Studio Mixing with IEM Buds

For the time being, that's what I'm thinking.

I ordered a set of Aurisonics Eva from eBay since they are just a little over $100.
It's a small investment to see if this is even a viable option for me to make use of my travel time.

Have you had a chance to try them out yet?

Also, you can always use the pink noise mixing method to get a decent mix. If you don't know what that is, do a YouTube search for some examples. You use pink noise as a reference, so as long as whatever you listen through has decent frequency range, even if it's not flat, you can still get a decent quick mix. You can also use the method for EQ. I usually use a graphic EQ and just move each band to see how it compares to the pink noise. Also, compare mixes you like to the pink noise, so you can get an idea of how flat the IEM are.

....I always remember this from my 90's recording studio sessions. Mix down a track...run it out to my car, listen on those speakers...and you'd know right away if it sounded right because you've listened to so much music on that system. Everyone would say - "if I could only mix in my car". Same premise I guess.

Was reading somewhere about some famous-type-rich-fella who mixed using cheap apple earbuds - his thinking was "hey, most everyone will be listening though these things anyway.." ..kinda makes a tiny-bit of sense, I suppose.

As expensive as these high-end IEMs can get, hoping the Aurisonics work out for you.

Was reading somewhere about some famous-type-rich-fella who mixed using cheap apple earbuds - his thinking was "hey, most everyone will be listening though these things anyway.." ..kinda makes a tiny-bit of sense, I suppose.

As expensive as these high-end IEMs can get, hoping the Aurisonics work out for you.

I’ve been in a lot of studio that have some cheap consumer speakers on the console along with some high end stuff. Reason being you can easily switch to different speakers and see how things will sound. I knew a guy who did video game sound design and he did the same thing, checking a mix on laptop speakers, since a lot of people would be hearing it that way.

When I used to do what they now call EDM, we used to take a mix out and listen to in the car, and through a club PA system. Had great monitors but people weren’t going to be listening at home with a reference stereo system most likely.

I think the little NS10 monitors are still a studio stable for a lot of production as they do a good job representing the typical small speaker setup people might have at home, on TV, etc

I’ve been in a lot of studio that have some cheap consumer speakers on the console along with some high end stuff. Reason being you can easily switch to different speakers and see how things will sound. I knew a guy who did video game sound design and he did the same thing, checking a mix on laptop speakers, since a lot of people would be hearing it that way.

When I used to do what they now call EDM, we used to take a mix out and listen to in the car, and through a club PA system. Had great monitors but people weren’t going to be listening at home with a reference stereo system most likely.

I think the little NS10 monitors are still a studio stable for a lot of production as they do a good job representing the typical small speaker setup people might have at home, on TV, etc

I have a pair of mid priced 6x9 car speakers in speaker boxes on the floor on each side of my desk. I know it's not the same as listening in a car but I couldn't fit my Dodge Challenger in my music room :p

I've got some NS10s just for this purpose. They point out flaws in the mix pretty well.
I remember recording with Anthony Resta about 10 years ago and he had some cheap computer speakers that he would flip to every once in a while...just to hear what the majority of listeners would be listening on.

I got the Aurisonics and have to send them back. They were open box/used. The box looked like it had been opened and closed no less than 30 times. And all the pieces were 'kind' of in the right place inside the box. No plastic on anything. The ear gels just free floating in the box.
Hello ebay - these are going back.

So still looking for a set of 'something'.

Back
Top Bottom