Suggestions:compact FRFR cab/wedge (Acoustic)

frankyandreas

Inspired
I know this is a common topic. However I'm sure a few of you will humor me.

My application would be almost entirely acoustic. It's ALMOST irrelevant to me to find something good for IR's and amp emulation. I am rich in the guitar cabinet department. I took my first swing at Tone Matching my LR Baggs Lyric to an AT4040 (not the best mic, but it's definitely the best I've gotten the pickup to sound so far). Now that the guitar finally sounds right it's logical that I'm itching to get a proper stage monitor. I'd prefer something passive.

Money's an object, but obviously I was willing to save up for an Axe FX so ultimately I won't skimp on this cab. I just can't go full on, got bills and such . . .

Thank you.

Last edited:
I enjoy using the K10. Light, Loud (put in mic level mode if you need more volume, can tear a room in half), Functions in Wedge or Speaker mode and on a stand. Has some DSP EQ for different settings. Takes two inputs. Well built. Easy to find at any guitar center. Warranty is top notch. Even Dweezil Zappa uses them.

There are more boutique offerings out there, but they might be out of your price range. I find that using a speaker thats pretty standard and used in A LOT of clubs allows my tones to translate perfectly to the house PA.

You can probably find used around $500.

I just sold a QSC K10 a couple of months ago. It's great for live sound, but NOT FRFR. If you set your sounds using that, it won't sound the same going direct out for recordings.

i've been using an active CLR neo wedge since they came out. With my Axefx for elec guitar, acoustic gtr, lap steel, uke and mando. It all sounds fantastic. Even use it on a stick with a mixer for a small PA at times.

I just sold a QSC K10 a couple of months ago. It's great for live sound, but NOT FRFR. If you set your sounds using that, it won't sound the same going direct out for recordings.

Yes agreed. Let me preface that the OP was live use.

Nothing will beat studio FRFR monitors, but I don't feel like dragging a pair of Ns10s to my gigs. :)

for studio work I just dial it in at the session. I've used my axe fx at ocean way, the village and other high end studios. Live and recording tones are never the same.

I just need to tighten the belt. I have a power amp so I don't NEED an active cab. If it saves me a couple of hundred that makes a huge difference with, you know, food right now.
just a thought... if you don't need the power amp for anything else, sell it, put the cash towards an active clr. one less thing to carry/setup. I get the whole food on the table aspect, even tough I have students and the studio; Jan-Feb are pretty slow for me gig-wise.

I love my Matrix Passive FRFR wedges, but they are about $750 each, new. I haven't used with acoustic setup, but sound great in my electric setup,

just a thought... if you don't need the power amp for anything else, sell it, put the cash towards an active clr. one less thing to carry/setup. I get the whole food on the table aspect, even tough I have students and the studio; Jan-Feb are pretty slow for me gig-wise.
I use the power amp for my main (electric) setup. I didn't even try using the axe fx as an acoustic amp until a month ago. So I'm definitely keeping the power amp I have.

Back
Top Bottom