Struggling with dynamic and punchy cleans

Try the rear input. Maybe it has something to do with the secret sauce and it's soft clipping that you may not care for. Just a shot in dark to see if it helps.

Try the rear input. Maybe it has something to do with the secret sauce and it's soft clipping that you may not care for. Just a shot in dark to see if it helps.
The "secret sauce" is just noise reduction.

When one plays at bedroom levels he always needs compression, every audio track that is thought to be listened to at low volume is compressed a lot and little amps that are for bedroom use compress too. Play a 100w amp that is thought for stage use in your bedroom and then you see how stage gear compresses...not much at all.
Long story short, turn up that compression knobs, there are enough in there and enough people already told you to do.

Cliff, thanks for responding to this thread. It really is unusual to see the creator and owner getting personally involved. I really respect how much you care about making your products better and really do love your products.

I've made a number of presets that don't breakup, but still don't have the same bounce or headroom. Can you post your tone match preset so I can see if it has what I am looking for?

Have you tried messing with the Proximity setting + null mic in the Cab Block? For me it really adds another level of depth and punch to clean tones.

Multi-band compression as last element in the signal chain.

One of the tricks I've tried for making the sound "pop out" more, to make a sound more meaty and less thin, more punch, or what have you... is to use a Multiband Comp as the last element in the chain. It helps a lot for clean sounds. To me, this emulates the sort of thing that happens in a recording/mastering process, but you can take advantage of it live. I've heard a lot of folks diss the use of compression, or recording engineers complain about how everything these days is red-lined to be loud with minimal dynamic range... but I think many people prefer that sound when you do an A/B comparison of the tone with and without the compression. You can make the effect stronger by turning up the level of each of the three frequency ranges. Also, for recordings where you listen to it mostly in a car, that compressed sound is actually easier to listen to that say a good classical recording with huge dynamic range, where you have to keep adjusting the volume for different sections of music.

Edit: Maybe people hesitate to post clips of sounds because they worry about being judged on the quality of their playing or the overall sound. This crowd does get defensive about the product and many people with feel like they are walking up to a firing squad to offer up clips after they presented a judgment about the product's shortcomings. But anyone who is saying something they want to be improved about the sound of a product should absolutely offer up a sound clip or else it's just an unsubstantiated complaint.

Last edited:
Although I expected it, I wish my questions were answered with the sound clips I posted. I know they weren't clean at all, but I am trying to understand what the OP means by headroom and punch. Meh.

Yeah I feel you, I would like to hear him post some clips of him using the Kemper with the preset he likes and then the axe II with the ones he is trying to get similiar aand of course share the preset's so others can tweak them. That to me would resolve it one way or another...

Edit: Maybe people hesitate to post clips of sounds because they worry about being judged on the quality of their playing or the overall sound. This crowd does get defensive about the product and many people with feel like they are walking up to a firing squad to offer up clips after they presented a judgment about the product's shortcomings. But anyone who is saying something they want to be improved about the sound of a product should absolutely offer up a sound clip or else it's just an unsubstantiated complaint.

It didn't even have to be a clip of the OP playing, just a clip of what he describes as "dynamic and punchy" so that we're all not here banging our heads against the wall for no reason. Regardless, I don't think we'll get any clips.

ok, here's another set of clips.

the GOAL here isn't to give the OP the tone he's looking for. it's to help DEFINE what is closer, punchier, headroom-ier, whatever! so this is 1 riff played 3 times. which one of these is punchier and/or has more headroom and/or is closer to what the OP is seeking? please don't dismiss this again with a simple "nope that's not it."

https://soundcloud.com/katsukurimedia/dynamics-2

and for those having trouble with making clean amps clean, this is the Recto Red Modern amp with a clean tone. surely a Fender style amp can be made clean much more easily.

https://soundcloud.com/katsukurimedia/recto-red-mdrn-clean

Last edited:

I would agree this is pretty punchy and dynamic with a little bit more dirt. I'm betting in the room the dynamics and punch are much more apparent.

I tried recording a few quick examples but did not feel they captured the difference I feel in the room. Easiest way to understand what I'm trying to convey is to play a clean/ish amp like in the video then duplicate that feeling on the Axe or KPA. For dirtier tones either unit seems to get really close. But for the really clean stuff I'm finding the KPA is closer. Although I created a new patch on the Axe that is getting closer. Maybe I will try a tone match next and see if that brings me closer. Adding compression definitely flattened the tone as expected, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for.

I suppose what's sticking in my craw is the claim by the OP that the Kemper is able to reproduce that sound without having to resort to using that.

no right or wrong here - I've never seen a Kemper up close, but could it have fewer options? Thus there is less to deal with? There are so many options in the Axe, I sometimes do pity the folks who are searching for that one, specific sound that just isn't available with the turn of the big dial. With so many ways to alter the sound of the Axe, I don't doubt for a second that whatever sound you want is there, however, it could be a matter of quite a bit of time to find out what the magic setting is that you're looking for (but don't know what the name is yet).

Perhaps the kemper is taking some of those options away from you/making those decisions for you and it just happens to be in a manner in which you like.

Good luck. These make for really interesting and educational discussions as long as the conversations stay calm :)

I would agree this is pretty punchy and dynamic with a little bit more dirt. I'm betting in the room the dynamics and punch are much more apparent.

I tried recording a few quick examples but did not feel they captured the difference I feel in the room. Easiest way to understand what I'm trying to convey is to play a clean/ish amp like in the video then duplicate that feeling on the Axe or KPA. For dirtier tones either unit seems to get really close. But for the really clean stuff I'm finding the KPA is closer. Although I created a new patch on the Axe that is getting closer. Maybe I will try a tone match next and see if that brings me closer. Adding compression definitely flattened the tone as expected, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Try one of the Wreck models. If it's too gainy, lower the guitar volume a little. These amps are super dynamic

I also find the Super reverb to be incredibly dynamic and true to the original.

For me personally, I don't get the realism I'm looking for with FRFR. Try running through the loop of one of your tube amps...

Back
Top Bottom