Studio monitor best options

KRK K-Rok's can be had for $150-200/pr on Ebay used.

Great speakers that translate well to any environment.

Find yourself a used Crown D-50/75 used for around $100 or GTDAudio M-2500 for about $100 new to power the monitors and you are golden.

Plow those saved dollars into different guitars or strings or ir's or a retirement plan.

KRK have always hyped the lows & highs on their monitors, even the VXT model. Same goes for Adam. Yam's HS series not nearly as hyped, but Equator is still a significant improvement. What you hear is what you get.

I've got some HS80M's and I still love them. Not the best for casual music listening in my opinion because they show off a lot of the warts in the source (MP3's sound like MP3's in them), but for hearing everything in a mix I couldn't find anything that beat them at the same price. With that said I didn't have access to every monitor ever made.

The Tannoy reveals 8 ' woofer
I use these -- quite like them. Had Rokit's prior to these and find patches built against the Reveals translate better to my loud FRFR setup. You just have to watch the bass when building on near fields. The tendency is over-compensate for the smaller driver with too much bass in the patch.

Another Dynaudio user here. I use the BM6As (Mark 1… the Mark 2s sound significantly different). They have a very slight dip in the mids near the crossover point, but not enough to negatively affect mixing once you're attuned to it, and they reveal an incredible amount of detail in the high end without being fatiguing. I previously used the BM5As (also Mk1, though I've heard they did a much better job with the Mk2 of these than with the BM6A); these would be a good alternative if you're on a budget, but the BM6As Mk1 is quite a bit better.

Presonus Sceptre S8. Powerful, transparent, accurate. Only had them a few months, but loving them so far.

Last edited:
What should someone plan to spend for a good entry level powered pair of monitors?

And then how about a mid grade pair?

Thanks.

What should someone plan to spend for a good entry level powered pair of monitors?

And then how about a mid grade pair?

Thanks.

This is a very rough estimate, but I'd divide them at about:

Entry: $200-500
Mid-level to semi-pro: $500-5000
Pro: Sky is the limit... literally tens of thousands of $$$ are common

This is a worthwhile place to spend whatever you can afford. The quality of your monitors affect everything you do. On the other hand, good cost/performance can be had. My speakers would be in that mid-point price level, but I have found them used by some major players. If you get a good mix that translates, that's the money.

I recently got a pair of used Yamaha HS80s and they are kick-ass. A very flat response for the money.

Back
Top Bottom