Studio monitors - how important is de-coupling of speakers from their pedastals?

BillyZeppa

Power User
So i have a pair of A7s that are situated on top of a pair of larger old 'Hed' speakers ( the same ones that were in the 'Three's Company' living room).
The 'Hed' speakers are, in turn, on a hard wood covered cement floor. Should i bother considering putting some sort of isolation between the A7s and the hed speakers they are on? How much diffeence does this really make? If i should consider it, what do you recommend?... Commercial product? Home grown solution? :geek

I don't find decoupling changes the tone any, just reduces your rattles. Try a piece of foam or a folded pillow case under them to test before you buy.

You can get some professional audio foam which is cut into a nice shape to hold your speakers at the right angle; this also helps with absorbing vibrations and unwanted resonating frequencies. I'm not sure if it's a specific type of foam, or just something dense enough to hold the speaker, but also light enough to cushion it at the right amount.

Something like these:
Auralex MoPADs Studio Monitor Foam Stands

Again, if you can get your hands on some cheaper foam to cut to size, it won't hurt to try.

I cut up a solid sheet of maple and attached acoustic foam underneath. Worked fine. Ended up with enough for a cab decoupler and a pair of 5" monitors. All materials and figuring in a modest wage for my time (of which little was spent), I came out at less than the cost of one of those Auralex GRAMMA things.

I cut up a bunch of sham-wows and found they worked pretty good for that purpose.

I did not notice a tonal change though, just a reduction in the K-Rok's wanting to go for a stroll on their own.

Back
Top Bottom