Studio One or Reaper or Pro Tools?

So does the current version of Pro Tools crash on you or does it not crash? That was one of the reasons why I originally abandoned it, as I alluded to above.

I really don't care who is ripping off whom. I care about does the DAW crash and what people like about it or what they don't like.

Pro Tools is sensitive. My studio computer doesn't even have printer drivers installed on it in case they mess with PT. If you're able to have a computer in some sort of isolated environment (like me!) then it's bullet-proof.

However I acknowledge that one kink in the armour is all it takes to make Pro Tools horrid :p

I have used Pro Tools for years and still have it installed but have recently switched to Studio One. Pro Tools is great but with the recent subscription model Avid has implemented, I haven't looked back.

I used Cubase for years, and then switched to Reaper. It is kind of weird at first, but once you get used to it, it can pretty much do anything. I have never felt limited by the MIDI editor either, which is usually the biggest complaint.

Studio One does look interesting, especially since it is made by Ex-Cubase programmers, but I have never had a reason to check it out since Reaper is working for me.

To me, I think the biggest difference is that Reaper comes pretty bare. It is a great system, but it is best when you bring your own VSTs to use with it. Other programs like Studio One usually come with a pretty good suite of programs to work with, such as effects, EQs, samplers, etc....

Hard to beat Reaper at $60 for personal use, but ultimately they all get the job done. Much of it is personal preference. Reaper's bundled effects are surprisingly good, but maybe not as polished as many third party plugins out there. If you've already got some great plugins you like, Reaper is a great value. Core functionality has been rock solid for me. Used to use Cakewalk then Sonar and both would crash at times. Never had any issues with Reaper so far. It's very customizable as well and the interface supports skins too. You can download user skins and layouts that mimic other DAWs. It's pretty cool.

With Reaper, I found that it's necessary to be cautious with 3rd party plug-ins (particularly multiple instances of the same 3rd party effect).

Other than that, I have learned to like it and use it effectively for my limited needs.

Studio One, of the DAW's I've tried it seems to have a better work flow. I just do basic recording but it has a lot of powerful features when I get serious about using/learning them.

Pro Tools is sensitive. My studio computer doesn't even have printer drivers installed on it in case they mess with PT. If you're able to have a computer in some sort of isolated environment (like me!) then it's bullet-proof.

However I acknowledge that one kink in the armour is all it takes to make Pro Tools horrid :p
That's what I feared. Considering my wife needs to print stuff out on the computer, as well as my accountant makes me hard copy receipts,, not having printer or scanner drivers would definitely be a bit of a non-starter for me. That is kind of what sparked my exodus from PT years ago.

Another vote for Studio One...same reason as NeoSound...the workflow is very easy for me to wrap my brain around.

Back
Top Bottom