Stroll Down Guitar Processing Memory Lane

Korg G3
Digitech RP12
Behringer VAmp Pro
Line6 X3 Live
AxeFX Ultra (with a Digitech RP55 as a live backup, never needed, and now used by my son!)
AX8

I went all valve for a lot of years, due to peer pressure - still have my Laney VH100R, but it hasn't been turned on except when I'm trying to sell it! I've always been a digital guy though....

Last edited:
Roland GP-8
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the granddaddy of modeling, the original Line 6 AxSys 212
View attachment 36859
I upgraded to the new chip that made it an Ax2 212. They sent me a sticker that covered the old green panel. I gigged with that monstrosity for several years.
Line 6 XT Live
Line 6 X3 Live
AxeFx II/MFC 101 (just sold)
AX8

The best part is that my tube snob friend that owns Mesa's, Marshalls, Hughes & Kettner, Fender, Splawn, etc... is now in love with the AX8. Life is so good... Thanks FAS and Merry Christmas!

I have had some great amps over the years. Including the Axsys 212. I gigged with that amp for years. The bass player in the band I was in worked in a high end cabinet shop. He built a custom cabinet for me. It was a ground breaking product in 1996. I bought mine from MF before it was even released.

Peavey Bandit
Mesa Boogie MK1
Cannon 3 channel amp (built by a guy who was the amp tech for Heart)
70s Fender Twin
Axsys212/AX2
Pod 1
Flextone II
Pod Floorboard (live? Not sure of the model]
Bass Pod
Pod 2
Vetta 212
HD500
FAS AXII
AX8

I know there is a lot that I'm forgetting, especially amps.

Peavey Deuce
Acoustic GT100/ Marshall 4x12
Alesis Quadraverb
Rocktron Intellifex
Zoom 9001
H&K AS64
Marshall 6101 LE
H&K Access/ Engl Tube Poweramp
Boogie Thiele Cabs
Fender ´69 Vibrolux
Axe-FX Ultra
Axe-FX II
AX8

Korg A5 (in the early 1990s)
Tube pre and power amps with tons of rack gear
Digitech GNX3
Avid Eleven Rack
Fractal AX8

Behringer V AMP 1 - 2
Johnson J-Station
Line 6 POD 1.0
Line 6 POD 2.0 w/floor controller
Line 6 POD XT Live
Vox Tonelab LE

OK so I'm now in the FAS world with my new AX8 and happy as can b, its a very granular editable peddle so granular that I'm reflecting on all of my past units and how the science has come to mature,
Here is my GP history...
*Rolland GP-8
*Rolland GR-700 w/GK2
*Zoom 9030
*DigiTech GNX-3
*Korg PX5D
*DigiTech RP1000
*Zoom 99.2tt
*Zoom G5 Stomp box

Feel free to to post your's, one of my all time fav was the Zoom 9030 it was a work horse got me through s-loads of gigs in the 80's...
Merry Christmas!

Wow, thinking about this brings back a lot of memories, and some pain!
* DigiTech GSP 5
* Peavey Profex II
* Johnson J Station
* Line 6 POD 2.0
* Line 6 POD XT Live
* Line 6 POD HD 500
* Avid Eleven Rack
And now the AX8!

Digitech RP-1
Line6 Pod
Line6 Pod XT Pro
11Rack
Axe fx XL II+

I almost forgot about the RP1 I used way back in 92-93

Gallien-Krueger 100MPL
Roland GP-100
Rocktron Voodu Valve
Axe-Fx Ultra
Axe-Fx II (Mk I, XL+)
AX8

Last edited:
H&K - ZenAmp. Live
Zoom - G9.2TT. Used Live
Vox - Tonelab LE, Used Live
Digitech - GSP1101- Used Live with Laney VH100R in 4CM with Midi. Best set up out of the lot.
Avid - Eleven Rack - Studio only
Zoom - G3 - Studio only
Line 6 - Pod HD Bean - Studio only
AX8 - Live & Studio.

More than I can remember, but the highlights (for their era) were:
- Korg A2
- Roland GP-100
- Axe-FX of course

And some lemons were:
- Roland GP-16
- Digitech DSP-21
- ADA MP2

Reactions: Rex
Yamaha FX-500...

Yes! My first multiFX. Not really a guitar processor; the tone was all fizz. Still, it was distorted and delayed and that made me a rockstar. When I wasn’t using it in front of whatever Peavey combo was sitting around, it was the sole piece in my recording effects chain. It did teach me to edit from the front panel. Those skills are still useful.

Geez, I donno if I can remember them all.
Fender Stage 185 n some pedals.
Boss ME8
3 POD's XT live, HD500 I forget the one in between.
Axe Standard
Axe II
AX8
Simplicity of the AX8 won out over the II just for lugging around.
The sound quality is all there.
I can’t imagine anything better, but I guess we'll see

My first guitar processor was a Korg X-911 I bought new in 1980 ( check out http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/x911.php). Somewhere I probably have a cassette tape of me messing around with it. It was fun but I never gigged with it or used it for serious recording as the tracking was touchy. Those days my serious rig was a silver faced Twin Reverb and a few assorted pedals.

Many years (decades) latter I bought a used Boss GT-Pro and played around with it at home a bit before deciding I didn't like it and sold it. It was still nothing but tube amps and stomp boxes for anything I cared about.

Next was a (used) Roland GR1. I still have it and it gets drug out occasionally for session work. The horn patch can actually be convincing in a mix (esp if there isn't a budget for a real horn player), but it has never been out of the studio and I doubt I'd ever try to gig with it.

Much more recently I bought a Fishman triple Play and dabbled with soft syths. But synth's aren't really my thing, so it rarely gets used.

It wasn't until last March that I finally bought an AX8. The amazing sound of my Strymon pedals convinced me modeling had finally become good enough that I didn't need to haul around large tube amps anymore. Since then my tube amps have sat unused, as have my collection of stomp boxes. I bought the AX8 to make gigs easier, but I find myself using it for studio work, practice, teaching, and well, anytime I need a guitar amp. Thanks Fractal!!!!

Back
Top Bottom