Stroll Down Guitar Processing Memory Lane

I started with tube amps back in the BM days (before modelers, not that other thing you were thinking).

Started in modelers with a Zoom then graduated to a Peavey ProFex. Then I got a Rocktron VooDoo Valve. Then a DigiTech 2112. Somewhere along the trail I picked up an ART X15. Then I got the kidney bean POD, then a Bass POD, then a Pod Pro, and then a POD XT. Then I took a huge chance on something called a Fractal Ultra. Then I got a Fractal XL and then an AX8. Fractal was my Beano moment.

Roland GP-8 + BC10 (I think)
Roland GR-55
Marshall JMP1 + Marshall 8080 + GP-8
Marshall 60th Anniversary Combo
Triaxis + Mesa 20/20 + GP-8
Roland GT-8 (With various Marshall Amps)
Marshall JVM410H
Mesa RA-100
Mesa 2/25 Express
FAS AX8

PREFACE: Sometimes I get on here late and babble a bit. Usually it means I had some not so fun dreams from this jungle I used to frequent years back...Over 45 years ago...Still comes back and visits me sometimes...So I just get up.

Ok....Had a Boss GX700 (which I still have to this day). Use to use that with my on stage MusicMan 112RD50...Sounded great IMHO. Actually don't remember how I hooked it all up...long time ago. It was one of the first OK Modelers with FX, midi, etc In MHO of course. Came out about the same time as that cool looking single rack Digitech, the one with a tube I think.It was all Chrome looking. Anyway then to a Boss GT10....Then miracles of miracles on the GT forums these guys came talking about this axefx thing.

My first multi-FX was the Boss GX-700. Still have it, will never part from it. It's basic, but easy to use and it has some awesome sounds in them. In addition to that I also used a Line 6 Pod XT Pro, Korg A3 and TC G-Major for a while. Then I went all pedals for a decade. Currently I use the Axe-FX 2 XL+ as my multi-FX again.

In those cases where I can't be bothered or unable to bring along my main rig I use a floor board multiFX. I've had the Line 6 Pod XT Live, a Line 6 Pod 500HD and now the AX-8.

I once tried
Tom Scholz Rockman
TC Electronic Nova System
TC Electronic voice processors and a few others I remember vaguely. Sold them shortly after or just sent them back. They all were far from sounding like my tube amps. I desperately looked for small gear (once in the late 70s went from a Super Twin to a lunchbox Gallien Kruger ;-)), but hated each of them.
I love my AX8. And my amps.

Last edited:
I forgot about the rack of Tom Scholz Rockman gear running through a JCM 800. I was also running a Roland GR-1 with that set-up for a short time.

Makes me chuckle when I think about what I can get out of my AX8 compared to what I used to haul around. Thanks for lightening the load FAS! :cool:

*Gallien-Krueger 100MPL
*Roland GP-100 / Rocktron Voodu Valve
*Axe-Fx Ultra
*Axe-Fx II Mk I
*AX8

Hello everyone, first time poster but long time lurker here.

I got my first guitar processor around '99, it was a ZOOM 4040. The distortions got that Metal Zone mosquito-fizz quality and had to put a BOSS DS-1 in the loop but overall it was a good unit for a beginner player. Then I got a BOSS GT-3 that lasted about two months before getting a Digitech GNX3 that I liked a lot because it's built-in multichannel recorder, but I had no amp to gig with, so around a year later I bought a Line 6 Flextone III and sold the GNX3 to buy the foot controller.

Got my first tube amp (Peavey JSX) around 10 years ago and since then I got a couple more processors to have fun with.

-Digitech GNX1 (for practice but died on me on a stormy night, LOL)
-TC Electronic Nova System (sounds awesome in the loop of the JSX, but since there's no 4CM, damn my pedalboard was heavy!!!)
-VOX stomplab (for practice, travel)

Currently have a POD HD500X and it is nice for recording demos with external IR's but now I'm waiting for my AX8 to arrive and hope is the end of it all, haha. :cool:

I had a DigiTech RP300. Man, that thing was terrible!

Young guitarists have it so easy today. Beginner combo amps and apps are so much better than the Squire, Crate, and Gorilla amps that haunted so many pawn shops.

Hi everyone, your all so cool for chiming in and sharing your gear memories, so many people with so much awesome gear of the day! for me being almost 60 I really appreciate everyone sharing memories of different gear they have used and jarring my memory to recall it... Its going to be very cool when someone starts a thread and says "I remember i bought a used AX8 30 years ago".... FAS really is a great community!
Happy Holiday's...

I seem to have moved on parallel paths in a weird order.

Guitar Processing/Amp Modelling...Guitar Synthesis/Guitar Modelling
...Roland GR-1+PRS Standard w/ GK-3
Digitech 2112/Mesa Simul 2:90...
Hughes and Kettner zenTera Combo...Roland GR-33+Fender Stratocaster w/ GK-3
Vox ToneLab SE(For some reason)...
Axe-FX Ultra...
Vox ToneLab LE(Trying to go smaller)...
Axe-FX II...
Axe-FX II XL...Line 6 JTV-69 Variax
...Roland VG-99+PRS Private Stock P515(Building a better Variax)
...Roland GR-55/Subsonic Filter(Trying to get a better VG-99)+Private Stock P515
...Line 6 JTV-59 Variax(a better playing Variax for rehearsals only)
AX-8...

At some time between the zenTera and ToneLab, I went back to tube amps and came back again. I think I wanted to experience the real thing, but it's really gotten so good now that I haven't turned on one in years.

Roland GP-8
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the granddaddy of modeling, the original Line 6 AxSys 212
AxSys 212.jpg
I upgraded to the new chip that made it an Ax2 212. They sent me a sticker that covered the old green panel. I gigged with that monstrosity for several years.
Line 6 XT Live
Line 6 X3 Live
AxeFx II/MFC 101 (just sold)
AX8

The best part is that my tube snob friend that owns Mesa's, Marshalls, Hughes & Kettner, Fender, Splawn, etc... is now in love with the AX8. Life is so good... Thanks FAS and Merry Christmas!

Wow that is a behemoth flashback I may vaguely remember seeing that in a catalog and forgive me please as I had no idea that monster even shipped/existed so your rocking the thread...are those 2x 10" in that amp?

Modeling wise
Art sge
Boss gt 6/8?
Digitech gnx2? Was very cool
Behringer blue pod
Few zoom mini pedals
Peavey vypr tube hybrid 2x12 still and actually quite awesome
Axe Fx 2 number 6? Built by cliff

Roland GP-8
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the granddaddy of modeling, the original Line 6 AxSys 212
View attachment 36859
I upgraded to the new chip that made it an Ax2 212. They sent me a sticker that covered the old green panel. I gigged with that monstrosity for several years.
Line 6 XT Live
Line 6 X3 Live
AxeFx II/MFC 101 (just sold)
AX8

The best part is that my tube snob friend that owns Mesa's, Marshalls, Hughes & Kettner, Fender, Splawn, etc... is now in love with the AX8. Life is so good... Thanks FAS and Merry Christmas!
Quite possibly one of the ugliest amps ever produced!

I chose the Johnson JM150 over this... Much more cool looking, and I liked the tones better.

I have been using a Peavey Transformer 1X12 as a practice amp for years. I can get good clean and dirty tones and the phase/flange sound really good. All I really need is a wah and this amp for any practice situation.

Wow that is a behemoth flashback I may vaguely remember seeing that in a catalog and forgive me please as I had no idea that monster even shipped/existed so your rocking the thread...are those 2x 10" in that amp?
2 Eminence 12's in that old beast. I swapped them out for celestions which really helped for the Marshall tones.

Back
Top Bottom