Struggling user - I can't get anywhere close to my prophecy's gain and sustain, please help.

I wonder if this could possibly be a plant, like trying to sow doubt about the Axe. The way some other posts have been. But instead of comparing to the usual suspects, you compare the Axe to something else. Hopefully I’m just being cynical.

I spent years with the Axe trying it out a lot before starting to use it live and still use real amps and competing products.

I've owned just about every preamp/modeler available Including the Prophesy, and the Axe-FX III has no problem out gaining it. I made presets for the Rocktron units for years and even had my presets factory installed on the "online" preamp versions.

First let's talk about the type of gain you are hearing/feeling. the Prophesy makes use of a pre-EQ to push or clean up the amp section. this one little thing completely changes the nature of the distortion. Rocktron presets sometimes used a boost at around 1khz by several db. my first suggestion is to go into the Prophesy and take a look at the pre-EQ and write down what they are boosting and cutting, then set up an eq first thing in the chain on the AXE-FX III. next I would try the Marshall amp variants and the Friedmans to start with. classic Rocktron tones can be had this way.

I've owned just about every preamp/modeler available Including the Prophesy, and the Axe-FX III has no problem out gaining it. I made presets for the Rocktron units for years and even had my presets factory installed on the "online" preamp versions.

First let's talk about the type of gain you are hearing/feeling. the Prophesy makes use of a pre-EQ to push or clean up the amp section. this one little thing completely changes the nature of the distortion. Rocktron presets sometimes used a boost at around 1khz by several db. my first suggestion is to go into the Prophesy and take a look at the pre-EQ and write down what they are boosting and cutting, then set up an eq first thing in the chain on the AXE-FX III. next I would try the Marshall amp variants and the Friedmans to start with. classic Rocktron tones can be had this way.

I know you didn't mean it quite so literally but, a parametric EQ boost at 1k isn't going to COMPLETELY change the nature of the distortion. If anything a drive pedal like a TS is changing the nature of the distortion through its clipping diodes. An EQ is just an EQ. Not saying either approach is better than the other though, I like both.

I already said to the guy try a Friedman, TS9 or SD1 model as a boost all the right controls, and he said he got a "blues overdrive" sound and not a high gain sound.

So either like some people are saying now this was a troll... Or there is something actually wrong with how he was/is setting up his rig. As in not a matter of using an EQ over a TS9 or SD1. That will not make a "blues overdrive" turn into high gain.

...a parametric EQ boost at 1k isn't going to COMPLETELY change the nature of the distortion...An EQ is just an EQ.
I'm not sure what "completely change" means, but input EQ will change the nature of the distortion. When you emphasize certain frequencies over other frequencies, those frequencies will distort before the other frequencies. You'll get a different sound and feel that goes beyond simple EQ.

I'm not sure what "completely change" means, but input EQ will change the nature of the distortion. When you emphasize certain frequencies over other frequencies, those frequencies will distort before the other frequencies. You'll get a different sound and feel that goes beyond simple EQ.
I just want to make it clear that using an EQ over an SD1 or TS9 isn't going to fix the problem OP has described.

The "classic" use of a TS9 for high gain tones is all about pre-EQ and level, so I'm not sure I agree with you.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. The TS9 and SD1 both do that, I recommended he try it in front of friedmans, he did, then he said he got a blues overdrive sound and not a high gain sound.

I told him try a Friedman, SD1 or TS9 with standard settings, (to easily mimic what the EQ in the Rocktron would be doing) try with gain on the amp model at half, then put it at 10.

Back
Top Bottom