Suggestions on an alternative to the CLR?

dank

Inspired
Hello, all:

When I bought my Axe FX II, I bought the RCF NX 12-SMA as my monitor. I loved it. Time went by, and a number of well-respected forum members raved about the Atomic powered CLR. Next thing you know, I bought the CLR, had a custom cover made for it and sold the RCF.

I have forced myself to admit that neither sounds better than the other, except that the CLR is just too heavy to carry around. I'd love to find someone who who like to do a swap, but barring that, what other powered monitors are well recommended for use with a modeler that don't weigh a ton?

Thanks.

Dan

If it's suggestions/opinions that you want, here's mine..

Friedman ASM-12. I had the CLR and did not like it at all. I preferred the RCF MUCH more than the CLR. I found the CLR had too much of a 'spikey' tone that I just couldn't gel with or dial out. I then discovered the Friedman and bought it after 45secs of playing it. Some guys might tell you otherwise, but in my experience, the ASM sounds phenomenal. The mids are right there where they should be, and yes, it sounds very real. To me, and handful of other guys on the previous post will tell you, the Friedman ASM all the way. In general, if ever you buy any Friedman gear, you won't be disappointed.

Tom King upgraded my CLR Active Wedge to neodymium magnet drivers for $400 (the price difference between CLR and CLR NEO). This dropped the weight of the CLR Active Wedge from 46 lbs. to 32 lbs.

The Friedman ASM-12 weights 52lbs

Seems a great unit for sure, but also a darn heavy unit

The Friedman ASM-12 weights 52lbs

Seems a great unit for sure, but also a darn heavy unit

I'll second that, it IS heavy to carry around with one bizzarely placed handle..

HOWEVER, the weight is worth the carry because the sounds, the tones, and the volume that you can achieve is outstanding. Yep, I'm going on a Crazy ASM Train, giving it a plug here there and everywhere!!

Keep an eye on our FB page, we may have something to interest you this weekend ... 9.7kg (21lbs) powered light enough?

I am interested!

I have an CLR (original model) sounds great but way to heavy for gigging.

I owned a Friedman - loved the sound and the way it moved air - but again too large of a footprint and very unwieldy with a crazy handle position - useless for gigging.

I use an RCF NX-12SMA - for gigging but its the heaviest part of my rig - but at least easier to handle than the other two......

I'd love a Lightweight powered Neodymium FRFR cabinet/monitor with good handle positions.

Back
Top Bottom