the time they don't even care :roll.

Try using the power amp and speaker in the amps you already have. You might be thrilled with the results, or you might not. You'll get something useable either way, and you won't be out any extra money. If you buy a power amp, you'll need to buy speakers, too. If you try what you've got, you can compare it to other systems, and let your ears decide which you like better

The biggest draw to the Axe Fx for me is the versatility and mobility I play in two different bands one being original progressive metal and the other being a cover playing everything from SRV to U2. I'm not a tube snob I just go with what sounds good to me. Playing out 2 to 3 times a week on top of working full-time installing HVAC equipment 40+ hrs a week I'm just getting tired of moving heavy tube amps, pedal boards and cabs in live in cases haha. Plus when I get home from work it's usually later so full blown tube amp volumes aren't an option. A 4 to 6 space rack an one of my Orange two by twelves seems to be the best option for all situations. I think I'll go with the single space Rocktron Velocity unless someone had a better suggestion. It'll be nice having the option to use it or disconnect it an run through one of my heads sometimes. Thanx for the advice. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom