suggestions for getting a meaner/growlier/heavier mark IV sound?

warrenlu

I play metal, kind of a threeway between tech death + metalcore + deathcore (think all of the OG sumerian bands' first albums + fallujah, rivers of nihil & inferi). soundwise I know most of that points to 5150s, but they're too messy to me; I can never get a sound out of them that I like that also FEELS good to play. on the other hand, the mark IV (with the graphic eq, of course) feels a million times better; everything is super clear, the palm mutes are perfect. but I really want to try and find a way to add some nasty lower growliness to it, to me that'd be the most perfect sound. so what should I do? trying different tonestacks, adding the USA tonestack to a different amp, messing with the power or preamps, trying a different amp altogther, I'm open to anything

what kind of guitar and pickups? i think the pickups and setup add to the growl part of a sound.

Are you comparing your tone to an album's recorded tone? You're missing one element, they multi-track their guitars. Compare how everything sounds if you multi-track your guitars.

I am partial to the JP2C+ myself.

Are you comparing your tone to an album's recorded tone? You're missing one element, they multi-track their guitars. Compare how everything sounds if you multi-track your guitars.

This. Also, there's almost definitely some post eq and multiband compression going on to make them pop in the mix.

I am partial to the JP2C+ myself.

eh, not so much. it's more of a feel than anything, if that makes sense.

and maybe I should try to use both of them together?

hey, sorry for the late responses. thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it.

another thought that I recently had is that maybe I should try to fuse two amps together and go about it that way. which 6505 model do you think would
pair well with it? (for low gain rhythm playing)

eh, not so much. it's more of a feel than anything, if that makes sense.

and maybe I should try to use both of them together?

The one thing that most people run into with the AxeFXIII is that they'll A/B and tweak amps till they're blue in the face, but never have the same scrutiny with IRs. In my opinion, it's even more important than the amp you use.

I would first start at the IRs and even running two IRs in stereo to get a better blended tone, Dynamic for the midrange, Ribbon for the smoothness and Low end. If that doesn't get you where you want, then try swapping the amps.

edit: Also try boosting the input with an overdirve pedal. Turn the gain off and the level all the way Up

Cabs and mic's are a suggestion as well. you could do 2 of the same cabs and different mic's or different cabs different mic's. there are many way to get a meaner tone

Back
Top Bottom