Strings.... Quality down... what to do? (Advice please)

Hi Joe,
I’ve had a couple of crap sets of slinky’s so won’t be trying them.
Thanks
Pauly

Used Ernie Ball #2222 (9-46) Hybrid Slinkies for decades. Tried Stringjoy's 9-46 set last year sometime, and really like them. They tweaked some string gauges in the middle, and the balance is better. The strings themselves feel smoother, too, as if polished....

This has been a good thread. Lots of votes for the nyxls. Court’s not yet out but I’m feeling good about the choice.
Thanks
Pauly

In my experience NYXL last a long time and really withstand finger oils and sweat.

I remember back when I’d buy Ernie Ball Slinky strings, and often they would get rusty with a couple days of use, or, more annoying, they’d be bent and kinked in the package, which meant they’d never ring true. I tried many other brands and the NYXL were my favorites. Paradigms were next.

I think both are very useful, good, choices.

Ernie Ball Slinky strings used to rust on me in a matter of a week. I have really acidic sweat to the point where I inadvertently etched my fingerprints into the tuning keys' plating on one my basses because I didn't wipe them down well enough.

I used the Dean Markley Blue Steel for a bit but then they became too spendy.

For the last 20 years I use d'Addario XL strings for both guitar and bass (pressure wound).

Hi Doctor,

Yes I'm off the Ernie balls too.... Looking forward to trying my new nyxls!

Thanks
Pauly
Ernie Ball Slinky strings used to rust on me in a matter of a week. I have really acidic sweat to the point where I inadvertently etched my fingerprints into the tuning keys' plating on one my basses because I didn't wipe them down well enough.

I used the Dean Markley Blue Steel for a bit but then they became too spendy.

For the last 20 years I use d'Addario XL strings for both guitar and bass (pressure wound).

D'addario have remained consistent over the several decades I've used them. Since you like bright, try the NYXL.
In the late 70's I worked in a vintage guitar store. Had a swamp cooler - great for the wood, not so much for strings. From May - September I changed strings constantly. D'Addarios lasted longer and didn't break. Ernie Ball strings were OK but tended to break more often. I became a D'Addario convert then and haven't looked back.

What about the Stringjoy strings? They are coming out with different lines. I got the broadways and put them on my HSH Suhr JS stanadard with the stock vintagey suhr pickups. I think they sound ok, and a little bit different. Same gauge.

I kind of want to go back to my EB Paradigms and NYXLs because I think it's my imagination, but thought I'd throw it out there to see what others thought.
Used Ernie Ball #2222 (9-46) Hybrid Slinkies for decades. Tried Stringjoy's 9-46 set last year sometime, and really like them. They tweaked some string gauges in the middle, and the balance is better. The strings themselves feel smoother, too, as if polished....
Ok, I missed this. That's what I thought too - like even, balanced in feel and sound. I was using EB Cobalt, Elixrs, Paradigm. I think these are lasting pretty good (the Stringjoy Broadways). I've played this guitar a lot since i put them on like last week? Or might have been the week before. I don't know, I think the Stringjoy videos, and keeping the boxes for points is fun too. But I'm here primarily for durability and tone, the fun and instructional videos are just a bonus 😀

I had two les pauls ship with stringjoy. They didnt feel bad (10-46) but still prefer my XL’s.

Hi Budda,

Well there you go - This is such a personal issue isn't it - no definitive 'right' answer. I'm looking forward to these new NYXLs, and hoping I can get my thought patterns back to music, motorcycling, and other more natural pursuits :cool: !

Thanks
Pauly

I had two les pauls ship with stringjoy. They didnt feel bad (10-46) but still prefer my XL’s.

I really should look into different strings.

I still have some Ernie Balls left over, but they only seem to last me a few days before they feel dead. It's been that way since I bought a big box of them a year or two ago.

NYXLs cost about twice as much but last a LOT longer. It just hurts to pay $13 for a pack of strings. But, well....we're all feeling that everywhere aren't we?

HI Marsonic,

13 bucks?.. I wish!... Have a look at the Australian prices - But I know what you mean. I've had no luck with EB strings either.... They either break or go dead so I found I just couldnt trust'em.

Thanks
Paul
I really should look into different strings.

I still have some Ernie Balls left over, but they only seem to last me a few days before they feel dead. It's been that way since I bought a big box of them a year or two ago.

NYXLs cost about twice as much but last a LOT longer. It just hurts to pay $13 for a pack of strings. But, well....we're all feeling that everywhere aren't we?

HI Marsonic,

13 bucks?.. I wish!... Have a look at the Australian prices - But I know what you mean. I've had no luck with EB strings either.... They either break or go dead so I found I just couldnt trust'em.

Thanks
Paul

I'm trying to remember breaking a string. I'm sure it's happened, but....I can't remember it. I play with a really light touch. They either sound dead or stop holding tuning, sometimes within days.

Looks like today 13 USD is 20 AUD. And you're paying to ship them across the Pacific. So, yeah...I can see that being expensive.

Yeah it sure adds up!
If you want to embrace the feeling of breaking a string, learn some Gilmore solos where he does some of those big bends! 😜
Thanks
Pauly

I'm trying to remember breaking a string. I'm sure it's happened, but....I can't remember it. I play with a really light touch. They either sound dead or stop holding tuning, sometimes within days.

Looks like today 13 USD is 20 AUD. And you're paying to ship them across the Pacific. So, yeah...I can see that being expensive.

Thanks for all the replies - Love this forum!
I just ordered a 3 pack of nyxl 1046 for the les Paul. If, after using a few sets I like them, I’ll stock up on them in all the gauges I need. At least something went well today!

Pauly
Just to add, Been playing forever and NYXL's are by far the best strings I have ever come across. They sound and feel fantastic and last a good long time comparatively speaking.
Before that I would go between Fender XL's and Ernie Ball slinkys.

I get between 2-3x longer use with them, so in the long run they’re saving me time and money.
Oh yeah.

I get a lot more than 2-3x longer than some of the packs of EBs I've had lately. They're cheaper per playing time. It's just annoying to have to buy them.

Just to add, Been playing forever and NYXL's are by far the best strings I have ever come across. They sound and feel fantastic and last a good long time comparatively speaking.
Before that I would go between Fender XL's and Ernie Ball slinkys.
And when you own a bunch of guitars, having strings that last a long time is a big deal. Just wish I liked Elixers.

Back
Top Bottom