Wish Suggestions Ideas and things to do with the editor.

StratPIt

Inspired
A backup and restore function for the editor itself. All relevant data such as settings, block library, templates should be included. For quick restoring or for transferring to another computer.

Display of the FW defaut values
I am aware that this is not easy to implement. But it could underline the professionalism.
In addition to the setting value of a parameter, the default value is also displayed.
Or, as in some DAWs, the distance between the set value and the default value is displayed with the help of a ring around the control.
E.g. in white

A backup and restore function for the editor itself. All relevant data such as settings, block library, templates should be included. For quick restoring or for transferring to another computer.
Any particular problem you are trying to solve? Most of this is on disk is it not?

Templates only with basic amp and cab combinations of combo amps as a starting point for beginners, of course basic head amps and cab combinations should not be missing.

Templates only with basic amp and cab combinations of combo amps as a starting point for beginners, of course basic head amps and cab combinations should not be missing.
Respectfully I’m gonna recommend you split your wishes into atomic items. Gonna be hard to track a laundry list.

As the title says, there is no problem,
Erm, generally when I wish for something I have some idea of something I wish to accomplish. If the normative “problem” in my comment threw you, substitute whatever you’d like to.

“[Underlining] the professionalism” of the product seems ambiguous to me as a business case when speaking of a very professional product.

This is a good suggestion for most software, yet it doesn't exist much -- possibly because it's a drag to maintain and be error free.
For important cases I just figure out where those files are and make my own backups (or use/make one-click utilities for it). Surely, if you have a golden collection of, say, blocks you will make sure you have them in more than one place?
If you're lucky, settings are in just one or two places and you could just backup and restore such folders. You may even be more likely to have no errors this way.

I keep my Fractal workspace on a cloud drive. All of my computers have their Axe-Edit installations pointed at the same cloud location, so they’re always backed up and in sync.

Would be fantastic if we could just use the real names, but most of them are owned trademarks and/or brands. There are legal implications there. All modeling products use suggestive names unless they have permission or licensing from the owner of the names.
Plus we'd miss out on fun puns and wordplay... only FAS delivers SOTA modeling with humor.

Fractal's software follows the best practices for the OS it's running on, so the Editor preferences are stored by default in your user preferences folder. The primary preference file is not relocatable because of the OS requirements, but all other files can be pointed wherever you want. See Edit's Settings > Preferences > Workspace for the locations.

Like others said, using a cloud backup works really well for syncing and backups for the Snapshots, Library, and Preset Templates content. Mine are all pointing into my DropBox folder, and are automagically sync'd/refreshed when I open my laptop.

Beyond that, I use a local backup system, and a separate, dedicated, cloud backup, that both run regularly and grab my preferences folder along with the other folders. It's the same process and set of tools I use for all my other apps.

If you want to manually manage your backup/restore file(s), go to the preference settings and click Show for the Global Settings. Compress the contents and drag the archive somewhere safe. If you have to restore, just uncompress it in the same folder and run Edit and it should pick up everything automatically. You'll want to do that every time you store something to the block library, and/or create a template or snapshot otherwise you'll risk losing something.

I'm very comfortable with the Edit application, and I really like the uniformity of the "Blocks" view, it just works for me better than the "real world pedalboard" view of other UIs. However, I would love to be able to see at a glance exactly which Drive/Amp/Block etc. type is on the Grid. To be able to colour-code them manually would be even better. That way I could see everything in the chain and immediately identify each Block without having to individually select them. I realise this would be Channel specific for each Scene, but would still improve my Edit workflow enormously :)

Back
Top Bottom