Suggestions on what you've done to enjoy 18.03

And after I did that, I find out that all my patches where I used Input Noise Gate (Intelligent mode) are now sounds like threshold is set too high, it eating the signal very hard. So I have to lower threshold from -30.7 (like it was before) to somewhere around -77. I tried to adjust input volume but it had no affect on noise gate.

There's a global noise gate threshold in the Global menu.
You probably had that set at a non-default value. Performing a reset changed the value.

I have about three completely built-from-scratch presets that I've spent a fair amount of time tweaking to get them right. Enough time that I'm reluctant to start over with them.

When 18 first came out, I reset the amp blocks on those three, but they still needed a lot of tweaking for the tones I was after; it wasn't a "OMG, the amps are all perfect right out of the box" moment for me. Yesterday, I noticed that one of my multi-delay blocks was not in stereo anymore, and couldn't figure out why: all the pan settings showed up correctly. I had to replace that block with a new one, and immediately the panning was working again.

So I think I might need a reset, but I'm reluctant to lose all the tweaks I have done. I have backups of that bank and of the system parameters under 18.04B firmware. To get back to the clean slate with complete certainty, would I want to just do a "restore factory defaults" step, then load that bank from AxeEdit? Or does reloading the bank load up the same "issues" that were potential problems before? And if I also reload the backup of the system parameters, would that also reload any settings issues? Is it advisable to load up the factory banks as part of the erasure, then restore my bank after?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how complete the erasure of the system needs to be, and whether the issues reside in the sysex files or elsewhere.

"Reset system params" does not affect preset parameters.

Backup/Restore of the system data is NOT the same as a system reset.
The system data include the "global blocks", so restoring a backup DOES affect presets.

The Multi Delay issue may or may not be the result of changes to (and some bugs in) the Multi Delay in previous firmwares.

"sysex" has nothing to do with this. That's related to data transfers through MIDI.

"Reset system params" does not affect preset parameters. Backup/Restore of the system data is NOT the same as a system reset. The system data include the "global blocks", so restoring a backup DOES affect presets. The Multi Delay issue may or may not be the result of changes to (and some bugs in) the Multi Delay in previous firmwares. "sysex" has nothing to do with this. That's related to data transfers through MIDI.

Sorry, Yek, I'm still confused.

Maybe they're not sysex files. The files I was talking about would come into play if I basically used FractalBot to restore the bank I had spent so much time on, and if I also used the backup of the system parameters, that would also come down the pipe. So if some bug or bad setting or whatever was transferred back to the unit in using either backup, that would defeat the purpose.

It is recommended to reset the amp blocks. In fact, I suspect all blocks may need to be reset (that's why I put in what I did in my prior post about the multidelay panning). But it is a drag to literally start building from scratch for all presets. And you've got that backup right there, so it is tempting to use them. Is there a drawback in doing so?

Ah okay, you meant the files. Yes, they contain sysex data.

You can of course create a backup of your current presets.
And restore a bank you made previously.

No need to restore system data, if you don't use global blocks.
Just do a system reset in Utility, and adjust stuff in I/O and Global as you like.

I don't know if restoring the backup is going to help you. Like you say, maybe the 'bad' settings are already in there.
Also depends at what date it was created, current firmware may affect it.

so we should "reset system parameters", there is no need to "restore factory defaults". I too am wondering if I did a 'system backup' and restore this AFTER a reset system parameters, if I am simply re introducing potential bugs. Its just soooooooo much easier then going through all my midi parameters and global eq settings again. However now seems to be the time to do that. If I am reading threads correctly some bugs/bass issues etc. have been in this black beauty since FW 3 or something.

Interesting I updated yesterday and just plugged and play and was thrilled with the results. This is with my 12 string electric too which takes me a while to get dialed in.

I am a religious fan of Reset. :)

For whatever reason, I've experienced that occasionally things can happen "under the hood".
A reset solves that. Takes 30 secs to do a reset and change some I/O and Global parameters back to my preferred settings.

Maybe we need to start installing firmware updates at gig volume? lol

Ah okay, you meant the files. Yes, they contain sysex data. You can of course create a backup of your current presets. And restore a bank you made previously. No need to restore system data, if you don't use global blocks. Just do a system reset in Utility, and adjust stuff in I/O and Global as you like. I don't know if restoring the backup is going to help you. Like you say, maybe the 'bad' settings are already in there. Also depends at what date it was created, current firmware may affect it.

Well, since I have some down time between gigs, I decided to try some stuff. I backed everything up, did a "reset system" step, loaded the stock banks from Fractal. Checked out a couple of their presets and found them pretty good.

