Stupid FC-6/FC-12 question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just speaking for myself but I had found comfort in knowing I have all these options on tap with the MFC101. But then I realize I never needed that many switches and it actually caused clutter more than anything. I've actually been minimizing my options and changes to focus on my playing and stage presence. I have really liked this changed and has brought a lot more joy and even improvement to my playing. Just my 2 cents!

I think that is a bit of an assumption. I've seen very few people on this forum ever talk about needing to independently control external devices via the MFC or FCs. I would bet the vast majority have no need.

I'm not discounting that it is a useful ability and there are definitely some that need it... But not "most"...

The majority of users that do use it for controlling external devices want the ability for that controlling to be done on scene or preset changes (based on my experiences here) and the FC + midi block does exactly that.

I only use the Axe 3 alone, so it does not effect me. I am referring those who have an Eventide H9 or a Strymon that they could send program change to what they have looped in. I totally agree with you. I don't know how many people have external devices, but those that do would love to have preset change at least. I can get everything I need out of my unit and will never add anything except maybe a sustainer and that is not midi. I am a minimalist. I just want one unit and a big Controller.

no disrespect if you're offering constructive conversation. but there are some here that only want to complain and it's tiresome. let's see exactly what the feature set will be. then you can decide if it's for you or not.

I already have a FC 12 on order because there is no other option for me. I do see some here who complains a lot and I get it. It is annoying going round and round. I generally do not respond unless I can be helpful, even if it is someone that does complain a lot. I think the Axe 3 is just fine if there were never anymore changes. I have my way of doing things, and is not like yours, and yours maybe like no one elses. Everyone does setups differently. I prefer a large format that I only have to press on switch for what I need any given song. Granted some songs that could still be true with the FC12. I like to set my controller to 8 scenes, 4 presets, and 4 stomps and play all night on just those four presets. I will have to adjust now and create more presets to be able to handle just pressing one button per change. I will make it work, but if a bigger board ever becomes available, I will sell my FC12. I don't want to daisy chain or add more cables and a wall wart. Cliff reads these post to see what users want. He must be pretty smart, because he has the best unit on the planet. Some people have needs and some will always complain. The only thing that I have ever had an issue with is foot controller size. I am not a complainer, I just have a need. The other issue I have with the forum is those who disrespect those who have a different opinion. I am not referring to you. If I can't be helpful with someone, I will not respond. If everyone would treat forum member like band members, things would be better

For any given feature it doesn't matter if the majority of users need it or not, it's whether or not a critical mass of people need it or not. I'm pretty sure there is a critical mass of people that need the ability to control outboard gear via MIDI.
Yes but note that I specifically said "independent control"...

In any case, I agree and its coming :)

I’m wondering about the powering issue if you want to daisy chain two FC’s. Is it a watts issue and the axe3 doesn’t have the capacity, or is it possible to make a custom cable to pass power onto the second pedal? Or if nothing else maybe an external power supply in the rack case and custom cable?

I’m wondering about the powering issue if you want to daisy chain two FC’s. Is it a watts issue and the axe3 doesn’t have the capacity, or is it possible to make a custom cable to pass power onto the second pedal? Or if nothing else maybe an external power supply in the rack case and custom cable?
I would guess it's a current issue...

There is a fundamental misunderstanding by some people in what the controllers are and that the midi information is configurable from the axels III itself, you can program whatever you want to be controlled, axefx III, external fx unit, the fc is the remote.

Cheers
Anthony

Since the reveal function and double switching and long pressing and all that never worked for me when I had to switch perfectly in time while playing abd since I prefered to have as many switches as possible is at least the switching speed of the MFC101 with a midi cable even as fast as before with a cat5 cable?

It has been stated before that the Axe puts out current for it's controller and using higher current controllers will put your unit the shop, not covered by warranty. So you know running two controllers would cause problems. This is not a problem that can fixed in a firmware. It might be the reason that we are only offered just 12 switches instead of the 21. They could at least put the power supply in the controller like Behringer does. Everyone hates wall warts, yet companies keep disappointing us and still use them. I am also sure that for the Axe to put out more amps was a cost effective thing not to do it. Let's hope a regular cable will be offered instead of a wall wart.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding by some people in what the controllers are and that the midi information is configurable from the axels III itself, you can program whatever you want to be controlled, axefx III, external fx unit, the fc is the remote.

