Struggling user - I can't get anywhere close to my prophecy's gain and sustain, please help.

I'm a gain whore as well, and use the HBE... using AxeEdit III>Amp Block>Preamp Tab> turn on the Input Boost switch... use whatever type of boost sounds best to you... gain for days....

Last edited:
Maybe using the compressor block or using the compressor in the dynamics page in the amp block would solve the problem? From what i can hear in that video of the Rocktron, it sounds very compressed. A compressor will also help with sustain.
This was my guess. He's talking about pinch harmonics and sustain. Sounds to me like his Prophesy patch has a lot of compression.

Preset #375: Mark Day's Recto Cygnus / Scene 2: Rhythm Dirt

If that doesn't have super gain/sustain on your end, something has to be wrong

I can't help but wonder. Someone uses a Prophecy for 15 years. Wouldn't your first attempt at an upgrade be the actual stuff made by Rocktron / ISP? My first comment was going to be if you like Rocktron just get a Rocktron... The ISP Theta Pro units look totally usable sound wise. Cool option for people who may suffer from option paralysis from units with 100+ amp models.

Trevor, if you're still following this thread, you can boost gain in multiple places within in the amp block aside from adjusting levels in the "ideal" tab. There's the gain enhancing compressor in the dynamics section, the input multi-optioned boost in the pre-amp tab, and other tricks such as adjusting the variac in the power supply section. Start with an amp type capable of serious distortion and then you can pile as many as four drive blocks in series -- heaven help your ears! -- likewise up to four compressors in series, and even add another amp block to the H-bomb of gain you've created.

I always feel goofy when this happens...

Like did I just try to "help" a bot or something?

Haha! :)

Seems like there is a "struggle-fest/new to Fractal/presets sound like garbage/can't get a tone I like" thread every other week
or so. Definitely in the once a month territory.

I must be dumb or a simpleton, because I can't get a tone I don't like. Probably need to start a thread about it. :)

tumbleweed-crickets-chirping.gif

Haha! :)

Seems like there is a "struggle-fest/new to Fractal/presets sound like garbage/can't get a tone I like" thread every other week
or so. Definitely in the once a month territory.

I must be dumb or a simpleton, because I can't get a tone I don't like. Probably need to start a thread about it. :)
Add me to your simpleton club!

On another note, I remember playing a POD I think, a long time ~15 years ago, for about 5-6 months at a stretch. When I went back to Marshall tube amps, I sounded like shit, I could not generate power when playing, sounded sterile and I found it very difficult to get the amp to compress etc. My technique was shot, I was just used to so much gain that any technique made the same sound.

Those early digital units felt nothing like an amp and did not respond to playing dynamics. I don’t know about the Prophecy, but maybe something similar and OP needs to re-train his hands for a bit.

Curious? Is the OP still here? Just sayin! The amount of suggestions and ideas is crazy good. So,..............? Whats up?
Maybe he just took Sunday off. I'd give it a couple of days before concluding that he ghosted.

On another note, I remember playing a POD I think, a long time ~15 years ago, for about 5-6 months at a stretch. When I went back to Marshall tube amps, I sounded like shit, I could not generate power when playing, sounded sterile and I found it very difficult to get the amp to compress etc. My technique was shot, I was just used to so much gain that any technique made the same sound.

Those early digital units felt nothing like an amp and did not respond to playing dynamics. I don’t know about the Prophecy, but maybe something similar and OP needs to re-train his hands for a bit.
All those units were very compressed. Mine was a GSP1101. Sounded halfway decent. The 5150 model even sounded damn near identical AB/d to a real one, but that compression. Absolutely still there. Even the ones that sounded good would have major compression happening.

You noticed too how he said he doesn't like having to hit strings hard. That is absolutely the result of playing overly compressed modelers. I played that GSP1101 5150 model for like 5 years and I had to play better when getting the Axe II.

Hi everyone. I used to use The Rocktron Prophesy and a TC Electronics G-Force before I went all Fractal in 2009….No looking back….. I have 2 of them on a shelf in my garage… 1 is Made in the USA and has a Pre-Amp Tube Soldered to the PC Board…. Never opened up the other one.
Every iteration of AXE-FX I’ve had always had plenty of gain…. Like Chris said it could be that he’s using the Cab and Power Amp and he’s missing out on all the True Modeling greatness…
I tried that in 2009 for a while and then switched to FRFR… much better IMO…

Back
Top Bottom