Loaded my saved bank back in. I'm still keeping the basic tweaks I have, because I still find them necessary. In particular the ones that pertain to the bass side of things, such as putting a filter block in front of most amps to get rid of a lot of signal below 60Hz or so, and even then dialing back either the bass knob or the power amp low cutoff or both. I end up with virtually nothing defaulted, which is fine, but not what I think I'm hearing from other people.

Suggestions on what you've done to enjoy 18.03

Loaded up V18.04, bought cab pack 10, OH V3's, play loud(er) late... I've got these 40 year old JBL 4311 (alnico) studio monitors on a Carver TFM-42 just givin me eargasms...absolutly top notch!!
Sound solid like a brick shit house!

Well, since I have some down time between gigs, I decided to try some stuff. I backed everything up, did a "reset system" step, loaded the stock banks from Fractal. Checked out a couple of their presets and found them pretty good.

Loaded my saved bank back in. I'm still keeping the basic tweaks I have, because I still find them necessary. In particular the ones that pertain to the bass side of things, such as putting a filter block in front of most amps to get rid of a lot of signal below 60Hz or so, and even then dialing back either the bass knob or the power amp low cutoff or both. I end up with virtually nothing defaulted, which is fine, but not what I think I'm hearing from other people.

why would you use a filter block for that and not the cut in the cab block? seems extraneous...

Wow some good stuff you guys have added since I posted last. This reset thing...which I've never done before....utility/restore system right?

So for me it would be...update to 18.03, (I'm currently back at 17.04) update to beta 18.04, then utility/restore system.....(take note in my I/O and global for anything that I need before resetting), and this should put me where I *may* need to be? Just making sure.

On that note, what happens if my old sounds are worse. I have everything backed up. Would I just re-load my system stuff that I saved as well as FW 17.04 and any presets I need....and this will bring me back to where I am right now?

Thanks for all the discussion, advice and help everyone. :)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - I mostly redid things the way "I" like them; some are default, but most are not. I enabled low-cut on most of my amps, to loose some of the boominess, that will compete with the bassist's frequencies.

One thing I was trying last night, that I need to revisit more with fresh ears, later, was to change most of my amps to use "long-plate" tubes. This seemed, at least in my studio setting, to tighten the bass up a bit, and I found myself even turning the low-cut back off, or bumping the bass a bit, on some of my presets. I haven't tried this with the band, to know if I'm heading this way permanently, but it seemed to clear things up a bit last night.

Beleive me - I'm not complaining - this is definitely a 1st world problem. My presets sound better than ever, and I think the new tubes settings may be helping some. Check it out, and see if it helps.

I wish the guys at FAS could put a fix in on this. But I don't know if they know exactly what it is. There are a lot of people with similar issues. I decided to go back to 17.04. I thought I had it licked but something wasn't right. I'd love to explore and enjoy 18 but right now I'm staying in 17 land and enjoying it.

I wish the guys at FAS could put a fix in on this. But I don't know if they know exactly what it is. There are a lot of people with similar issues. I decided to go back to 17.04. I thought I had it licked but something wasn't right. I'd love to explore and enjoy 18 but right now I'm staying in 17 land and enjoying it.

You tried the reset thing and it didn't help at all? So far 17 land may be the best for me also. I'm not giving up though...as long as I can go back to where I am now without an issue, I'm a happy camper and don't mind experimenting. It sucks that we're in the minority in a sense...but the majority is happy and we are too as long as we stay with 17. The only thing that scares me is...future updates with these amps the way they are may not be possible for guys like us. JT, I mentioned this before and didn't try it...but what if we tone matched ourselves using the new FW? I don't care how I get there...as long as I get there and can use the new stuff. It's killing me not to be able to use the new compressor level modifier. LOL!

No one on the beta team (which is quite large btw) or here at the company has experienced this so we can't fix what isn't broke. There was an issue that was fixed in 18.04 but other than that everything is working as intended. I think some people just don't like the improved realism, and that's fine. If you look up that poll that was done recently those people represent 3% of the users. If you don't like the improved realism, stick with what works for you.

Let's take a simple poll : Does G3 (V18) has that extra AMP mojo over G2 (V17) - View Poll Results

why would you use a filter block for that and not the cut in the cab block? seems extraneous...

Because I find there is a big difference in the way the amp responds when changing the bass rolloff before the amp versus after the cab. This is one of the ways that I think the AxeFX is true to the way a tube amp works, too.

One thing I was trying last night, that I need to revisit more with fresh ears, later, was to change most of my amps to use "long-plate" tubes. .

Hmmm...not sure what you mean by this? I know there are different plate lengths in 12AX7s, for example, but where are you accessing this parameter in the AFX?

Back
Top Bottom