Cheers
Anthony

I mean another thing
If I want to go out with a Kemper, it's impossibile to control it by a FC6/12.
No way to do it.
Before, with MFC it was possibile, so with ONLY one Fractal controller it was possible to do other things.

Now, for me and for other customers like me, it is necessary to have two controller, one for the Kemper and a second one for the Axe III, or, buy a midi generic midi controller for both.
Thinking about the price of Kpa remote + FC12 it is possible to buy top level products, like a Mastermind, which is the best on the market.

if the FC12 had the midi module, I would have bought it definitely (because it is more convenient to be able to program it from AxeIII Edit), and used as the only pedal board for both my systems.
It's a step back, in my opinion since the MFC (dated product) already had this plus.

And, please, stop with the answers "the MFC is still on the market, then buy that", because it does not naturally control Ax III, which was the real goal:

check AxeIII natively and midi any other device!

my 2 cents

I mean another thing
No way to do it.
Before, with MFC it was possibile, so with ONLY one Fractal controller it was possible to do other things.

Now, for me and for other customers like me, it is necessary to have two controller, one for the Kemper and a second one for the Axe III, or, buy a midi generic midi controller for both.
Thinking about the price of Kpa remote + FC12 it is possible to buy top level products, like a Mastermind, which is the best on the market.

if the FC12 had the midi module, I would have bought it definitely (because it is more convenient to be able to program it from AxeIII Edit), and used as the only pedal board for both my systems.
It's a step back, in my opinion since the MFC (dated product) already had this plus.

And, please, stop with the answers "the MFC is still on the market, then buy that", because it does not naturally control Ax III, which was the real goal:

my 2 cents

Many have asked for that and that is something that could fixed in a firmware update I would think not unless there is no midi out on the controller.

firmware updates are useless in this sense.
The midi on the FC pedalboards is missing!

USB can transmit midi to newer USB devices. Midi cables are only kept for daisy chaining. All my keyboards are USB and midi, and the midi part will work with or without midi cables. USB will not work on old units that does not support USB thru midi. That would be the only need to have a USB on that unit. Also Axe edit changes everything in the Axe by midi by way of USB. With the USB on the FC-12 you can have midi with just a firmware upgrade I would think. I am sure your Kemper works off USB and transmits midi. You can't daisy chain with USB at this point, not that I am aware of. Running multiple USB midi units at one time would require a computer. That is the reason the midi cables still exist.

Last edited:
USB can transmit midi to newer USB devices. Midi cables are going out. It is only used with older gear. All my keyboards are USB and midi, and the midi part will work with or without midi cables. USB will not work on old units that does not support USB thru midi. That would be the only need to have a USB on that unit. Also Axe edit changes everything in the Axe by midi by way of USB. With the USB on the FC-12 you can have midi with just a firmware upgrade I would think. I am sure your Kemper works off USB and transmits midi.

I don't think I really understand what you mean.
Are saying that, now, I could control via usb cable my Kemper from an FC12?

How?

I don't think I really understand what you mean.
Are saying that, now, I could control via usb cable my Kemper from an FC12?

How?

The AXE and Kemper sends midi down USB. That is how their editing software works. The FC-12 has a midi port that may or may not support midi, but I think it is possible thru firmware. That is up to Cliff. Why else would the USB be there on a Controller. It really boils down to what the USB function is used for on the Controller and if it is midi supported, will the firmware support it now or later. No one but
Cliff and the engineers know at this point I would think. It is just a waiting game now.

Last edited:
The AXE and Kemper sends midi down USB. That is how their editing software works. The FC-12 has a midi port that may or may not support midi, but I think it is possible thru firmware. That is up to Cliff. Why else would the USB be there on a Controller. It really boils down to what the USB function is used for on the Controller and if it is midi supported, will the firmware support it now or later. No one but
Cliff and the engineers know at this point I would think. It is just a waiting game now.

Why else? Maybe because it allows to assign functions from Axe III Edit to FC?
Secondary i don’t need the Kemper sens midi via usb, but Fc to send it. And FC doesn’t has a “brain” like the MFC did.

I mean another thing
No way to do it.

my 2 cents
The MFC-101 still works with both. It IS a generic midi controller...

There is NO midi port on the FCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom